Problems creating new user account

Found an issue with the phpBB system here at NESdev? Use this forum to report problems.

Moderator: Moderators

infiniteneslives

Problems creating new user account

Post by infiniteneslives »

Someone contacted me recently as they were unable to create a user account on the forum here. I really don't know enough about the user account creation process to provide assistance. I'm guessing there isn't any contact info posted anywhere in the process on how to get assistance on creating an account which can make getting help challenging..

Here's what was messaged to me, I'll link them to this thread so they can see someone's suggestion here and allow them to create their account.
every time I click on Register, I'm taken to ToS page (accept/decline) then once accepted, I'm taken back to Login with an error stating that I need to log in in order to access control panel, which I can't without creating user/password.
If you're gonna play the Game Boy, you gotta learn to play it right. -Kenny Rogers
tepples

Re: Problems creating new user account

Post by tepples »

I'm guessing it has something to do with mitigation for recent spam attacks.
Memblers
Site Admin

Post by Memblers »

Ah, everything works great until it doesn't.

I had changed how the user account registration works, but it looks like the problem must have started when I changed it back to the original setting. It wasn't anything fancy or custom in any way, just selecting a different option in the admin control panel. So I don't know what the hell is going on. I tried purging the cached files, no change. This is weird. I'd understand it breaking if we had installed a mod or something, but changing a basic option in the control panel? I don't get it.

Guess I'll have to put in a support request on the phpBB forum.
tepples

Post by tepples »

And phpBB forum is likely to make you upgrade to the latest version of phpBB before offering any other support.
Memblers
Site Admin

Post by Memblers »

It looks like this version is supported until Jan 1st, maybe we just barely qualify for support. I put in the request, we'll see if anyone knows.

If it's not fixable soon, it's such a weird problem that it might be best to try setting up a test server and see how a migration would go. Kind of a pain, but not having new registrations is an intolerable problem. We usually have about 1 registration per day, hopefully these folks will stick around while this is being resolved.
thefox

Post by thefox »

Memblers wrote:If it's not fixable soon, it's such a weird problem that it might be best to try setting up a test server and see how a migration would go. Kind of a pain, but not having new registrations is an intolerable problem. We usually have about 1 registration per day, hopefully these folks will stick around while this is being resolved.
Is it possible to add a notification on top of the registration page that it's having issues?
Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: fo.aspekt.fi
Memblers
Site Admin

Post by Memblers »

It seems to be working again. I didn't change anything, at this time we can either curse the gremlins or thank the admin fairy, I'm not sure which.
infiniteneslives

Post by infiniteneslives »

I asked them to try again now that things appear to be working, so we'll see how that goes.
If you're gonna play the Game Boy, you gotta learn to play it right. -Kenny Rogers