I need someone to design graphics.

A place for your artistic side. Discuss techniques and tools for pixel art on the NES, GBC, or similar platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

DementedPurple

I need someone to design graphics.

Post by DementedPurple »

I'm making a game about a blob that can turn into whatever items he gets, do we have anyone who could design the graphics? Thanks!
DementedPurple

Re: I need someone to design graphics.

Post by DementedPurple »

I've already done some of the graphics.
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Post by FrankenGraphics »

Hi! A little more background may help people evaluate if they're got time/interest. What is the time scope for the project? Is it going to be free to play, commercial, or both? Have you completed a game or something similar before?
DementedPurple

Post by DementedPurple »

Well, it's an NES game, and I'm not quite sure if I'm going to sell it. You don't have a time constraint, and if you don't feel like using YY-CHR, then I'd be happy to let you just draw it on graphing paper and emailing me the scanned document. Here is my E-mail address: clanin.evan28@gmail.com, and the pixel constraints are 16x16. since this is an NES game, you are limited to three colors excluding the background. The colors you will be using (Excluding the background) are Black,Green, and Brown.
Estlib

Post by Estlib »

MS Paint is sufficient for this sort of design. Asking people to make the designs on paper (while IRL thats how they did it) is a bad idea because drawings on paper can look more impressive than what the nes can actually do, so you might be faced with a challenge of trying to cram something impossible into the limits of what the nes can do (detail-wise). XP-version of ms paint is good for this because you can have the nes palette pasted right into the image and a 16x16 block or any permutation you can have with 8x8 tiles right there to draw on.
NOPE.
M_Tee

Post by M_Tee »

You might want to post some images of what you have completed so far, so that anyone who might be interested could have a better idea of the project.
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Post by FrankenGraphics »

I was going to suggest the same (sorry, my previous post was written in a hurry). If there's already some graphics assets, and you are after a certain style, it might be a good idea to post and describe those so different artists/assets producers/gfx designers can see if their range of styles comply to your idea, or have ideas on directions you might like.

Regarding format, i think most users on this forum are comfortable working with tools such as PS, inDesign, blender, GIMP, various sprite tools, and custom NES tools such as NESST and YY-CHR. Drawing on paper can sometimes be useful for me (different processes lead to different results), but normally, i do things directly in the NES bitmap format for the sake of time efficiency.
Last edited by FrankenGraphics on Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

There are several artists here, but this is more of a technical forum than one for artists in general. You might try asking at forums dedicated to pixel art too, like maybe pixelation or pixeljoint?
DementedPurple

Post by DementedPurple »

Here is the graphics I've already made.
Attachments
NewFile.chr
(8 KiB) Downloaded 267 times
gauauu

Post by gauauu »

rainwarrior wrote:There are several artists here, but this is more of a technical forum than one for artists in general. You might try asking at forums dedicated to pixel art too, like maybe pixelation or pixeljoint?
I had good luck with pixelation, and had a person there volunteer to help me. Pixeljoint won't let you actually join the forums anymore until you've posted sufficient amounts of art in their gallery. Not so helpful for those looking for artists.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

gauauu wrote:Pixeljoint won't let you actually join the forums anymore until you've posted sufficient amounts of art in their gallery. Not so helpful for those looking for artists.
Oh, that's weird. They even have a "job postings" board, which that must have a big contrary effect upon.
DementedPurple

Post by DementedPurple »

Here are some of the sprites drawings of some things I need made plus an updated CHR bank, plus make sure to read the file called "notes.txt"
Attachments
Sprites needed.zip
(38.46 KiB) Downloaded 246 times
DementedPurple

Post by DementedPurple »

DementedPurple wrote:Here are some of the sprites drawings of some things I need made plus an updated CHR bank, plus make sure to read the file called "notes.txt"
I also need a title screen that says "Slimed" I don't care about the font, I just forgot to mention that.
DRW

Post by DRW »

DementedPurple wrote:I'm making a game about a blob that can turn into whatever items he gets
That sounds familiar.
My game "City Trouble":
Gameplay video: https://youtu.be/Eee0yurkIW4
Download (ROM, manual, artworks): http://www.denny-r-walter.de/city.html
DementedPurple

Post by DementedPurple »

DRW wrote:
DementedPurple wrote:I'm making a game about a blob that can turn into whatever items he gets
That sounds familiar.
All apologies to David Crane, all similarities are completely coincidental, I've never heard of that game, I'll try to come up with something else.