How do I make an NES pallete on Windows 10?

Discuss technical or other issues relating to programming the Nintendo Entertainment System, Famicom, or compatible systems. See the NESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

DementedPurple

How do I make an NES pallete on Windows 10?

Post by DementedPurple »

I tried using PAL.EXE, but it won't run on my Windows 10 PC. It says it's missing a dll of some kind. Do you know a way I could make a pallete for my NES game on my Windows 10 PC? Thanks!
dougeff

Re: How do I make an NES pallete on Windows 10?

Post by dougeff »

Option 1 - download the missing dll

Option 2 - use another tool. Nes Screen tool. I think tepples wrote a program also.

Option 3 - do it by hand

Option 4 - write your own tool.
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES
tepples

Post by tepples »

It's not that hard to create a hex palette by hand. Find the 2-digit hex code closest to each desired color in a palette swatch image and use that. And you'll end up having to at least know how to do it by hand if you want to, say, combine enemy types that use different palettes.

To help us understand the context, avoid following blind alleys unrelated to what you want to accomplish, and provide the most relevant answer, for what part of your game were you trying to make a palette? Static background? Scrolling background? Sprite? All sprites?
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

dougeff wrote:Option 1 - download the missing dll
I don't really recommend doing this in the "direct" way. There are a lot of malware scams propagating through "download this DLL" sites.

The process for finding a missing DLL is usually to look up the appropriate package that the DLL is normally distributed in, e.g. the MSVCRT family of DLLs belong to various Visual Studio Runtime packages distributed by Microsoft and you should download them directly from there.
dougeff wrote:Option 2 - use another tool. Nes Screen tool. I think tepples wrote a program also.
The NES screen tool is available here: http://shiru.untergrund.net/software.shtml

What does PAL.EXE do, anyway? Are you trying to make a palette to use in an emulator, or a palette to use in an NES ROM? If you're making a ROM, it's often appropriate just to type it into your assembly source as hexadecimal numbers, rather than try to include a binary.