Hi-Def NES HDMI Adapter for the NES

Discuss hardware-related topics, such as development cartridges, CopyNES, PowerPak, EPROMs, or whatever.

Moderator: Moderators

inGGames

Re: Hi-Def NES HDMI Adapter for the NES

Post by inGGames »

tepples wrote:Normal behavior. Because the PPU outputs only bits 3-0 of the palette index when in color output mode, an add-on board such as NESRGB or Hi-Def NES needs to set up the PPU's palette such that it outputs bit 4 (that is, whether each pixel is a sprite or background) on composite video out.
Ah I see. Thanks for the explanation! I've never really looked into how these kits actually work.

So RF/composite would now only really be used for confirming everything is working and extended testing?
game-tech.us wrote:Did you bridge the outside holes of q1? Grey screen is usually bad cpu when I fix bad nes's.
Yes I did bridge it. I didn't touch R2 though, what does that do?
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

Kevtris, I want to say thank you for making this kit. I have purchased an NES with one of your first prototype testing chips and the thing is amazing. EXACTLY what I want for my retro systems. That said, I know you are very busy, but are you ever going to entertain the idea of updating the palette colors? The choices you've included are good, but I think some progress has been made on this recently and some of the newer options out there are very interesting, like this post below!
RGBSource wrote:It would be really awesome if Kevtris could add the original FCEUX palette and the two palettes I created recently. The workflow for capturing and sampling the NES' composite video signal makes a difference in the end result!
Finally, thanks again, your work is very appreciated!
culexus

Post by culexus »

Finaly got my PAL frontloader to work. :D

My problem was that the picture startet to flicker after 30 sec from cold start, this was only on HDMI out the AV out worked as normal.
The menu did work as normal and did not flicker.

Switched the PPU from RP2C07-0 to the RP2C07A and no problems :)

The RP2C07-0 has KOREA written underneath the chip.
Eatitup86

Post by Eatitup86 »

Really makes me wonder if the Korean PPU's are all incompatible with the Hi-Def NES?

I tinkered with mine for a day after it was not working and had no luck myself. :\

I do have another NES but I was wanting to keep one stock along with my other 2 being NESRGB + Hi-Def.

Have had 0 problems with my NESRGB mod.
Bratwurst

Post by Bratwurst »

I too tried using a RP2C02G-0 PPU with KOREA printed underneath and the graphics were garbled or some games wouldn't boot at all. I wound up getting the system working by interchanging different CPU and PPU chips from another board. So yeah this kit still has some issues to iron out or there needs to be a more comprehensive listing of which chips will work.
Guaranteed compatible with E, G, and H rev cpu and ppu only. This is another reason the kit will not work in the original famicom, those usually have chip revs that cause issues. Also, the newest av famicoms seem to have laser marked cpu and ppu that also cause problems.
game-tech.us
Formerly akaviolence

Post by game-tech.us »

Bratwurst wrote:I too tried using a RP2C02G-0 PPU with KOREA printed underneath and the graphics were garbled or some games wouldn't boot at all. I wound up getting the system working by interchanging different CPU and PPU chips from another board. So yeah this kit still has some issues to iron out or there needs to be a more comprehensive listing of which chips will work.
Hmm hadn't heard of a G rev having issues, i'll see if I have a korean G rev to test with.
kjetil_f

Post by kjetil_f »

Just got my Hi-Def NES installed on my PAL-B console and it looks amazing! However I still found some unexpected issues. For some reason the ROMs on my Everdrive are flickering when playing (no problem with the ED screen). When I try playing the same games from the original cartridge it seems to be no problems at all. The Everdrive ROMs are dumps from my actual cartridge so in theory they are identical.

The only original cartridge I have a problem with is Castlevania III. It seems to be stable for about the first level, but then the same flickering start happening.

I have not installed the kit myself, but used an installer recommended by game-tech.us, and he said that it seems like the red hdnes kit have some compatibility issues with PAL.

Anyone else that have experienced these screen glitches, or maybe know if it's possible to fix it?
game-tech.us
Formerly akaviolence

Post by game-tech.us »

kjetil_f wrote:Just got my Hi-Def NES installed on my PAL-B console and it looks amazing! However I still found some unexpected issues. For some reason the ROMs on my Everdrive are flickering when playing (no problem with the ED screen). When I try playing the same games from the original cartridge it seems to be no problems at all. The Everdrive ROMs are dumps from my actual cartridge so in theory they are identical.

The only original cartridge I have a problem with is Castlevania III. It seems to be stable for about the first level, but then the same flickering start happening.

I have not installed the kit myself, but used an installer recommended by game-tech.us, and he said that it seems like the red hdnes kit have some compatibility issues with PAL.

Anyone else that have experienced these screen glitches, or maybe know if it's possible to fix it?
It's not just the red kits, it's certain PAL ppu chips, rp2c07-0 revs seem to be the worst. Adding a .1uF cap on the ppu clock pin to gnd seems to help a lot, but we'll get Kevtris to look at it closer.
I assume your EDN8 is running os of 13 or higher? I believe that's when krikzz fixed hi-def compatibility.
kjetil_f

Post by kjetil_f »

game-tech.us wrote:
kjetil_f wrote:Just got my Hi-Def NES installed on my PAL-B console and it looks amazing! However I still found some unexpected issues. For some reason the ROMs on my Everdrive are flickering when playing (no problem with the ED screen). When I try playing the same games from the original cartridge it seems to be no problems at all. The Everdrive ROMs are dumps from my actual cartridge so in theory they are identical.

