Hi-Def NES HDMI Adapter for the NES

Discuss hardware-related topics, such as development cartridges, CopyNES, PowerPak, EPROMs, or whatever.

Moderator: Moderators

MP2E

Re: Hi-Def NES HDMI Adapter for the NES

Post by MP2E »

I would love to use the unsaturated v6 pallete, in particular, which was posted before me!

EDIT: also was wondering if there's a way to decrease the "shimmering" effect when scrolling horizontally at non-integer scales? Only reason I ask is because the AVS seems to do a slightly better job at this at the moment, albeit still not perfectly. It'd still be a very welcome improvement!
thomas83lin

Post by thomas83lin »

More options is always better, now we just need a couple of the best color palettes to be listed.

Edit: Testing out a few different palettes on a emu, I found SONY_CXA2025AS_US.pal looked the best to me.Download

SMB sceenshot using it.
http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/9653/1 ... wm1r7g.jpg
Check out my WiiU\Wii\VC\Wiiware Codes from me Here or get my codes on the Geckocode Database Here
tepples

Post by tepples »

Is there any way to write the palette separately to flash memory? If so, one might make specially crafted NES ROMs that contain a palette and flashing code, which would allow EverDrive and PowerPak users to add a custom palette.
kevtris

Post by kevtris »

MP2E wrote:I would love to use the unsaturated v6 pallete, in particular, which was posted before me!

EDIT: also was wondering if there's a way to decrease the "shimmering" effect when scrolling horizontally at non-integer scales? Only reason I ask is because the AVS seems to do a slightly better job at this at the moment, albeit still not perfectly. It'd still be a very welcome improvement!
Are you comparing 1080p vs. 720p though? at 720 it's possible that the TV's built in scaler is doing some blending. I think the solution people are going for is to just use integer scaling right now. I don't have enough resources to do any other type of horizontal blending/interpolation on it.
/* this is a comment */
kevtris

Post by kevtris »

tepples wrote:Is there any way to write the palette separately to flash memory? If so, one might make specially crafted NES ROMs that contain a palette and flashing code, which would allow EverDrive and PowerPak users to add a custom palette.
not really. the code ROM only has maybe 30 bytes free in it so I can't really add any new software features, either (that and I'm fairly busy with this nt project so I don't really have time to add such things)
/* this is a comment */
MP2E

Post by MP2E »

kevtris wrote: Are you comparing 1080p vs. 720p though? at 720 it's possible that the TV's built in scaler is doing some blending. I think the solution people are going for is to just use integer scaling right now. I don't have enough resources to do any other type of horizontal blending/interpolation on it.
Ah that I am! That makes a lot of sense, thanks for your insight.
Adamcarter

Post by Adamcarter »

I second the unsaturated v6 pallete. This update will work on the 2nd edition nt? Or just hi def nes?
Actually i would like to use the recently posted nes classic color palate.
Kevtris, we know you are busy, but would love this thanks.

MP2E wrote:I would love to use the unsaturated v6 pallete, in particular, which was posted before me!

Last edited by Adamcarter on Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
philenotfound

Post by philenotfound »

I was wondering how clock generation is implemented with Hi-Def NES? Or how autodetection for PAL/NTSC works.
I was thinking of piggybacking PAL/NTSC PPUs and CPUs, with one pair held in reset while the other is active.

From what I understood so far the Hi-Def NES generates the clock itself (probably has to for under-/overclocking), but does it rely the original clock to decide whether it's a PAL or a NTSC system?
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

philenotfound wrote:I was thinking of piggybacking PAL/NTSC PPUs
Won't work.
and CPUs, with one pair held in reset while the other is active.
That will work.

See https://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?t=13851 .
RGBSource

Post by RGBSource »

It would be really awesome if Kevtris could add the original FCEUX palette and the two palettes I created recently. The workflow for capturing and sampling the NES' composite video signal makes a difference in the end result!
Chows

Post by Chows »

I got a Hi-Def NES kit out of the latest batch from Game-Tech, and straight away I want to say it's an incredible piece of kit. The install is relatively easy and the output is gorgeous and completely lag-free. Love it.

I have found that VRC6 expansion audio isn't working correctly on my system, though. Here's a clip with what I'm getting from Akumajou Densetsu https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIQ9sIfL00E (the sound got pretty quiet when I uploaded to YouTube, sorry about that)

Using an Everdrive N8 on a toploader NES-101. I've tested VRC7 through Lagrange Point and Sunsoft 5B on Gimmick and both sound perfectly fine so I'm thinking it's probably not a hardware issue. Maybe a glitch with the Hi-Def NES 2.25 firmware? Couldn't find a download for 2.0 to see if the problem is present there.

Wondering if anyone else has come across this. Maybe Kev has some ideas?
RGBSource

Post by RGBSource »

Chows wrote:I got a Hi-Def NES kit out of the latest batch from Game-Tech, and straight away I want to say it's an incredible piece of kit. The install is relatively easy and the output is gorgeous and completely lag-free. Love it.

I have found that VRC6 expansion audio isn't working correctly on my system, though. Here's a clip with what I'm getting from Akumajou Densetsu...

In addition to enabling VRC6 you have to enable VRC6 SWAP to get expansion audio working for Akumajou Densetsu.
mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt »

RGBSource wrote:
Chows wrote:I got a Hi-Def NES kit out of the latest batch from Game-Tech, and straight away I want to say it's an incredible piece of kit. The install is relatively easy and the output is gorgeous and completely lag-free. Love it.

I have found that VRC6 expansion audio isn't working correctly on my system, though. Here's a clip with what I'm getting from Akumajou Densetsu...

In addition to enabling VRC6 you have to enable VRC6 SWAP to get expansion audio working for Akumajou Densetsu.
Considering Akumajou Densetsu is nearly the only VRC6 game most users will care about playing, why isn't VRC SWAP the default?
Chows

Post by Chows »

RGBSource wrote: In addition to enabling VRC6 you have to enable VRC6 SWAP to get expansion audio working for Akumajou Densetsu.
You know, I would've sworn I'd already tried that but you're absolutely right. I must've tried turning on SWAP without also enabling the main VRC6. Thanks so much for the help, it sounds just awesome now!
purplet

Post by purplet »

I've received mine out of the latest batch and installed it in a PAL front loader. Installation was pretty easy but I have an issue with distorted image. http://imgur.com/a/8NkjY
It flickers between this and normal a couple of times per second. Is this some sort of CPU/PPU incompatibility or did I screw something up? One of the flat flex cable got sharply bend in shipping and the other one is pinched but they seem fine (checked connections with multimeter). I haven't got another screen to test with but the menu is ok so I don't think it's screen related.
Anyone got any tips on what to check?