Why have you chosen the username that you have chosen?

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

Dwedit

Re: Why have you chosen the username that you have chosen?

Post by Dwedit »

Sound Recorder let me fill up my first 120MB hard drive...
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

I couldn't use a sound recorder because all the sound I had in that computer was from the PC speaker!
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

The computer i had in college had 6 GB Hard Drive, and Windows 95. I did end up filling that up, and got a second Hard Drive for it.

The computer I had before that, was an Apple IIgs, which a Hard Drive was an accessory that we didn't buy...it used 3.5 floppy drives. I recall having a modem, but there was really no internet... we could send a small message to other computers, but we didn't call it e-mail...you had to actually call another computer, and it went over the phone lines. (My memory is poor, I don't remember how this worked)

The computer we had before that was an Atari computer, which plugged into a TV. It had a 5.25 floppy drive. Somehow, we had over 50 games. Each on a different floppy. Oh, and, NO MOUSE. But you could plug a joystick into it.
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES
Gilbert

Post by Gilbert »

<-- Well it's my real name, so no surprise here...
I sometimes use the nickname Gilbot though(especially when my real name as a handle is not available in a forum, etc.), as I used to make a lot of typos(even though one of the primary tasks of my job is proofreading) in some old IRC channels and I called myself a dyslexic robot that ate babies, hence the nickname.

Anyway, getting a 120 MB harddisk for the first PC was lucky. In my first PC, it was a 8088 with no harddisk, with a CGA card and a green monitor. Later, I got a 286 with a 40 MB harddisk. I remember the time after I installed Windows 3.0 I deleted all the help files (so I would be greeted with an error whenever I pressed F1) and "uninteresting" programmes such as notepad, to save space.

I also had Apple II clones (one of them is still working, sort of) and I never had luxury items such as harddisk or mice.
Fisher

Post by Fisher »

My first PC with a hard drive was a XT with a NEC V30? processor.
It was 10MB, (yes, megabytes! ) and used an ISA card with 2 flat cables to be connected.
I think it was an ST-506 or something similar... I think it used MFM tech, whatever that means...
The OS was called "Sisne Plus", a MS-DOS clone.
It was a "gift" from a richier friend who just got a brand new 386 with color monitor and a sound card. That costed a fortune here back in the day.
I was so happy! Had lots of fun with that old stuff :-)
Sverker

Post by Sverker »

I was listening to this song when I registered. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsV9pa2CO-0
TmEE

Post by TmEE »

My name is Tiido and I am still dreaming of making entertainment hardware lol.
Punch

Post by Punch »

This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
GradualGames

Post by GradualGames »

Mine is inspired by the Tortoise and the Hare: "Slow and steady wins the race." But also Pavlov: ""Gradualness, gradualness, and gradualness. From the very beginning of your work, school yourself to severe gradualness in the accumulation of knowledge." ~ Ivan Pavlov"

When I got back into hobby coding ~2007 or so, I had become a very lazy and idle person. Thus it was easy to feel defeated by something challenging. Instead of punishing myself for moving slowly as I built up the required habits and knowledge to build my own game, I decided to affirm it and even celebrate it, with the name. I decided it was OK if I only, say, read and understood a single paragraph from nesdoc.pdf on any given evening. So long as I made it a habit to sit down 3 times a week to work on it, I knew I'd eventually finish a game.

Turns out age old wisdom works! I later discovered Scott Adams has very similar ideas about finishing projects: Scott Adams speech
Quietust

Post by Quietust »

My nickname was formed (in 1996-1997) by taking this and appending the letter "t" to the end, mainly because I was a fan of the game back then.
Quietust, QMT Productions
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
nicklausw

Post by nicklausw »

It's my name.

My other username is homsar47 after the best character ever, Homsar. Yes I'm registered on here twice, and no I did not know about it when making this account. :oops:
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

"Bregalad" is a minor character from the Lord of the Rings. I am not particularly a fan of these books, although I liked them. There was so many minor characters with cool names I thought it was a shame they weren't used more so I picked up one from a minor character I liked. That character is from a ent (treemen) race I used to think I could sort of identify myself to it - by that I mean my own personality is a bit close to those ents described in the Lord of the Ring). (There is already enough people prentending to be Aragorn or Legolas so that's why I picked up a minor character).