GameCube x Wii

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

Zepper
Formerly Fx3

GameCube x Wii

Post by Zepper »

Fun fact: the Mega Man Anniversary Collection runs better on Wii. Example, I can hear the "Mega Man 8" voice intro on Wii (later a sound stop-then-resume (looped sample)), but not on Gamecube, which skips the intro and jumps to mid-music in any stage. Very odd.

Common fact: the Wii has the component cable, and it boost drastically the Gamecube image output. I don't own the GCN video component cable, but from the reviews, it doesn't do justice like the Wii does.
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Re: GameCube x Wii

Post by Drew Sebastino »

GameCube x Wii: I don't need to hook up a sensor bar to navigate a dumb menu on the GameCube. :wink:
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

Bootmii and Homebrew Channel: Who needs a Wiimote?
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
tepples

Post by tepples »

A Wii Classic Controller can navigate even an unmodded Wii console's menu without a Sensor Bar.
Fisher

Post by Fisher »

I once read a developer complaining that the Wii is basically 2 Gamecubes duct taped together.
Later he was corrected, since the Wii is not as powerfull as 2 Gamecubes. :roll:

Jokes apart, I've found that the Wii is a very nice machine.
It's not cutting edge, but has many nice games that me and my kids love to play.
The emulators for it are nice too, and it's not very expensive (at least not here, on present day) and is pretty "resistant" (my kids had not broken it yet).
I have seem some Wiis with dead optical units to come back on "action" by installing the HomeBrew channel and a pendrive.
The YouTube channel, used together with Wii MC is also a nice way to bring some Smart TV functions to an old CRT TV :wink: .

Gamecube is a good example that processor power doesn't necessarily wins a console war.
It and the original Xbox were miles away from the PS2, that I think is the clear winner of the "war" at that time.
It's a nice console too, unfortunatelly I don't own or have one that can make comparisons between the real thing and a Wii running nintendon't. :-(
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

My Wii crashes at the highly highly intensive Wii menu due to thermal issues, but the emulators still run perfectly. Thanks Bootmii!
Skyward Sword seems to be too much for my system to handle, and it crashes though.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
Bratwurst

Post by Bratwurst »

Dwedit wrote:My Wii crashes at the highly highly intensive Wii menu due to thermal issues, but the emulators still run perfectly. Thanks Bootmii!
Skyward Sword seems to be too much for my system to handle, and it crashes though.
The Wii uses very thick (1.3mm), thermally inefficient pads between its processors and heatsink. With a little modification of the heatsink (sanded down the bottom posts) I was able to remove that clearance gap and mount it with arctic silver compound instead. I bet that would help in your case.

I also installed a secondary fan (45mm fan mounted at a 45 degree angle against the heatsink fins) and took out the disc drive but that's a bit extreme.
Zepper
Formerly Fx3

Post by Zepper »

Well, what's the problem with Mega Man 8 after all? Why does it run better on Wii than on GameCube?
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

Good Gamecubes are easy to find. There are the old DOL-001 with all the ports and a later DOL-001 model that lacks the (unused) Serial Port 2.
The late model DOL-101 is missing both Serial Port 2 and the Digital AV port.

So the best model are the earlier DOL-001 systems I guess. That's what I have, one PAL and one Japanese.

Dwedit wrote:My Wii crashes at the highly highly intensive Wii menu due to thermal issues, but the emulators still run perfectly. Thanks Bootmii!
I guess you have one of those Wiis with faulty cooling and that breaks the GPU if you use WiiConnect24 for a longer time?
Zepper
Formerly Fx3

Post by Zepper »

Zepper wrote:Well, what's the problem with Mega Man 8 after all? Why does it run better on Wii than on GameCube?
bump
Fisher

Post by Fisher »

From what I could see, even though it's running on compatibility mode, Wii still has better disc and memory access.
In games like "Strikers" and "Crime Streets of New York" these effects are pretty noticeable!
For the component cables, the GC output is digital, what probably makes it very sensible about the cable's DAC quality.
With this in mind, I think a GC HDMI cable would be not very difficult to build.

Please, someone correct me if I'm wrong.