Nim & Nom - Early demo *Update* 25/11/2016

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

Krill

Re: Nim & Nom - Early demo *Update* 25/11/2016

Post by Krill »

Every level should offer something different to previous levels. That could be a new enemy, new worlds, new interactions with old enemies or the world, or combining elements that have not been used together. New enemies should function differently to older enemies, not just be a graphical change, and that is the same for the worlds. But even with one enemy there are multiple layouts you can use to offer different challenges. There should at least be enough variety that the player is almost always challenged in some way or another, even if it is not much. The player should be excited to see upcoming levels, wondering what will come next, not just pushing through them. There is no reason to have fifty levels if half of those levels are almost identical to others. They don't have to be that difficult either, as long as the player is having fun, that is what is most important.

I try my hardest to follow that myself but it is easier said than done. Sometime you just lack the experience or creativity to find interesting challenges for the player. I know I have had trouble with more than a few levels.

Well it is rather late for me so I hope that all makes sense and I hope it answers your question.