Evaluating multiplayer games

Moderator: Moderators

RogerBidon

Evaluating multiplayer games

Post by RogerBidon »

Multiplayer games are a strange beast. I played them with actual fellows which is definitely a lot of fun by itself. It has some serious potential to induce a bias when it comes to notation.

On the other side, none of the three multiplayers entries propose anything for one player. For those who played single to evaluate entries, it seems to induce the opposite bias: there is nothing funny to do in these games.

I am interested in knowing how you evaluated these games. Having myself submited a multiplayer-only game makes this issue more personal. Note that this thread is late on purpose, to not influence notation but just understand it when it comes ;)
gauauu

Re: Evaluating multiplayer games

Post by gauauu »

RogerBidon wrote: On the other side, none of the three multiplayers entries propose anything for one player.
I added a primitive AI for Spacey McRacey at the last minute, so you could sample it with one player. It's not as fun, because the AI is so stupid, but at least there's something to play and judge...

But you're right, it's hard to judge a multiplayer-only game with one person. I don't have a good answer for you.
M_Tee

Post by M_Tee »

I haven't looked into it in a very long time, but do any emulators support 4-player netplay?
RogerBidon

Post by RogerBidon »

gauauu wrote:I added a primitive AI for Spacey McRacey at the last minute
Oh I thought that it did not make it in time for the entry as the interface did not explicitely indicated that it was an option. Just tried the solo mode, it's pretty solid. The AI being stupid is balanced by the overall chaos of the game for a nice experience.
do any emulators support 4-player netplay?
Nestopia seems to do the job according what peoples say online. Never tried it personally.
gauauu

Post by gauauu »

RogerBidon wrote: Oh I thought that it did not make it in time for the entry as the interface did not explicitely indicated that it was an option. Just tried the solo mode, it's pretty solid. The AI being stupid is balanced by the overall chaos of the game for a nice experience.
Yeah, I expected it to be a lot more difficult to get it to feel playable. But like you said, it's chaotic enough that it works somewhat even though it's stupid. But you rarely get to play the later phases, as it's hard to lose against that AI.
M_Tee

Post by M_Tee »

Then hwould there be a prpblem with having a thread to organize netplay matches?
RogerBidon

Post by RogerBidon »

That would be a great idea. How do you think such a thread would be? Would it be sufficient to describe a working netplay configuration and give a date/hour to meet on IRC, play and discuss?