What is wrong with the NES Classic Edition noise emulation?

Discuss emulation of the Nintendo Entertainment System and Famicom.

Moderator: Moderators

Zepper
Formerly Fx3

Re: What is wrong with the NES Classic Edition noise emulati

Post by Zepper »

Now... the license discussion (offtopic) and the hardware/noise discussion.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Trying to rerail:

I watched a review, and I heard the difference between popping a balloon in Balloon Trip in Balloon Fight on the NES Classic Edition's emulator compared to my authentic Game Pak in my NES. The noise is noticeably lower pitched on the emulator.
Drag

Post by Drag »

Seconded, it sounds like it's lower pitched, and the higher pitches sound louder. That could be due to aliasing or due to the lower pitch. The lower pitch itself can be caused by lots of things, but I wonder if maybe the period table is missing an entry.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Then the question becomes which games on the system have all sixteen noise periods so that someone with one of these can make videos from whose audio we can derive the period table that Nintendo used.

This console's output doesn't use HDCP, does it?
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

Ice climber of course when you get game over.
edit: okay, maybe not, but that's 8 consecutive noise tones there.
HDCP isn't the one that distorts sound, that's Cinavia. And HDCP can be defeated with a Y-adapter cable.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

To be pedantic, that's because splitting HDMI necessarily requires stripping (and optionally re-adding) HDCP, because HDCP was only ever designed for a one-emitter one-receiver context (key exchange).
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

rainwarrior wrote: Looking a little more closely at it, it's not just a horizontal offset. There is some kind of attempt to simulate the colour artifacts, and it does seem to have a repeating 3 line pattern like it should. It looks really bad
It's baffling for me that they even try simulating a horrible composite image. It doesn't really matter to me that it doesn't look completely like NTSC. It's a horrible image that tries to look like a horrible image, as long as it looks really bad it succeeds in my book, and says a lot about the target audience for this product.
I would rather have liked to see them spend that effort trying to make a nice scanline filter that simulates proper RGB quality. That would probably have been a lot easier, too.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Dwedit wrote:HDCP isn't the one that distorts sound, that's Cinavia.
True. But HDCP would still block making a recording of audio from the device.

That's related to one of the things I blame for the failure of the OUYA console: it used HDCP on its only video output, and even a game's own developer couldn't turn that off to make promotional videos for YouTube.
thesubcon3

Post by thesubcon3 »

koitsu wrote:
Great Hierophant wrote:Several of these reviewers are not using 60fps, so their videos will be choppy. GameXplain's 1-hour streaming video was not, but the sheer ignorance of the commentator made it even worse.
Therein lies the ruse: that is the *exact* demographic this NES Classic Edition product caters to: people who don't know any better. It's a shitty "retro hipster" trend. It'll die eventually, rest assured, but probably not as soon as I'd like/hope.
All of this nonsense is exactly why I don't even want to get one of these plug 'n plays. I was going to get one for my daughter's room, but I don't want to taint her memories with an inferior product when she can just play the NES with me in my game room. I might just get the PAL version and leave it in the box as it matches my NES box, but then again, I probably won't bother if it is a crappy product.
zeroone

Post by zeroone »

Returning to the open source license discussion:

More here.
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

LOL at Intel Highly Optimized Math for Itanium...
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
LocalH

Post by LocalH »

For those curious, Nintendo's OSS page.

Last download at the bottom of the page is the NES Classic Edition.
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Post by FrankenGraphics »

I wouldn't be so concerned if it wasn't for the noise effects starting to convey other things than they were supposed to. In baloonfight, the deeper/harder sound of the baloons popping sound more like some sort of slam or crash.

Would it have cost them that much to do a little a/b quality control? :roll: