NES Repro - Getting sound but no picture

A place that you can discuss reproduction of classic titles or "licensed-for-reproduction" homebrew for personal use.

Moderators: B00daW, Moderators

Forum rules
1. NO BLATANT PIRACY. This includes reproducing homebrew less than 10 years old, with the exception of free software.
2. No advertising your reproductions, with the exception of free software.
3. Be nice. See RFC 1855 if you aren't sure what this means.
ramiq27

NES Repro - Getting sound but no picture

Post by ramiq27 »

I'm fairly new to NES Repros. I've done 15-20 repros in the past without any issues.

Lately however the last three tries have ended in failure.

My latest is giving me sound but no picture. The one before it gave me scrambled graphics. And the first try ended up with no image or sound.

Here's some info:

I am using m27c2001 EPROMS on TLROM boards.

Any idea what the problem is?

Any help is appreciated.
rainwarrior

Re: NES Repro - Getting sound but no picture

Post by rainwarrior »

If you get sound and can verify by that the game is running correctly, then you've probably got the PRG wired correctly, and the lack of picture may be due to faulty CHR wiring, so perhaps focus your attention there.

If you have sound but it doesn't sound like the game is fully operational (despite the lack of picture) then PRG could be a problem still as well.
getafixx

Post by getafixx »

Are all three boards using the same game? Could be a bad ROM dump, or a bad patch.
ramiq27

Post by ramiq27 »

rainwarrior wrote:If you get sound and can verify by that the game is running correctly, then you've probably got the PRG wired correctly, and the lack of picture may be due to faulty CHR wiring, so perhaps focus your attention there.

If you have sound but it doesn't sound like the game is fully operational (despite the lack of picture) then PRG could be a problem still as well.
I have checked and rechecked my wiring and cannot find any faults in both PRG and CHR. I will have another look.
getafixx wrote:Are all three boards using the same game? Could be a bad ROM dump, or a bad patch.
I have used the same files multiple times before and had no issues.

I am starting to suspect my programmer now. I am using TOP3000. Burning the EPROMs completes and verifies without any issues however.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

On the off-chance that this is the problem...
UVEPROMs get slower after every erase cycle, but they'll still validate in a programmer.