A show of hands...

Discuss NSF files, FamiTracker, MML tools, or anything else related to NES music.

Moderator: Moderators

Roth

A show of hands...

Post by Roth »

After writing a new NES tune for either a game or just to write one, right after you are finished with it and you consider it 100% done, do you listen to it over and over and over and just jam out like nobody's business? I know I do! haha Who else partakes in their own splendor around here?
Pokun

Re: A show of hands...

Post by Pokun »

Almost everytime I manage to do something really cool that just works seemingly perfectly, I just end up keep staring/listening at/to it over and over, enjoying my own splendor for a while. lol
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

I don't do this with music, since music is not among my talents, but I do something similar with pretty much anything else I create. If it's an illustration, I'll stare at it for a good while thinking about all the little details, if it's an animation, I'll leave it looping for hours. If it's something interactive, like a webpage component or a game engine, I'll stress it to no end, doing everything as frenetically as I can, and feel good that it doesn't break.
Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

Yes, I would listen to a while if I did something that I found good enough.

What I hate the most though is to have many ideas that I never had the chance to write down as music. Sometime the song feels good enough and it stick but no time to write it down. Or is slowly start to get an image with specific instrument but I know I couldn't reproduce it that way. So I can only play it "in my head".

Or worse, have a good idea and cannot hum it down/write it down and be lost forever. That I hate a lot.
Roth

Post by Roth »

Yeah, this definitely applies to all other instances of creating something. I think it has to do with being happy with what you've done. But there are times where I think, "okay, I'm getting carried away with reveling in this." haha
Banshaku wrote:Or worse, have a good idea and cannot hum it down/write it down and be lost forever. That I hate a lot.
When I was working as a janitor, I used to carry my non-hooked up phone around with me and use it to record myself when an idea popped into my head. I can't sing worth crap though, so usually I ended up with at least the rhythm to my idea!
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

Roth wrote:When I was working as a janitor, I used to carry my non-hooked up phone around with me and use it to record myself when an idea popped into my head.
I do occasionally record melodies that pop into my head too, specially now that any phone is capable of recording audio with the press of a button. Humming or whistling in public is generally acceptable, but I can see it being a problem if you work in a quiet office or something.
mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt »

Roth wrote:After writing a new NES tune for either a game or just to write one, right after you are finished with it and you consider it 100% done, do you listen to it over and over and over and just jam out like nobody's business? I know I do! haha Who else partakes in their own splendor around here?
I do this, but more with the intent of finding small things to change or add.
Roth

Post by Roth »

tokumaru wrote:I can see it being a problem if you work in a quiet office or something.
Liven those places up! hehe

@ mikejmoffitt
I tend to find myself in nitpick mode if I do that too much. Conversely though, you can end up in an instance where if you listen to something long enough that you thought about changing, but didn't, then it sounds natural to you, so you end up not knowing if you should've changed it and it would've sounded better or not. Always with the decisions to make : P
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

I don't think any form of art is ever objectively finished. If you don't stop yourself, you'll forever want to tweak pixels or music. If you want to get things done, you must be able to declare something "done" and move on.