anime hair

A place for your artistic side. Discuss techniques and tools for pixel art on the NES, GBC, or similar platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

rainwarrior

Re: anime hair

Post by rainwarrior »

psycopathicteen wrote:You guys realize that now she looks way different from how she looks in-game.
I thought the tubular legs fit the style you'd started with just fine, but ask for an opinion on a forum and get 100 opinions. ;P
psycopathicteen

Post by psycopathicteen »

Added a night sky to the picture. I think the colors on Alisha are a little too light. Maybe darker shading will look better.
Attachments
title screen background 2.png
title screen background 2.png (6.93 KiB) Viewed 4421 times
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Post by FrankenGraphics »

You can, then again it is plausible she's standing close to ambient or multidirectional light sources. It's all in what context you want to convey.
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

dougeff wrote:The in-game image...the arms seem too short...

With straight arms, your hands should go past your crotch. With bent arms, maybe hip level.
For in-game sprites it's fine (and often necessary due to the low resolution) to draw the characters in a slightly different style from their artwork. SD characters generally has too big of a head and too short arms to be able to scratch themselves on their head. But of course they can do it anyway because their arms kind of magically extends whenever they need to do something like that.

When I draw sprites I often draw them much more super deformed, and when doing artwork I draw them with a bit more realistic proportions, I generally avoid realism though.

rainwarrior wrote:
psycopathicteen wrote:You guys realize that now she looks way different from how she looks in-game.
I thought the tubular legs fit the style you'd started with just fine, but ask for an opinion on a forum and get 100 opinions. ;P
Intended or not the style did look quite freaky.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Pokun wrote:SD characters generally has too big of a head and too short arms to be able to scratch themselves on their head. But of course they can do it anyway because their arms kind of magically extends whenever they need to do something like that.
Either you've been following my questions on Graphic Design Stack Exchange, you've read my SD rant on the trope wiki, you've seen me in a calendar store at the mall where I joke "How does Lucy from Peanuts do her hair?" to a random shopper, or somehow we think alike for some other reason.

Contra, on the other hand, doesn't need no stinkin' super deformity, as I mentioned in a reply to a previous topic about this same sprite.
psycopathicteen

Post by psycopathicteen »

My older sprite looks like shit. Too much detail and shading shoved in too small a resolution.
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

tepples wrote:
Pokun wrote:SD characters generally has too big of a head and too short arms to be able to scratch themselves on their head. But of course they can do it anyway because their arms kind of magically extends whenever they need to do something like that.
Either you've been following my questions on Graphic Design Stack Exchange, you've read my SD rant on the trope wiki, you've seen me in a calendar store at the mall where I joke "How does Lucy from Peanuts do her hair?" to a random shopper, or somehow we think alike for some other reason.

Contra, on the other hand, doesn't need no stinkin' super deformity, as I mentioned in a reply to a previous topic about this same sprite.
We must just be thinking alike then I guess (unless you came to a mall somewhere here in Sweden and I have forgotten about it). It was just a general observation of the SD-artstyle.

Contra is drawn in a realistic style, but for RPGs and the like you often want to cram in a full character in a small low-resolution sprite and still see the facial expressions (as you mention yourself in those links), and in that case the SD-style is the natural approach I guess, besides it being cute.
Of course many games use it even if they don't really need to do it for technical reasons. It's just a very lovable style of art.