Made a little NES game as a hacking conference challenge

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

HypnZA

Made a little NES game as a hacking conference challenge

Post by HypnZA »

Hey all, first time posting :)

I made a little NES game as part of a hacking conference challenge - users got a ".bin" file and had to figure out it was a NES rom, run it, figure out the clue about a code being a Game Genie (and/or figure out what a Game Genie is and how to enter the code), before submitting their code to solve the challenge (each user got a unique ".bin" file with a unique code).

People seemed to enjoy it and it got really good feedback. It even has a Konami code built in.

I was able to make something far better than I had initially planned, thanks to dougeff/nesdoug.com's tutorials and free code, and even answering questions via e-mail. I'm sure I did a lot wrong, but I learnt a whole lot in the process (this is my first game - on any platform, never mind just NES), so just wanted to share it + the code, and say a huge thanks. Hopefully you'll see a bit more of me on here, as I might expand it further.

The game:

The code:
https://github.com/hypn/bsides2016-nes-game

Thanks! HypnZA
dougeff

Re: Made a little NES game as a hacking conference challenge

Post by dougeff »

Oh, you're that guy. Hi again. Looks very interesting.
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES
Erockbrox

Re: Made a little NES game as a hacking conference challenge

Post by Erockbrox »

Cool. Great job for your first game.