Tool to compile Family Basic program to .NES file

Discuss technical or other issues relating to programming the Nintendo Entertainment System, Famicom, or compatible systems. See the NESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

lancuster

Re: Tool to compile Family Basic program to .NES file

Post by lancuster »

tepples wrote:Zoom in on a photo and see it's the key next to semicolon, which is probably the quotation mark key on your keyboard.
On this emulator colon is not working. The rest - all OK, but on the VirtuaNES... :(
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

Yeah I just tried it too and colon just doesn't seem to work on VirtuaNES, semicolon works but not colon. Also I can't find the GRPH key. The kana key seems to be F12.

You can do like I did and write you program in Nestopia (or MESS or even on a real Family BASIC V3 cart), save the program on tape and then load the tape in VirtuaNES. Nestopia uses the same tape-image format, just with a different file extension.
lancuster

Post by lancuster »

Pokun wrote:Yeah I just tried it too and colon just doesn't seem to work on VirtuaNES, semicolon works but not colon. Also I can't find the GRPH key. The kana key seems to be F12.

You can do like I did and write you program in Nestopia (or MESS or even on a real Family BASIC V3 cart), save the program on tape and then load the tape in VirtuaNES. Nestopia uses the same tape-image format, just with a different file extension.
Why is everything so difficult with this emulator? Then let's figure out how to import saves from Nestopia.
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

Not the normal battery RAM save files, but the tape-image files.
Just take the *.tp tape-image file and rename it to *.vtp (you might not even need to rename it) and it should play in VirtuaNES.

If you type the program on a real Famicom you'll need to record it to a wav file and convert it to tp/vtp format like this:
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index ... #msg114035

I attached the English translated Family BASIC manuals to this post in case you don't know how to save to tape. Remember that SSTONES only works with V3 and tapes from V2.1 or earlier are not compatible with V3, so type the program on a V3 cart.
Attachments
fambasv3_t.txt
Family BASIC manual translation (WIP)
(41.06 KiB) Downloaded 181 times
fabaman-t_v1.0.txt
Family BASIC manual translation v1.0
(43.32 KiB) Downloaded 181 times
lancuster

Post by lancuster »

Pokun wrote:Not the normal battery RAM save files, but the tape-image files.
Just take the *.tp tape-image file and rename it to *.vtp (you might not even need to rename it) and it should play in VirtuaNES.

If you type the program on a real Famicom you'll need to record it to a wav file and convert it to tp/vtp format like this:
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index ... #msg114035

I attached the English translated Family BASIC manuals to this post in case you don't know how to save to tape. Remember that SSTONES only works with V3 and tapes from V2.1 or earlier are not compatible with V3, so type the program on a V3 cart.
Sorry, I'm not interested. I am wondering how to run saves from Nestopia on VirtuaNES, and why the "colon" isn't working.
lancuster

Post by lancuster »

Why Japanese craftsmen did not think to support saves from other emulators? Why do we have to resort to such distortions? I, for one, will not go for it, while the newcomers - especially.
MrElephant

Post by MrElephant »

I apologize for posting on a semi dead topic, but this question has been poking at the back of my mind for several-months now. Say you write a program that requires input from the user, like from the keyboard. The nes doesnt have a keyboard, so how would that ever work? Am I just missing something, or am I just being dumb. Maybe some of both.

Thanks.
Memblers
Site Admin

Post by Memblers »

MrElephant wrote:I apologize for posting on a semi dead topic, but this question has been poking at the back of my mind for several-months now. Say you write a program that requires input from the user, like from the keyboard. The nes doesnt have a keyboard, so how would that ever work? Am I just missing something, or am I just being dumb. Maybe some of both.

Thanks.
It's a problem if you want the keyboard, that can only work if you connect a Famicom keyboard to the NES expansion port (this can be done using chykn's ENIO board)

Looks like the controllers have their own BASIC command, STICK. So if the controller would be enough, you're fine if you don't use INPUT, LINPUT, or INKEY$.
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

Yeah you use STICK (dpad) and STRIG (the other 4 buttons) for reading the controller buttons.