Ludum Dare

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

team_disposable

Ludum Dare

Post by team_disposable »

Ludum Dare is coming up next weekend. Who's game? There have been some good looking NES entries in the past. http://ludumdare.com/compo/2015/05/03/b ... ostmortem/

My girlfriend and I are intending on entering with a NES Rom.

Anyone else keen?
Krill

Re: Ludum Dare

Post by Krill »

I'll be participating but not with an NES game. I use Ludum Dare as an excuse to take a break from my main project.
team_disposable

Awesome - well, good luck. I'll definitely check out whatever you submit.
Erockbrox

Post by Erockbrox »

can you do a rom hack instead of a homebrew?
tepples

Post by tepples »

From the rules of Ludum Dare: "We strongly recommend you only use assets that you have the legal right to use (Public Domain, things you licensed/created, etc). If you don’t have the right to use something, it is your responsibility." This rules out what comes to mind when most people think of "ROM hacks".
team_disposable

Yes, it's mostly just an endless sea of homebrew. Check it out if you haven't before - it's awesome.

Some of the past competition winners are a good place to start:

http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-35/
team_disposable

So the theme for Ludum Dare has been announced and it is.....

One Room.

So I guess I won't be desperately trying to implement a scrolling engine over the weekend then, which is good!

Right now I'm thinking something (relatively) simple - maybe a micro-platformer, or something similar. The very first thing that came to mind was an interactive musical based around Tom Wiseau's infamous The Room https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Room_(film), but I'm thinking that's a bit ambitious.

Let's see where we get!
team_disposable

I've now got a very simple ASM and C nes structure file, that is writing tiles and sprites to the screen. YEAH!

We've been discussing ideas and we considered game ideas:
  • - Something like Picnic, the first game I ever made, in which zombies try and steal your cutlery
    - A stealth game in which you have to hide - something like the boardgame I made a few years ago, Chainsaw Maniac Cordially Invites you to Dinner http://www.crunchpress.co.uk - the logic involved in that seems a bit tricky for a weekend, however.
    - A ramping up series of boss fights - again, this seems like it could be a bit much for a weekend
    - The microplatformer - I'm thinking something like "You are insignificant".
Here is the shell of the game loading the sprite from the compo entry I'm working on with our super basic metasprite system:
Attachments
You_are_insignificant.gif
You_are_insignificant.gif (1.91 KiB) Viewed 7254 times
team_disposable

I've got gamestates and nametable loading working.

Other then that, I think the current title screen illustrates best where I am up to.
idonotyetknow.gif
idonotyetknow.gif (2.63 KiB) Viewed 7247 times
Krill

Post by Krill »

Hehe, I've had a busy day today so I haven't had the chance to start yet. Though this theme doesn't really conjure many ideas for me.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to see what you produce using this theme. Good luck!
team_disposable

I took a break for a couple of hours myself. I think I have a plan now, and a name.

I've had some bigger ideas, but I'm sticking with something pretty simple. The theme reminds me very strongly of an excellent book, House of Leaves. I would recommend it to anyone, it is an excellent piece of literature, in which (without giving to much away) the rooms of a house warp and twist.

It also reminds me of the movie Videodrome, as most of the movie involves the characters trying to puzzle out what exactly is happening in a room in Pittsburgh (it's one of my favourite movies, we screened it for our film club)

The game will be like none of these, however. Ladies and Gentleman, I present to you the first enemy sprite, he's come a long way and he's very happy to be here, he is, THE DUCK.
quack.gif
quack.gif (18.76 KiB) Viewed 7228 times
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

I can't tell if that post is an elaborate joke...like

"hey, were going to film the best movie, ever. Think Gattaca meets ET, but with more explosions! Now, we only have a budget of $300...so the entire film will take place in one room, with a handheld Steadicam, in one take. And no dialogue. It'll be great!"

Anyway. Good luck. Have fun.
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES
team_disposable

Deadly serious.

We now have collision detection and lots of other fancy bits.

Here's the current (and currently only) level. The pipes are a temporary fixture.
winteriscoming.gif
winteriscoming.gif (6.83 KiB) Viewed 7176 times
team_disposable

Rudimentary duck AI.

I call him Quacking Jack.
Quacking_Jack.gif
Quacking_Jack.gif (127.05 KiB) Viewed 7158 times
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

Is the duck throwing a ... lute? How delightfully surreal!