I can't record NES via TOTMC

Discuss technical or other issues relating to programming the Nintendo Entertainment System, Famicom, or compatible systems. See the NESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

DementedPurple

I can't record NES via TOTMC

Post by DementedPurple »

Hey, I'm trying to record my NES through a TOTMC composite thing. I'm using a Windows 10 PC, Is that the problem? I get audio but no video. If I'm lucky, however, I'll occasionally get green fuzz on the bottom of the screen.
jmr

Re: I can't record NES via TOTMC

Post by jmr »

I don't have that exact capture device, but I have a similar one that also does not work with the NES video signal. I put it down to the capture device not supporting 240p signals and/or not supporting the ~30.051 fps output (as opposed to the conventional NTSC standard 29.97 fps).
DementedPurple

Post by DementedPurple »

Is their a solution?
tepples

Post by tepples »

Does a modern (Dreamcast or later) console work through the capture device? What other 1977-1996 consoles do you have to test the capture device?
DementedPurple

Post by DementedPurple »

All I have left that outputs composite is my wii. I have a 1988 VCR, will that work?
tepples

Post by tepples »

Try the Wii (running a native game, not a Virtual Console game), try the Wii running a Virtual Console game, try the VCR running one of your own tapes, and try the VCR running a pre-recorded tape. The differences among these may help us characterize that particular make and model of capture device and, if the situation warrants, warn others to avoid that device.
DementedPurple

Post by DementedPurple »

tepples wrote:Try the Wii (running a native game, not a Virtual Console game), try the Wii running a Virtual Console game, try the VCR running one of your own tapes, and try the VCR running a pre-recorded tape. The differences among these may help us characterize that particular make and model of capture device and, if the situation warrants, warn others to avoid that device.
None of them seem to work...