Glory of Heracles IV - SNES Translation fix?

Discussion of development of software for any "obsolete" computer or video game system. See the WSdev wiki and ObscureDev wiki for more information on certain platforms.
Tormenter

Glory of Heracles IV - SNES Translation fix?

Post by Tormenter »

Tried putting Glory of Heracles IV English Translation for SNES on my dev board...does not seem to work correctly on a real board. Emulators are fine though. Anyone ever messed with this to get it going? The gameplay seems to be fine, but the menus are all messed up. Plays fine in emulator though. I tried several different roms from different sources, and all seem to do the same thing =(
lidnariq

Re: Glory of Heracles IV - SNES Translation fix?

Post by lidnariq »

Which emulators?
Tormenter

Post by Tormenter »

lidnariq wrote:Which emulators?

Should of said emulator....snes9x works great. Figured there is a byte that needs changed somewhere or something. Here is what it is doing when I put it on eprom. Emulator is is fine. This is the menu that pops up when you hit the start button in game.

lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

snes9x and zsnes are phenomenally inaccurate emulators, and there's at best a minimal correlation between "works in either" to "works on hardware".

Try again in higan/bsnesplus.
Tormenter

Post by Tormenter »

It works perfect with snes9x. The image above is when I put it on a physical cart. Neither of those emulators would even find my rom file =(
tepples

Post by tepples »

How big is the ROM file in bytes? Is it an even multiple of 524288 bytes (4 Mbit), or is it a multiple of 524288 bytes plus 512 bytes? Newer emulators don't need 512-byte headers that were added by obsolete floppy disk-based copiers. If it has the copier header, chop off the first 512 bytes in a hex editor and rename the file to end in .sfc (headerless Super Famicom ROM image), as opposed to a copier-specific extension such as .smc, .swc, or .fig.
Tormenter

Post by Tormenter »

4,194,304 and it's headerless and already .sfc =(
AWJ

Post by AWJ »

The menu seems to work in bsnes-classic:

One possibility is that your dev cartridge doesn't have enough SRAM for the game. According to the internal header, the translated game needs 16KB (expanded from 8KB in the original Japanese version)
Markfrizb

Post by Markfrizb »

AWJ wrote:The menu seems to work in bsnes-classic:

One possibility is that your dev cartridge doesn't have enough SRAM for the game. According to the internal header, the translated game needs 16KB (expanded from 8KB in the original Japanese version)

I ran into this not too long ago. ON REAL HW, you must use 128K sram, not 256k, not 64k. It's a "protection" scheme the hacker did.
I made this on RHW and it works fine.
Tormenter

Post by Tormenter »

Markfrizb wrote:
AWJ wrote:The menu seems to work in bsnes-classic:

I ran into this not too long ago. ON REAL HW, you must use 128K sram, not 256k, not 64k. It's a "protection" scheme the hacker did.
I made this on RHW and it works fine.
What donor has 128k? Can't seem to locate one. I used a 256k one on the dev.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Tie A14 on your 256 kbit SRAM to ground.
Markfrizb

Post by Markfrizb »

tepples wrote:Tie A14 on your 256 kbit SRAM to ground.
Correct but pull it out of circuit so A14 isn't connected to the buss, then ground it.
Tormenter

Post by Tormenter »

Thanks, will give it a try here in a few.