Memory map and 2A03 register map

Discuss hardware-related topics, such as development cartridges, CopyNES, PowerPak, EPROMs, or whatever.

Moderator: Moderators

lidnariq

Re: 2A03 cutting-room floormetal

Post by lidnariq »

Memblers wrote:Can we be sure this for an IRQ instead of a much less interesting reset?
Looking at the picture of the die, the trace definitely would have gone to the /IRQ polysilicon:
nintendo_rp2a03_mz_mit20x_irq_traces.jpg
The red line on the left is irq_internal (from the frame IRQ and DPCM IRQ); the purple X is where they excised this timer's ability to generate an IRQ. At the bottom left (where the red line ends) is where irq_internal and irq_external are combined.

My best guess is that the 24 bits is because they thought people would use it to make an RTC, by setting it to 1789773 ( = 0x1B4F4D)

I think the bits are out of order, so I'm just going to arbitrarily reverse them. This is the opposite of the sim.

New insights: the bit written to $401F & $08 specifies whether the carry out from each bit in the counter is (Bit) or (Not bit), i.e. count up or count down. (via nodes 34 and 44)
the bits written to $401F & $11 control a 1-of-4 multiplexer (nodes 129, 134, 139, 140, 144) that appear to choose which clock source will be used. The clock sources seem to be a lot bit bizarre. though.

Writing to $401F with $40 high will cause an immediate reload. The value is gradually lost due to dynamic logic (really??)
$401F & $20 seems to hold whether there should be an automatic reload.

This seems to be a bug: the counter can't count when the value in it is nonzero: node 20 = AllBitsLow; inverted to make node 60 = AnyBitsHigh; node 60 pulls node 36 = CountEnabled low.

edit #large:

Code: Select all

$401F: [ELAC DxxC]
         |||| ||||
         |||+----+-- Clock enable source (??)
         |||  |++--- Something as-yet undetermined
         |||  +----- 1:count up; 0:count down
         ||+-------- 1:automatic reload when counter reaches 0
         |+--------- 1:reload immediately
         +---------- 1:IRQ enabled (counts regardless)
Myask

Post by Myask »

lidnariq wrote:
Memblers wrote:Can we be sure this for an IRQ instead of a much less interesting reset?
Looking at the picture of the die, the trace definitely would have gone to the /IRQ polysilicon:
nintendo_rp2a03_mz_mit20x_irq_traces.jpg
The red line on the left is irq_internal (from the frame IRQ and DPCM IRQ); the purple X is where they excised this timer's ability to generate an IRQ. At the bottom left (where the red line ends) is where irq_internal and irq_external are combined.

My best guess is that the 24 bits is because they thought people would use it to make an RTC, by setting it to 1789773 ( = 0x1B4F4D)

I think the bits are out of order, so I'm just going to arbitrarily reverse them. This is the opposite of the sim.

New insights: the bit written to $401F & $08 specifies whether the carry out from each bit in the counter is (Bit) or (Not bit), i.e. count up or count down. (via nodes 34 and 44)
the bits written to $401F & $11 control a 1-of-4 multiplexer (nodes 129, 134, 139, 140, 144) that appear to choose which clock source will be used. The clock sources seem to be a lot bit bizarre. though.

Writing to $401F with $40 high will cause an immediate reload. The value is gradually lost due to dynamic logic (really??)
$401F & $20 seems to hold whether there should be an automatic reload.

This seems to be a bug: the counter can't count when the value in it is nonzero: node 20 = AllBitsLow; inverted to make node 60 = AnyBitsHigh; node 60 pulls node 36 = CountEnabled low.

edit #large:

$401F: [ELAC DxxC]
         |||| ||||
         |||+----+-- Clock enable source (??)
         |||  |++--- Something as-yet undetermined
         |||  +----- 1:count up; 0:count down
         ||+-------- 1:automatic reload when counter reaches 0
         |+--------- 1:reload immediately
         +---------- 1:IRQ enabled (counts regardless)
So pretty much every bit is inverted and backwards from what you're expecting? Fascinating.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

Myask wrote:So pretty much every bit is inverted and backwards from what you're expecting?
Backwards, yes... not inverted. (Well, spatially inverted. Not logically.)

All 24 bits are like this:
mysterycounter.png
mysterycounter.png (5.23 KiB) Viewed 15677 times
(I've erased some of the metal and polysilicon for clarity) They really liked their transmission gates in this era.

It's a synchronous up/down counter. Carry out indicates whether the next more significant bit should toggle on the next φ0. It always flows from top to bottom; at the end of each 8 bits there's a big hook that goes to the next one. Carry out from the last bit doesn't go anywhere (node 307).

——

From left to right, the columns in 2a03dead are: I/O buffers to 2A03-internal data bus; 8 LSBs of counter, 8 middle bits of counter; 8 MSBs of counter; control logic; 8 bits of ... broken prescaler? I guess I can fix that:

The control bits ($11) seem to be:
* $00 = 1/8th prescaler (not ÷16 ??)
* $01 = Count rising edges on JOY2
* $10 = 1/128th prescaler (not ÷256 ??)
* $11 = Count falling edges on JOY2

All of these options are inscrutable:
* Why is there no smaller prescaler option?
* Why would we need to count 2³¹ cycles? That's 20 minutes. It seems Memblers was on to something?
* JOY2 is normally an output controlled by software. But even if it was an input, why would we want to be able to count a choice of rising edges or falling edges?

Requesting a load (either by writing to $401F with $40 set or the automatic reload) also clears the prescaler.

Also, I don't quite trust those exact prescalers; I think they "should" be ÷16 and ÷256 given the number of bits in-between.

——

There's two places in the control logic where things were meant to be readable, but are miswired (there's no "read from $401F" signal and it incorrectly uses the "write to $401F" signal):

$401F reads: [Exxx xxxI]
              |||| ||||
              |||| |||+-- Interrupt would be requested
              |+++-+++--- special internal-timer open bus value
              +---------- Interrupt is allowed to be requested (i.e. value written to $401F & $80)
(Look at nodes 875 and 916)

Reads from $401F are detected and do acknowledge the interrupt.

——

Oh, speaking of errors, they're incorrectly generating all the "read from $401C/D/E" strobes ... detecting writes instead of reads.

There's a missing polysilicon-metal junction with node 356. It should be connected to node 60, but isn't. (in hardware. Obviously the sim doesn't have it either.)

And the $401F & $06 bits are still inscrutable ... but it appears to be some alternate function for JOY1.

$401F & $04 = directly controls JOY1. When the count becomes 0, it causes both $06 bits to invert.
$401F & $02 = doesn't appear to actually change anything, even though the latched value toggles.

I have no idea what this functionality was intended to be.
kevtris

Re: Memory map and 2A03 register map

Post by kevtris »

Can we move this to hardware? I didn't even know this thread existed until memblers told me at work yesterday. I tried to find the thread but couldn't because it was here. I had to ask where the thread was to be able to find it. thanx.
/* this is a comment */
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

Maybe split here ... but leave this post behind.
mkwong98

Post by mkwong98 »

So are those two pages getting fixed?
tepples

Post by tepples »

I have added information to those pages, but I fear that my addition may distract and/or confuse novices.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

I added a stub article so that there's a central place to put this information on the Wiki, instead of scattering it in fragmented commentary throughout other articles:

http://wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php/CPU_Test_Mode

I tried to link some of the threads where it's been talked about there, and wrote a very succinct summary for a stub, but I'd appreciate someone who is more knowledgable about it making more of an article out of it.