It's not just the red kits, it's certain PAL ppu chips, rp2c07-0 revs seem to be the worst. Adding a .1uF cap on the ppu clock pin to gnd seems to help a lot, but we'll get Kevtris to look at it closer.
I assume your EDN8 is running os of 13 or higher? I believe that's when krikzz fixed hi-def compatibility.
Yes, according to the OS it should be hi-def capable (upgraded to nesos 15 just in case), but when I load up the ROMs from the main menu I get the same jumpy image on all of them. All of them PAL (b) ROMs, so should not be any region issues. The Hi-def NES installer have installed a 100nf cap.
inGGames

Post by inGGames »

game-tech.us wrote:It's not just the red kits, it's certain PAL ppu chips, rp2c07-0 revs seem to be the worst. Adding a .1uF cap on the ppu clock pin to gnd seems to help a lot, but we'll get Kevtris to look at it closer.
My Hi-Def NES has been flickering quite a bit, and I can confirm that I have the RP2C07-0 PAL chip. Is adding the cap still the recommended solution? Or would I be better of sourcing a different PPU?
game-tech.us
Formerly akaviolence

Post by game-tech.us »

inGGames wrote:
game-tech.us wrote:It's not just the red kits, it's certain PAL ppu chips, rp2c07-0 revs seem to be the worst. Adding a .1uF cap on the ppu clock pin to gnd seems to help a lot, but we'll get Kevtris to look at it closer.
My Hi-Def NES has been flickering quite a bit, and I can confirm that I have the RP2C07-0 PAL chip. Is adding the cap still the recommended solution? Or would I be better of sourcing a different PPU?
I'm hearing the cap doesn't work for all games, but you could do it till you get a rev A ppu.
inGGames

Post by inGGames »

game-tech.us wrote:I'm hearing the cap doesn't work for all games, but you could do it till you get a rev A ppu.
It looks like it's the only option until I can source another PPU. Do you think I'll run into compatibility issues if I manage to find a different PPU chip for my PAL nes?
thomas83lin

Post by thomas83lin »

Any word on any firmware updates?? I've had my kit installed since around July I believe? I'm still hopefully some of those problematic games with line glitches can be fixed maybe. Thanks
Check out my WiiU\Wii\VC\Wiiware Codes from me Here or get my codes on the Geckocode Database Here
Bananmos

Post by Bananmos »

After my first terrible attempt at installing the Hi-def NES mod, I eventually managed to source another NTSC PPU.

And contrary to my worries, a jumper cable took care of the only via, and once I prepped the motherboard with the sockets, the standard (non-HDMI modded) NTSC NES had been restored to life.

Keen on continuing the project, I proceeded with the steps... and everything went smoothly. Except with the finished install, I get neither HDMI nor composite nor sound from this NES anymore. (though the sound is not really expected to work without a working PPU...)

The behaviour is quite odd really... if I leave the NES unpowered for a while, then power it on, I will get a mostly black screen with occasional "hickups", indicating some video syncing could be taking place irregularly. And the LED on the Hi-Def board does not light up at all. After trying this for a while and powering it off, there will be less "hickups" until I power it on again.

Additionally, at one point, I managed to get more of a composite signal - white horizontal stripes and a buzz - along with the LED being lit in orange, by touching the plastic package of the PPU while it was running. However, I have not managed to reproduce this improved(?) behaviour again.

My PPU is not getting hot at all... but curiously, the CPU is getting rather warm quickly... although not terribly. And I have checked there's no short circuits between Vcc and GND at least.

I'm tempted to remove the interposers and try it with the socketed CPU/PPU again. But I'm unsure whether this will work, or could potentially even damage the board, now that the Q1 resistor is replaced with a bridge, and how to even get the system correctly powered with the interposers removed, without undoing the work of replacing the voltage regulation with the Hi-Def board.

So can anyone give some clues on how to go about debugging this incomplete (and hopefully not busted...) mod? Specifically, I'm wondering:
1) How should the LED on the Hi-Def board behave in a successful installation? What does a non-lit LED mean? And what does an orange-lit one mean?
2) Is there some way to test part of the installation, by keeping the voltage regulation of the Hi-Def board but removing either the CPU or the PPU interposer?
3) Anything else worth looking into?...
game-tech.us
Formerly akaviolence

Post by game-tech.us »

Bananmos wrote: So can anyone give some clues on how to go about debugging this incomplete (and hopefully not busted...) mod? Specifically, I'm wondering:
1) How should the LED on the Hi-Def board behave in a successful installation? What does a non-lit LED mean? And what does an orange-lit one mean?
2) Is there some way to test part of the installation, by keeping the voltage regulation of the Hi-Def board but removing either the CPU or the PPU interposer?
3) Anything else worth looking into?...
Do you have a volt/multimeter? Do you have 5v? You could just email me direct, it'd be faster...