Wiki: conflicting info ($4017 writes)

Discuss emulation of the Nintendo Entertainment System and Famicom.

Moderator: Moderators

rainwarrior

Re: Wiki: conflicting info ($4017 writes)

Post by rainwarrior »

Disch wrote:The big question I have for the APU pages.... how married are you to guys to the idea of illustrating everything in APU cycles (or 'half' cycles, as frequently they have a ".5" tacked on the end) instead of CPU cycles? I get the logic of why you'd want to use APU cycles, but IMO it makes it super confusing.
I don't think I've ever added anything in "APU cycles" in any of my edits, but I'd prefer that all timing tables, etc. should be in CPU cycles.

The "APU cycle" is an important concept for alignment of certain timings, so it's necessary to discuss it in some places, but my personal feeling is that this can be an additional note on a case by case basis. (e.g. the OAM DMA has been described as aligned to an even or odd cycle for ages, before anybody started calling it an "APU cycle", and I think this is the best approach).

I think an attempt to use "APU cycles" as a default for all APU material would be a bad idea (it doesn't apply to everything in the APU, and I think it confuses the relationship to the CPU timing, at least until you learn the concept thoroughly), and having material inconsistently in one or the other is quite confusing.
Disch

Post by Disch »

Cool. I'm in the same boat as you, rainwarrior.

Final question:

I'm not super familiar with wikis. Is there like a separate 'temporary' area where I can build a page (or series of pages) on the wiki before replacing the existing pages?

I'm thinking if this was something like git or some other version control thing -- I want to make a branch and make changes there before merging them into the main thing.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

Not really. Feel free to put staging pages as subpages under your own user page (e.g. "User:Disch/APU")
Rahsennor

Post by Rahsennor »

rainwarrior wrote:[lengthy and entirely justified dressing-down for being an unconstructive dick]
I apologize for the content of my previous post. I'm frustated and irritable and should stop posting until my mindset improves.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

Disch wrote:I'm not super familiar with wikis. Is there like a separate 'temporary' area where I can build a page (or series of pages) on the wiki before replacing the existing pages?
lidnariq's answer is the standard solution for wikis. Write your draft in a userspace page, and when you're ready create the article and copy it to that.

It's also somewhat acceptable to create a "stub" article right where it's going to be and start working on it. As long as you don't leave something in a drastically unfinished state for a prolonged period, that's usually fine. (People probably won't notice the new article until it is linked to from other articles anyway.)
Disch wrote:I'm thinking if this was something like git or some other version control thing -- I want to make a branch and make changes there before merging them into the main thing.
It doesn't really have branches and merges, at least not anything like git. Some people with administrator privelages can rename articles, but that's about as far as it goes. If you want to merge two pages, you replace the text of one of the pages with a #REDIRECT command, and then in the page you're merging into make sure to link the merged article in the edit comment (so people can click on it in the edit history).

This is generally sufficient; it's not like code where you need to restore a working version. You could try and figure out who wrote a particular piece of text, but it's usually more useful just to ask about that text on a talk page and have people here re-verify or clarify the information than it is to go chasing ghosts to find out why they wrote something.
Rahsennor wrote:
rainwarrior wrote:[lengthy and entirely justified dressing-down for being an unconstructive dick]
I apologize for the content of my previous post. I'm frustated and irritable and should stop posting until my mindset improves.
Sorry if I came on a bit strong there, my main intent is just to encourage others to help with the wiki. I don't really want to cast shame on anyone for not contributing to it. Nobody's obliged to do so, I just wish more people would.