Progress Thread - Nebs & Debs Prequel

Moderator: Moderators

dullahan

Re: Progress Thread - Nebs & Debs Prequel

Post by dullahan »

Thanks for your input Sumez. For now I have commented out the wall traversal, might make it back in if the gameplay is too flat without it.

Thanks freem, I actually used the MM animation as a study source. :)
dullahan

Post by dullahan »

Update:

* Damping is working with horizontal movement.
* Changed balloons into crystals since it seemed right.

Next up:

* Integrate famitone and create sfx for crystal captures and crystal breaks.
* Implement logic for gathering crystals (like coins in SMB1).
* Implement logic for breaking crystals (happens when Debs dashes through them). Breaking crystals resets Debs dash ability thus allowing for multiples dashes while in the air.

You can see the new movement on my twitter page: https://twitter.com/cacciatc/status/806662957195067393
dullahan

Post by dullahan »

Now working on the first level. Here are a couple screenshots:
d1.png
d2.png
Animated GIFs can be found on my twitter: https://twitter.com/cacciatc/status/810313593967124480

Up next:

* Implement sprite0 HUD.
* Fix a mess of bugs discovered with the level change.
* Add crystal shatter animations.
* Add crystal collect animations?
* Implement death.
* Implement hurt animation and logic.

My goal for the end of December is to have two working levels, then another two in Jan for a total of 4 levels for the final NES 2016 submission.
na_th_an

Post by na_th_an »

It looks really good. I'm looking forward playing this.
dullahan

Post by dullahan »

title-screen.png
level-1.png
level-2.png

Code: Select all

Name: 		Nebs 'n Debs

Submitted By: 	Chris Cacciatore

Category:	1

Description:  	Debs crashed on an alien planet and needs to collect enough crystals to repair her ship and return home. Luckily, she has the help of an accidental ally Nebs, who gives her the ability to dash through enemies, across chasms, and into all sorts of danger.

Controls:	D-pad: Movement
		Start: Starts the game, pauses while in game.
		B: Dash
		A: Jump

Rom info:	Mapper NROM-256
		Filesize 41 KB
		Special peripherals Needed: None

Credits:	Music - Richard 'kulor' Armijo
		Art - Chris Cacciatore
		Programming - Chris Cacciatore

Other:		N/A

Give it a try and let me know what you think.
nebs-n-debs.nes
(40.02 KiB) Downloaded 864 times
M_Tee

Post by M_Tee »

It's simply gorgeous. The dashing turned out really smooth, and the title screen lettering is solid. I especially love the warm emphasis usage on the pause screen.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

Really nice! Also Kulor's soundtrack is rad. (I really love the "ending" tune.)

I notice the bottom row of attributes seems to get corrupted frequently. I tried to jump down onto one of these. :S
nebs-n-debs-0.png
nebs-n-debs-0.png (2.74 KiB) Viewed 18941 times
Am I supposed to die if I jump up here? Or is this an unintentional wrap-around causing me to fall down the pit at the bottom?
nebs-n-debs-1.png
nebs-n-debs-1.png (2.48 KiB) Viewed 18940 times
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

Another very nice entry! I did run into a few problems while dashing, though...

Dashing in the air once sent me behind the clouds and the collision map no longer matched what was being displayed on the screen. I couldn't replicate this in the air, but dashing against this wall or against the edge of the screen a few times does eventually make me land on the opposite side of the screen, and the collision map is wrong.

Dashing against the wall:
nebs-n-debs-16.png
nebs-n-debs-16.png (2.26 KiB) Viewed 18958 times
Landed on the opposite side:
nebs-n-debs-19.png
nebs-n-debs-19.png (2.29 KiB) Viewed 18958 times
Standing on air:
nebs-n-debs-20.png
nebs-n-debs-20.png (2.28 KiB) Viewed 18958 times
dullahan

Post by dullahan »

M_Tee wrote:It's simply gorgeous. The dashing turned out really smooth, and the title screen lettering is solid. I especially love the warm emphasis usage on the pause screen.
Thanks M_Tee :) I am a fan of the pause screen too.
rainwarrior wrote:Really nice! Also Kulor's soundtrack is rad. (I really love the "ending" tune.)
Aye, Kulor did a great job.
rainwarrior wrote:I notice the bottom row of attributes seems to get corrupted frequently. I tried to jump down onto one of these. :S
Interesting, I hadn't noticed that behavior. Thanks for the report. I will check it out.
rainwarrior wrote: Am I supposed to die if I jump up here? Or is this an unintentional wrap-around causing me to fall down the pit at the bottom?
Bummer, a regression it would appear :) I've fixed that bug a couple times now!
dullahan

Post by dullahan »

tokumaru wrote:Another very nice entry! I did run into a few problems while dashing, though...

Dashing in the air once sent me behind the clouds and the collision map no longer matched what was being displayed on the screen. I couldn't replicate this in the air, but dashing against this wall or against the edge of the screen a few times does eventually make me land on the opposite side of the screen, and the collision map is wrong.
Thanks for the reports. Thought the wrap around bug had been fixed. :)
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Post by FrankenGraphics »

This is a very solid and enjoyable entry! Music is fitting and great, too.

Maybe it's just me not mastering the height of the jump yet , but i keep bumping into this platform repeatedly, everytime in the beginning of level two, and kind of wish it was something like the edit to the right in this pic. A very minor issue in a great platforming experience.
nebs n debs.png
nebs n debs.png (7.71 KiB) Viewed 18913 times

Something caused the screen to go gray in fceux (2.2.2) when paused on my first play, but i cannot replicate it.
dullahan

Post by dullahan »

FrankenGraphics wrote:This is a very solid and enjoyable entry! Music is fitting and great, too.

Maybe it's just me not mastering the height of the jump yet , but i keep bumping into this platform repeatedly, everytime in the beginning of level two, and kind of wish it was something like the edit to the right in this pic. A very minor issue in a great platforming experience.
nebs n debs.png

Something caused the screen to go gray in fceux (2.2.2) when paused on my first play, but i cannot replicate it.
Thanks for the input. Yeah, that beginning section can be annoying. Also will keep an eye out for the gray screen.
dullahan

Post by dullahan »

rainwarrior wrote: I notice the bottom row of attributes seems to get corrupted frequently. I tried to jump down onto one of these. :S
rainwarrior what emu were you running when you noticed the attr glitches on the bottom row? I haven't been able to reproduce on FCEUX 2.2.3; however, on my Powerpak I do get weirdness-- sometimes attributes are wrong, other times the background tiles, and other times sprites. I was under the impression that my Powerpak was being wonky though. Will need to investigate.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

I was using FCEUX 2.2.3 (+ a few more recent additions, I build from source, but it's basically 2.2.3), though it might be important that I use New PPU mode.

I don't seem to see the attribute problems on the first stage, but they seem to occur frequently in the second stage. I also notice in the second stage "bumps" in the vertical scrolling now and then, almost like the scrolling is set too late, might be related to the same problem?

Problem seems to occur in Nintendulator too (the vertical shake + the attribute corruption, specifically in stage 2).
nebs_nintendulator.png
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

I've noticed another problem. This has happened to me a few times in the first stage, if I take the "lower" path and get the extra dash token, there's a high probability that I get killed by an invisible enemy in one particular spot.

Attached is a short FCEUX movie file demonstrating the problem, around about frame 1800 (~30 seconds) I seem to hit an invisible enemy in the air?

This is a picture of the spot just before it happens:
nebs-n-debs-6.png
nebs-n-debs-6.png (2.19 KiB) Viewed 18807 times
Attachments
invisible_enemy.zip
(750 Bytes) Downloaded 658 times