Controllers

A place for your artistic side. Discuss techniques and tools for pixel art on the NES, GBC, or similar platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

tepples

Controllers

Post by tepples »

I'm drawing some controllers for an NES demo, each no bigger than 64x32 pixels. Are these horribly off model?
Attachments
Six_NES_controllers.png
Six_NES_controllers.png (9.1 KiB) Viewed 6834 times
koitsu

Re: Controllers

Post by koitsu »

Awesome, especially given the palette limitation!

The only thing that was a little weird was the SNES controller, specifically how buttons X/Y are depicted. Is it possible to maybe use some dithering (e.g. alternate using purple every other pixel?) to imitate a "lighter" purple? Not sure how that'd look on an actual NES with CRT. Might look worse than what you have, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

I initially was going to propose simply switching the drawing to a SNES PAL or SFC controller (red/green/blue/yellow buttons) but the 4-colour palette wouldn't work for that (you'd have to use sprites for the buttons).
ccovell

Post by ccovell »

Oi! Where's the U-Force?
tepples

Post by tepples »

Those are the controllers I own. Buy me one (and, if it's a DA15 controller, the Famicom to use it on) and I'll draw it.
mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt »

Blah, you can use a picture for the EU SNES / SFC controller. It's just the center text and buttons that's changed.

EDIT: huge picture I'm so sorry

Last edited by mikejmoffitt on Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Use of i64X.com photos on other websites appears to require express written permission from the server administrators. Besides, koitsu described why I stuck with the US Super NES controller.

Anyway:
Attachments
FC_dogbone_fourscore.png
FC_dogbone_fourscore.png (5.79 KiB) Viewed 6724 times
jwdonal

Post by jwdonal »

Those are really impressive tepples. They look really good.
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Post by FrankenGraphics »

The scale of things look natural to me, and they appear as though they were more the real thing, than just a symbolic representation. Well done! :beer:

For curiosity reasons i wanted to try a few alterations to see what they would look like, though the original upload seems to be horizontally smudged 1px each direction when examined in PS
mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt »

WheelInventor wrote:The scale of things look natural to me, and they appear as though they were more the real thing, than just a symbolic representation. Well done! :beer:

For curiosity reasons i wanted to try a few alterations to see what they would look like, though the original upload seems to be horizontally smudged 1px each direction when examined in PS
Here you go:

It looks like the original was scaled with a 2:1 nearest-neighbor algorithm, then scaled using linear filtering to 8:7 to match the PAR of the NES.
Myask

Post by Myask »

I had some [much bigger] ones that I tried to keep the tilecount down on by aligning to tiles. Famicom controllers don't lend themselves to this like the NES-004 does.
(The controller cord is a sprite, ╨; I believe instances of text for Start/Select were to be too.)
Attachments
controllersWIP.png
controllersWIP.png (1.02 KiB) Viewed 5944 times