Prez

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

GaTechGrad

Prez

Post by GaTechGrad »

This is my second NES game that I've developed, which was for the MiniLD #71 "Retro Challenge". You play as Prez and must collect the flags as they fall from the sky. My first game was a *very* simple space shooter called Space Dude, which I created back in April 2014. I tried a few new things for this game, such as using multiple palettes and using "random" values to position the flags.

Runs well with FCEUX 2.2.2. I haven't tried other emulators.

Tools used:
NESASM3 - 6502 assembler
YY-CHR - tile creator
Gimp - converting white house image to four color palette

Things I would like to add:
Title screen
Music and sound effects
Simple running animation

Attachments
prez.nes
(48.02 KiB) Downloaded 482 times
Last edited by GaTechGrad on Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tepples

Re: Prez

Post by tepples »

GaTechGrad

Post by GaTechGrad »

I made a few new updates.
- Added a simple two frame animation walking loop
- Added speed variable (just one or zero) which tracks if the player is standing or walking. If standing, the animation loop isn't played.
- Fixed the background vertical scroll issue (stored #$00 #$00 in $2005, which turns off scrolling)
- Moved the letters "FLAGS" to the background layer, which eliminated the tearing problem with too many sprites on the same horizontal row. I had to keep the score on the sprite layer, because I don't know how to write over tiles in the background layer (or if it's even possible)
- Made a seamless background of hedges that I put on both sides of the White House
- Due to the vertical scroll fix, I pushed the remaining tiles down one row. I was surprised that this made the ground in front of the White House look much better, since it moved the ground to the attribute block with the green grass palette.
- When a flag falls below a certain Y coordinate (defined with a constant), it resets to a "random" position at the top of the screen. Previously, the flag would just loop back to the top of the screen after the Y position value rolled back over from #$FF to #$00.

Attachments
prez.zip
(2.84 KiB) Downloaded 456 times
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

New Prez.png
New Prez.png (332 Bytes) Viewed 7132 times
GaTechGrad

Post by GaTechGrad »