NES APU in Matlab

Discuss emulation of the Nintendo Entertainment System and Famicom.

Moderator: Moderators

kyguy37536

Re: NES APU in Matlab

Post by kyguy37536 »

Would it be at all possible to get some tracks before they've been mixed together? If not then a couple of random tracks would work.
kyguy37536

Post by kyguy37536 »

Actually, if they could all be tracks from super mario bros for consistency that would work. Thanks is advance. I'm looking to see if I can also implement the mixer as part of the project.
Rahsennor

Post by Rahsennor »

Four more tracks, in 7z format because zip broke the attatchment size limit.
Attachments
smb1-raw-2.7z
WARNING 430 MB
(1.43 MiB) Downloaded 131 times
kyguy37536

Post by kyguy37536 »

Does the way you sample the output let you just take the pulse, triangle and noise channels separately before they've passed through the DACs?
Rahsennor

Post by Rahsennor »

kyguy37536 wrote:Does the way you sample the output let you just take the pulse, triangle and noise channels separately before they've passed through the DACs?
Not without significant modifications.
kyguy37536

Post by kyguy37536 »

Okay no problem. Thanks for all the help/data. Are there are any ideas off the top of your head that would maybe allow me to improve on the way that the NES processed the audio so I can go a little more in depth on the project?
Rahsennor

Post by Rahsennor »

kyguy37536 wrote:Okay no problem. Thanks for all the help/data. Are there are any ideas off the top of your head that would maybe allow me to improve on the way that the NES processed the audio so I can go a little more in depth on the project?
My goal as an emulator author is accuracy, so I honestly have no idea.
kyguy37536

Post by kyguy37536 »

Do you have the samples of the songs after the filters have been applied?
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

NES generates those pretty square waves and triangle waves and stuff at sampling rates in the MHz, then everything after that is analog. No more emulation at that point, just simulating the effects of the circuits. Heck, you'd probably need an oscilloscope to see how close the NES's generated waves are to their ideal forms before any other analog stuff happens.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Post by FrankenGraphics »

The triangle is certainly going to look a lot less than ideal :lol:

Speaking of which, does anybody know the +/- voltage of the channels before and after mixing? Would be good to know when adding in ext. audio from a cart.
Rahsennor

Post by Rahsennor »

kyguy37536 wrote:Do you have the samples of the songs after the filters have been applied?
No, and I couldn't post them anyway, because it destroys the compression ratio. And my filters aren't hardware-accurate to begin with.