Up-to-date WLA DX binaries

Discussion of hardware and software development for Super NES and Super Famicom. See the SNESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
  • For making cartridges of your Super NES games, see Reproduction.
Ramsis

Re: Up-to-date SNES assembler binaries

Post by Ramsis »

Haven't messed with snescom for a while, but after a quick test I can confirm that my Win binaries don't work on Win 10 at all either.

Then again, I haven't used my Windows installation for ages, as there was no need to do so. Therefore, and because snescom is widely known to suck anyway, I hereby proclaim once and for all times that I won't be held responsible for any and all consequences which might arise from using the binaries I used to provide.

Or, to be even more clear on the matter:

Snescom sucks!
In other words, it's utter crap!
Stay away from it!
Some of my projects:
Furry RPG!
Unofficial SNES PowerPak firmware
(See my GitHub profile for more)
Revenant

Post by Revenant »

Ramsis wrote:snescom is widely known to suck anyway
According to whom, and why? I've never heard anybody express any kind of criticism over it (maybe just because it has so few users in the first place).

Here's my own personal (old) 32-bit build of snescom-1.7.4.1 for Windows, with the runtime DLLs included as they should be:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/43107309/snescom.7z
qwertymodo

Post by qwertymodo »

Since it was recently brought to my attention that bass v14 is along several of the static files missing from byuu's website after one of his last server migrations, I uploaded it to RHDN, and have it mirrored here as well: https://dl.qwertymodo.com/bass_v14.tar.xz
Ramsis

Re: Up-to-date WLA DX binaries

Post by Ramsis »

New binaries in the OP. :)
Some of my projects:
Furry RPG!
Unofficial SNES PowerPak firmware
(See my GitHub profile for more)
ihugmyself

Post by ihugmyself »

Hey guys, I have been trying to get the newest release compiled with Cmake and I'm getting a lot of stupid errors, following the install instructions it looks like it's for Unix? I have tried to run different pre-compiled release versions, such as:
SnakeSnoke wrote:https://github.com/vhelin/wla-dx/releases

*edit* Version 9.8a (16-May-2018) of WLA DX, built from the sources in GitHub:
http://www.villehelin.com/wla-win32.html
And a Command Prompt opens and closes instantly, on all the versions I have tried. (Win10)
I'd super appreciate any help getting this working.
Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

Since you have windows 10, I would recommend that you install the Windows subsystem for linux (WSL) and to compile it in that environment. Most of the command lines tools are often more easy to compile in a *nix environment and WSL does improve your chances of compiling it properly compared to other tools that in the past. I think I compiled it once but I did a reset of WSL so I may try it again and see if there is any specific step to do if you get stuck and don't know how to do it.

The best is to just git clone from WSL and build from there. You may need to install a few tools that it depends on (like cmake) before being able to built it properly.
ihugmyself

Post by ihugmyself »

Banshaku wrote:Since you have windows 10, I would recommend that you install the Windows subsystem for linux (WSL) and to compile it in that environment. Most of the command lines tools are often more easy to compile in a *nix environment and WSL does improve your chances of compiling it properly compared to other tools that in the past. I think I compiled it once but I did a reset of WSL so I may try it again and see if there is any specific step to do if you get stuck and don't know how to do it.

The best is to just git clone from WSL and build from there. You may need to install a few tools that it depends on (like cmake) before being able to built it properly.
I got WSL, fixed a bunch of errors I was having with Cmake, now I can't figure out how to cross platform build. Using -A "Win32", deleting CMakeCache, It's spitting out this error:

Code: Select all

CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:24 (project):
  Generator

Unix Makefiles

does not support platform specification, but platform

Win32

was specified.
I'm not the best with Cmake, and I've used it before; Linux isn't my favorite OS, but I feel like I have a pretty good handle on it.

I've gotten the binaries made for Unix, is that what OS you guys are running while programming for SNES? I'm sure I could dig up Windows 7 > VM > XP.

I got a full Ubuntu just to see if that would work, again it's telling me I can only compile for Unix, I compiled, make'd, make'd installed, and it gives me an error for the copying of wla-gb, says install failed, and I end up with a bunch of "Files".

I realize I'm pretty late to the scene. Thanks for any more help.

edit: I got this working for Unix/Linux, I just compiled in the Linux environment following the first step of the instructions, and I'll just code in Linux to avoid having to back date my Windows OS. The resulting "Files" after making the binaries operate within Terminal. I.e. ./wla-65816
This was confusing for me because I was expecting the resulting binaries to have executable programs in them, as you'd see from the pre-compiles.

To anyone else that has issues with their Cmake compile on Linux:(These are the tools Banshaku spoke of aside from Cmake):
sudo apt-get install g++
sudo apt-get install gcc
sudo apt install make
Delete the CMakeCache.txt
Re-attempt

Would be cool if someone could drop a line on their successes with Windows OS. :)

Edit 2 On Windows Success!: I realized that this is a command line executable, as such it is launched from cmd prompt and utilized within. So if you have the assembler compiled for win32 it should work on windows. There are various Windows precompiles out there, just do some digging, if you do your own windows compile they might not end up as ".exe" programs, rather just files, they'll likely still work so give it a shot.
Be sure to test using example files in wla's corresponding directory.
Last edited by ihugmyself on Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
CypherSignal

Post by CypherSignal »

Would be cool if someone could drop a line on their successes with Windows OS. :)
I've been working in Windows 10 and VS2017 with no impediments. I cloned wla via gitkraken, run "cmake ." in the repo's root from a cmd prompt, and that'll generate a sln and proj files from which I can build and run as-is. I forget what all dependencies I had to get installed first - wla-dx is not the first cmake-generated tool I've been working with on my system - but I think it should just be cmake and maybe mingw. At most, I've had cmake complain that it's trying to generate files for NMake, which means that it's not finding my VS2017 installation for some reason. I'm not sure what the steps are for discovering that, but I think it was some problem with my env-vars.

There are a handful of other tools that still like Linux environments as mentioned above - e.g. I've been working in bsnes and there's only a makefile for that that targets gcc/g++ specifically, so VS and VSCode have to debug it via a layer over gdb - but mingw seems to be sufficing for my uses so far.
Oziphantom

Post by Oziphantom »

Anybody got some 9.10 win binaries?