NES Classic Edition - Nintendo's own repro console

Discuss hardware-related topics, such as development cartridges, CopyNES, PowerPak, EPROMs, or whatever.

Moderator: Moderators

Jedi QuestMaster

Re: NES Classic Edition - Nintendo's own repro console

Post by Jedi QuestMaster »

I bought the Yok brand controller: http://www.gamestop.com/nes/accessories ... ler/138482

Being third party, I had my doubts about its functionality. But after playing with it, I have no problems with how it feels.

However, for some reason it doesn't work on the Legend of Zelda (Virtual Console - NES) at all. The Wii Classic Controller works fine, and the Yok controller works on Sonic the Hedgehog (Virtual Console - SMS) and on Mega Man 9, which is the main reason I bought this controller.

I tried switching out the Classic Controller for the Yok one while Zelda is on and still get this problem--it just doesn't work. I can switch the Classic Controller back in and that works fine. I don't get it.

Has anyone else had any issues with any other gamepads? Or is this just Zelda or something? Does the official NES Classic gamepad have this issue?
maseter wrote:Does the original NES controller PCB fit with into the new NES Classic controller mold, anyone tested this yet?
I was told that it does. I could try this with the Yok gamepad if you'd like to know... :?
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

Nioreh

Post by Nioreh »

They really love to piss their customers off for no reason, it seems. Why?

I ordered mine months ago, way before release. I still haven't got one.

I finally folded after all this time when the news broke. I got an overpriced mini on ebay... Scalpers win. :(
Fisher

Post by Fisher »

Unfortunatelly, even liking Nintendo, I have to agree with this writter here:
http://www.polygon.com/2016/11/11/13597 ... n-shortage
infiniteneslives

Post by infiniteneslives »

Only a month after the switch launch, the classic gets canned...

To me it seems like the NES classic was just a PR drive for Nintendo prior to switch launch. They never really cared about the NES classic as a product. If they cared about making money off the classic they would have ramped supplies better, and created a means to sell games digitally with it. And they certainly wouldn't trash a hot selling product 6 months after release. They only cared about gaining media spot light and getting people to start talking about Nintendo again prior to their next console launch. My most measures they succeeded. Thats the only thing that really makes sense of why the NES classic was never intended to be a long term product in my mind.
If you're gonna play the Game Boy, you gotta learn to play it right. -Kenny Rogers
Myask

Post by Myask »

to play Devil's Advocate…

Alternately, people discovering how to load other games on it meant it lowered the price bar for VC piracy…and, by their own design, could not update to close such holes.

Alternately, Disney Movie Vault Strategy.

Alternately, like with the "Classic NES series" for e-Reader and later standalone GBA, a bellwether.

(Expect a SNES Classic Edition in a few years.)

Alternately Alternately Out of Left Field, they're going to release a NES-101 Classic Edition.
Fisher

Post by Fisher »

If I were one of the Nintendo's shareholders I would be pissed off!!
Specially if what the Pat the NES punk says on his video about it is real.
In his calculations he says the big N could get around 1 billion dollars in about a year with the NES Calssic.

Well, I guess it's for good, since you can get a Raspberry Pi on a nice case for about half of the price.
And AFAIK the Raspberry is very easy to add extra functionality. :-)
infiniteneslives

Post by infiniteneslives »

The effort they put in to disappoint their customers is absurd..
Rumors of SNES classic this year.

The rumor sounds a little more legit than the "wouldn't it be awesome if they made a SNES classic," when the NES Classic was announced.
If you're gonna play the Game Boy, you gotta learn to play it right. -Kenny Rogers
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

Gotta love the logic used in that article:
the SNES arguably boasts the better software line-up, and a catalogue of classics far more advanced than their NES forebears. Compare The Legend of Zelda on NES to A Link to the Past, for example, or Donkey Kong to Donkey Kong Country.
This basically says that ceasing production of the NES mini is a good thing, because we're getting the SNES mini instead, defending the notion that "newer is better", which totally goes against the very nature of these products. If you think newer is better, go play the Switch and stop writing bullshit.

The NES mini sold well because people like the games, regardless of what came after. SNES games are pretty cool too, but they aren't always objectively better and they don't automatically eliminate the enjoyment of everything that came before.
calima

Post by calima »

If it has Mario RPG and a few other good titles, I'd get one.
Myask

Post by Myask »

I've already got my GBA mini. It even will open and hold a GBA cart! :lol:
Fisher

Post by Fisher »

Totally agree with Tokumaru's point!
If newer is better, there wouldn't be many sales on Atari flashback, many retro consoles or even the anouncement of the new MegaDrive!
Sites like NesDev, Sega16 and many others dedicated to discuss retrogames wouldn't exist either.
Also, the WiiU, while considerably better than the Wii, was a comercial failure.
SatoshiMatrix

Post by SatoshiMatrix »

I managed to snag a Famicom Mini, the Japanese version of the NES Classic Edition.

Like the original HVC001, it's controllers are hardwired to the console, connected via a JST 1.5mm 6 pin connector although only 4 wires are connected.

The main problem is the controllers are only 3 feet long. On the NES version, you can simply buy extention cables and problem solved.

I'd like to cut the stock 3 foot cable and replace it with a 6 or perhaps even a 10 foot cable using a donor USB cable. That has four wires, so it should work, should it not?

I also wonder about the possibility of adding a Wiimote expansion port from an extention cable to the mock expansion port located on the mini. Do JST Y connector cables exist? Is it okay to split controller signals in series like that, so that the signal could go to both the player 1 stock controller and a Wii Classic Controller if connected?
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

The protocol on the wire is I²C, which is comparatively tolerant of bad routing, including forks in the path. It is asking for trouble, though.

I don't think a pre-existing {Wii nunchuk} to {JST} adapter exists, but there's no reason you couldn't build your own.
SatoshiMatrix

Post by SatoshiMatrix »

I'm of course talking about soldering my own JST to Wii Classic adapter like this guy did.

http://i.imgur.com/3HyK0Qc.jpg

But having the connection fork to the stock controller as well.

When you say it is comparatively tolerant of bad routing and asking for trouble, what do you mean? If it's not going to work correctly, then I don't see the point in doing the mod.