It is currently Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:10 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: anime hair
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:32 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:03 pm
Posts: 5706
Location: Canada
psycopathicteen wrote:
You guys realize that now she looks way different from how she looks in-game.

I thought the tubular legs fit the style you'd started with just fine, but ask for an opinion on a forum and get 100 opinions. ;P


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: anime hair
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 6:12 pm
Posts: 2281
Added a night sky to the picture. I think the colors on Alisha are a little too light. Maybe darker shading will look better.


Attachments:
title screen background 2.png
title screen background 2.png [ 6.93 KiB | Viewed 947 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: anime hair
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:12 am 
Offline
Formerly WheelInventor

Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:55 am
Posts: 890
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
You can, then again it is plausible she's standing close to ambient or multidirectional light sources. It's all in what context you want to convey.

_________________
http://www.frankengraphics.com - personal NES blog


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: anime hair
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:39 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 5:49 am
Posts: 791
Location: Sweden
dougeff wrote:
The in-game image...the arms seem too short...

With straight arms, your hands should go past your crotch. With bent arms, maybe hip level.

For in-game sprites it's fine (and often necessary due to the low resolution) to draw the characters in a slightly different style from their artwork. SD characters generally has too big of a head and too short arms to be able to scratch themselves on their head. But of course they can do it anyway because their arms kind of magically extends whenever they need to do something like that.

When I draw sprites I often draw them much more super deformed, and when doing artwork I draw them with a bit more realistic proportions, I generally avoid realism though.


rainwarrior wrote:
psycopathicteen wrote:
You guys realize that now she looks way different from how she looks in-game.

I thought the tubular legs fit the style you'd started with just fine, but ask for an opinion on a forum and get 100 opinions. ;P

Intended or not the style did look quite freaky.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: anime hair
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:53 am 
Online

Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:12 pm
Posts: 19083
Location: NE Indiana, USA (NTSC)
Pokun wrote:
SD characters generally has too big of a head and too short arms to be able to scratch themselves on their head. But of course they can do it anyway because their arms kind of magically extends whenever they need to do something like that.

Either you've been following my questions on Graphic Design Stack Exchange, you've read my SD rant on the trope wiki, you've seen me in a calendar store at the mall where I joke "How does Lucy from Peanuts do her hair?" to a random shopper, or somehow we think alike for some other reason.

Contra, on the other hand, doesn't need no stinkin' super deformity, as I mentioned in a reply to a previous topic about this same sprite.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: anime hair
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 6:12 pm
Posts: 2281
My older sprite looks like shit. Too much detail and shading shoved in too small a resolution.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: anime hair
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:24 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 5:49 am
Posts: 791
Location: Sweden
tepples wrote:
Pokun wrote:
SD characters generally has too big of a head and too short arms to be able to scratch themselves on their head. But of course they can do it anyway because their arms kind of magically extends whenever they need to do something like that.

Either you've been following my questions on Graphic Design Stack Exchange, you've read my SD rant on the trope wiki, you've seen me in a calendar store at the mall where I joke "How does Lucy from Peanuts do her hair?" to a random shopper, or somehow we think alike for some other reason.

Contra, on the other hand, doesn't need no stinkin' super deformity, as I mentioned in a reply to a previous topic about this same sprite.

We must just be thinking alike then I guess (unless you came to a mall somewhere here in Sweden and I have forgotten about it). It was just a general observation of the SD-artstyle.

Contra is drawn in a realistic style, but for RPGs and the like you often want to cram in a full character in a small low-resolution sprite and still see the facial expressions (as you mention yourself in those links), and in that case the SD-style is the natural approach I guess, besides it being cute.
Of course many games use it even if they don't really need to do it for technical reasons. It's just a very lovable style of art.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 7 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group