Nesdev.com funding

Discuss technical or other issues relating to programming the Nintendo Entertainment System, Famicom, or compatible systems. See the NESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

How should I fund a new server

Keep the ads, but make them fit in better
35%
Ditch the ads and accept donations
55%
Neither option (please specify and alternative in a reply to this post)
9%

Total votes: 65

Rahsennor

Re: Nesdev.com funding

Post by Rahsennor »

I just remembered why I don't like PayPal... they won't take my money. :roll:
Myask

Post by Myask »

zzo38 wrote:Here is the code for using it with Stylish
Handy, thanks.
WhoaMan wrote:We have had a few donations already. I have a crude ledger up at http://nesdev.com/donate/.
Wouldn't table format be better?
zzo38

Post by zzo38 »

Myask wrote:
WhoaMan wrote:We have had a few donations already. I have a crude ledger up at http://nesdev.com/donate/.
I agree I would think so too.
(Free Hero Mesh - FOSS puzzle game engine)
WhoaMan

Post by WhoaMan »

zzo38 wrote:
Myask wrote:
I agree I would think so too.
the current ledger is more of a temp one. I am working on a new database driven system for the main domain and will replace that static page when it is ready. a couple lines of CSS will make it more table like for bigger screens and similar to how it currently is on smaller screens.
i dont have much to say
WhoaMan

Post by WhoaMan »

As of earlier today, we are at $576.36 of our $600 goal for a new server. Once the $600 goal has been met, I will remove the donate banner from the top of the forums but keep the donate page up on nesdev.com with any remaining donations going towards the co-location fees.

thanks again for all the support in getting the new server and the upcoming changes :)
i dont have much to say
WhoaMan

Post by WhoaMan »

We had three donations come in after that last post, we have surpassed the goal and are now at $749.45. Since we have reached the goal, the donate button has been removed from the corner of the forums. It looks like we should have our new server and get it up and running sometime between the 2nd and 9th.

thanks again to everyone who donated :)
i dont have much to say
B00daW

Post by B00daW »

We did it! I knew we could. :)
koitsu

Post by koitsu »

Consider me very impressed that the donations were so high -- all for pretty much 1 site (I think) -- and that puts a smile on my face. I think we live in different times now, as had I applied this exact approach for Parodius as a whole, there is no chance in hell we would've gotten US$500+ donations, and I would have been chastised and lectured in full by every user/visitor/community member for it (re: "this is highly invasive" etc.). Remarkable how times change.
WhoaMan

Post by WhoaMan »

koitsu wrote:Consider me very impressed that the donations were so high -- all for pretty much 1 site (I think) -- and that puts a smile on my face. I think we live in different times now, as had I applied this exact approach for Parodius as a whole, there is no chance in hell we would've gotten US$500+ donations, and I would have been chastised and lectured in full by every user/visitor/community member for it (re: "this is highly invasive" etc.). Remarkable how times change.
I myself am rather impressed with this as well. I personally did not want to try out the ads or donations and felt strange in doing so... but it has worked out well. the new parts should start arriving tomorrow and i should have the new server built Wednesday night. hopefully i can get it in place either this Friday or the following Monday. I should have pictures of both the old and new hardware :)
i dont have much to say
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

koitsu wrote:Consider me very impressed that the donations were so high -- all for pretty much 1 site (I think) -- and that puts a smile on my face. I think we live in different times now, as had I applied this exact approach for Parodius as a whole, there is no chance in hell we would've gotten US$500+ donations, and I would have been chastised and lectured in full by every user/visitor/community member for it (re: "this is highly invasive" etc.). Remarkable how times change.
Note that this is because one particular campain has just been made to gather donations, and that there was no precedent on this. This probably won't work as well the next time, where people could say "I already donated" or whathever.

Also the active members here probably increased.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Long ago I wrote a script to snapshot phpBB 2, but I haven't updated it for 3. I do have static versions of wwwThreads (the old forum prior to November 2004) and the wiki, and I've updated the wiki snapshot today.

The static copy of wwwThreads is 9.1 MB uncompressed and may keep you from needing to reinstall wwwThreads, so long as you write a simple script at http://nesdev.com/cgi-bin/wwwthreads/wwwthreads.pl to point to the appropriate page in the static copy. The less active but unmaintained software, the better. Or is that not a problem?
zzo38

Post by zzo38 »

Next time, give the donation box its own ID, so that you don't have to do like was posted above, in case the user wishes to hide or move it. Other stuff on the page should also be given its own ID in case the user wishes to hide or move (or resize) them, such as the style buttons when writing a message, colours when writing a message, etc. (If you want, you could give them a new ID each time a new donation campaign starts, so that the user will see each one at least once. If you want it both ways (hide it permanently, and hide it only per campaign), assign it both a class and a ID!)
(Free Hero Mesh - FOSS puzzle game engine)
mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt »

I've signed up for a small recurring payment. I'll "subscribe" to NESDev - on my own volition!
jwdonal

Post by jwdonal »

WhoaMan wrote:We had three donations come in after that last post, we have surpassed the goal and are now at $749.45. Since we have reached the goal, the donate button has been removed from the corner of the forums. It looks like we should have our new server and get it up and running sometime between the 2nd and 9th.

thanks again to everyone who donated :)
Hmm..unfortunately I wasn't following this and just caught up now. Are donations still needed or do you have everything you need? If more is needed I can help...
snarfblam

Post by snarfblam »

Bregalad wrote: Note that this is because one particular campain has just been made to gather donations, and that there was no precedent on this. This probably won't work as well the next time, where people could say "I already donated" or whathever.
Based on my experience with a few other sites, raising funds annually in this manner tends to be consistently successful.

jwdonal wrote:Are donations still needed or do you have everything you need? If more is needed I can help...
We are currently at $749.45 and have surpassed our $600 goal for a new server