GGsound interfering with ShadowOAM

Are you new to 6502, NES, or even programming in general? Post any of your questions here. Remember - the only dumb question is the question that remains unasked.

Moderator: Moderators

hundonostudy

GGsound interfering with ShadowOAM

Post by hundonostudy »

Hi all! Just trying to implement GGsound into my demo. I've got it working, but the developer of ggsound recommends placing the ggsound ram space at $0200 which conflicts with ShadoOAM ($0200), so now all my graphics are pretty messed up. Can anyone here suggest a different memory location to use instead of $0200 for ggsound ram?

Kind Regards
-Hundo
tokumaru

Re: GGsound interfering with ShadowOAM

Post by tokumaru »

I think you can place its variables wherever you have free space, but you could just as well move the shadow OAM elsewhere if you're more comfortable following the developer's suggestion (why he'd suggest using the page that's most widely used as the OAM buffer is beyond me though!).
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

Yeah I use page 2 for shadow OAM as that's pretty much standard, page 3 for palette and nametable buffers and page 4 for the sound routine. Feels logical to keep the graphic buffers side by side, although the nametable and palette buffers are not taking up the whole of page 3. Neither does sound take up the whole of page 4 (yet).
tepples

Post by tepples »

Then you could probably move nametable and palette buffers to the three-fourths of page 1 that you probably don't use, which opens up page 3 for GGSound.
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

I might as well just use page 4 as well as page 3 for sound no? I'll probably not use page 1 until I run short of RAM.

This is just my general RAM map that I do for most of my programs.