Vigilante Ninja (edit)

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Re: Vigilante Ninja (edit)

Post by FrankenGraphics »

i started out testing an alternative, and then i went a little too far and completely butchered your tileset in the process.

Anyway, if the ceiling blocks are only tilted sideways, they don't clash as much with the ground blocks. You may still want to keep the style different, only the different tilt is needed for it to work, i think.

Please ignore the rest. :lol:
Attachments
test.bmp
test.bmp (30.12 KiB) Viewed 3812 times
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

na na na na na na, FINAL, na na na na na na, BOSS, na na na na na na, FINAL BOSS!

(lightning will only come 1 at a time, this is a test picture).

(everything you see is BG except the ninja and the blocks he's standing on, movement will be done with scroll shifts).
Attachments
vig51w.png
vig51w.png (3.42 KiB) Viewed 3655 times
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES
Estlib

Post by Estlib »

looks pretty neat!
NOPE.
8bitMicroGuy

Post by 8bitMicroGuy »

Hmm... What's a sprite and what's a background there?
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

What's a sprite and what's a background there?
Sprite (and you can just barely see a dot for the sprite zero hit)
vig51sp.png
vig51sp.png (1.73 KiB) Viewed 3514 times
Background
vig51bg.png
vig51bg.png (3.02 KiB) Viewed 3514 times
I've colored the lightning differently, to show that they each use a unique color palette entry.
8bitMicroGuy

Post by 8bitMicroGuy »

Nice. I like it how you calculated correctly which tiles of the wizard should go where.
Now imagine you're on the ground and then one of the platforms drop onto your head like a troll, lol. Right before you would defeat the boss. Could you program that?
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

Level 5 (the last level, and the final Boss fight) is almost done...now just about 100 small details to fix, and convert everything to MMC3, and put the final music in. "It's almost too easy" (quote from the Waynes World movie, after Garth describes something very complicated).

Teaser clip...

https://youtu.be/1TuGW4I9-Lw
Estlib

Post by Estlib »

Cant wait :D

one thing to note though, i wouldve coloured the lightning bolts in electric colors (light yellow, white, light blue) rather than red, green and lemon yellow. but thats just my 2c.
NOPE.
tepples

Post by tepples »

They will be colored in lightning bolt colors. They're just oddly colored to make them easy to distinguish in mock-ups: "I've colored the lightning differently, to show that they each use a unique color palette entry."
Estlib

Post by Estlib »

tepples wrote:They will be colored in lightning bolt colors. They're just oddly colored to make them easy to distinguish in mock-ups: "I've colored the lightning differently, to show that they each use a unique color palette entry."
oh, brainfart. >_>
NOPE.
8bitMicroGuy

Post by 8bitMicroGuy »

I thought for a second that the recording had a lag or that my internet had a lag. The moment when the circles appear, it looks like the game froze a bit. I'd like to see the circle grow with a sound effect and the lightning extend bit by bit instead of appearing like a whole new BMP frame in a MS Paint animation.
infiniteneslives

Post by infiniteneslives »

Here's a good one for you...

I've been ignoring this thread for a couple years now as I assumed the thread topic was something to do with being ninja'd edited by someone while making thread posts somehow. I never reasoned what how such a ninja post edit could also be vigilante some manner. Just thought wow it must be some significant bbs issue as it keeps popping up from time to time in my unread posts.. Was finally curious enough to see what all the fuss was about today. Opened the latest post and was confused as to how the topic got derailed so badly from bbs issues to a homebrew game progress. Guess I should pay more attention to the thread topic... :)

Sorry for the off topic post, but thought others might find humor in my poor assumptions. That is all, let the game dev continue.
If you're gonna play the Game Boy, you gotta learn to play it right. -Kenny Rogers
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

Re: infiniteneslives

Funny. :D

Ok, small update. I have a stable build with all 5 levels and everything but the new sound/music in! My current 'to-do list' is about 12 things. Hope to be at final game testing by end of January.
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

Sound and sound fx are in and appear to be working / stable. This game is about 99% done. Will probably do a few months of nit-picky changes and testing.

I'm using Shiru's most recent update of famitone with full famitracker engine. It was amazingly difficult... due to the fact that....it's in cc65/ca65 and I'm using asm6. .I failed to convert the code to asm6...I already had plans for 80% of RAM space, and had to make absolutely certain when compiling the cc65 files that there were no overlapping variables...about 64 of which I shoved in the stack! I brought the code over as a BINARY import (.incbin), and had to use hardcoded absolute addresses...The music uses almost a whole bank of DMC files ($1400 maybe). Lots of MMC3 bank switching madness.

It's a freaking miracle that it works at all. (Sigh).

Edit...thanks to Estlib for writing me 9 new songs. Sounds great.
dougeff

Post by dougeff »