NESICIDE won't assemble

Discuss technical or other issues relating to programming the Nintendo Entertainment System, Famicom, or compatible systems. See the NESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

DementedPurple

NESICIDE won't assemble

Post by DementedPurple »

So I just got NESICIDE and I'm trying to make a game. When I click assemble it says "Nothing to build, no linker config file specified. Go to Project menu, select Project Properties, and switch to the Linker tab to add one." I honestly have no idea what a linker is, so could someone please help me?
rainwarrior

Re: NESICIDE won't assemble

Post by rainwarrior »

The easiest thing to do is to look for an example project with a .cfg file and use that.

The linker config file is used during the assembly process to control the layout of your ROM file. Basically just what data goes where. There are a lot of different mappers used for the NES, and they each have a different set of needs, in this respect.

Probably most examples would be using a config suitable for the NROM (simplest possible) mapper. That's what should usually be recommended as a starting point.

As far as what a linker is, the assembler used has two phases. In the assembly phase, it turns your assembly code into "object" files, which are basically machine code blobs, a direct translation of the stuff in your assembly files. The linker phase combines those object blobs into your finished ROM ("linking" them all together).

If you want to dig deeper into it, there's documentation about linker config files here:
http://cc65.github.io/doc/ld65.html#s5
DementedPurple

Post by DementedPurple »

Do you know how I could make one?
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

There's an NROM one in my example here: viewtopic.php?t=11151

As far as learning to make one yourself, that depends on what you already know. How to lay out your ROM and memory regions depends on a lot of stuff. The iNES file format, the NES CPU memory map, the PPU memory map, and knowledge of the particular mapper you're using are all relevant. The example is for the NROM mapper, which is the recommended one to use when learning.
cpow
NESICIDE developer

Post by cpow »

DementedPurple wrote:So I just got NESICIDE and I'm trying to make a game. When I click assemble it says "Nothing to build, no linker config file specified. Go to Project menu, select Project Properties, and switch to the Linker tab to add one." I honestly have no idea what a linker is, so could someone please help me?
Did you create your project using one of the built-in templates? If so, the linker should have been configured properly.
DementedPurple

Post by DementedPurple »

I couldn't get the linker to work with my game, and I couldn't find the pre-made linkers in NESICIDE.
tepples

Post by tepples »

What exact error message are you getting? Or are you pushing a button to absolutely no visible effect?
DementedPurple

Post by DementedPurple »

tepples wrote:What exact error message are you getting? Or are you pushing a button to absolutely no visible effect?
It used to say something else before, but I tried using the linker given by RainWarrior and now all it says is "build failed".
cpow
NESICIDE developer

Post by cpow »

I've got some spare time to devote to this. I've been plagued with a QScintilla runtime crash for quite a while that's prevented me from having enough interest/energy to plow through and put out a new version. In the past few hours I've resolved that. I am now looking to make a package release for at least Windows. I will install and verify on a fresh PC that I can start a NROM template project, compile, load, and run it. Stay tuned.

One thing I noticed is that the cc65 toolchain I'd been trying to use in Windows was last compiled in OSX. :oops: :roll: I'm rebuilding that now in Windows...which will hopefully fix it completely for me...in Windows. :beer:

In case anyone is curious RE my absence from the NESdev scene. I haven't forgotten ya'll. I'm still a nostalgic mess for NES thru-and-thru. Just been very busy in other pursuits. I'm currently seeking angel funding to help me go-live with a music-based social media app. Oh. And I'm changing jobs in a week or so. Going to work on hearing aids.
cpow
NESICIDE developer

Post by cpow »

Here it is working in OSX. I will have a Windows build tomorrow.
DementedPurple

Post by DementedPurple »

Do you have a link where I could download it?
cpow
NESICIDE developer

Post by cpow »

DementedPurple wrote:Do you have a link where I could download it?
Which version? Windows? OSX?
DementedPurple

Post by DementedPurple »

cpow wrote:
Windows
cpow
NESICIDE developer

Post by cpow »

DementedPurple wrote:
cpow wrote:
Windows
I only have Windows at work so unfortunately won't be able to get it until Monday now.
DementedPurple

Post by DementedPurple »

Could you respond when it's done? thanks!