Ludum Dare The Sequel: Who Dar-rays Wins

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

team_disposable

Ludum Dare The Sequel: Who Dar-rays Wins

Post by team_disposable »

Ludum Dare is coming up this weekend. I'm working on a big project, but intend to knock up a quick nes puzzle game on the side around the theme.

Who else is in?
pubby

Re: Ludum Dare The Sequel: Who Dar-rays Wins

Post by pubby »

Man, I haven't done Ludum Dare in like a decade. Maybe I'll give it another shot this weekend.

Any musicians interested in teaming up?
cppchriscpp

Post by cppchriscpp »

I'll be doing it. Not sure exactly what kind of game I'm going for, but I'll definitely be making an NES game. Probably going to try my hand at a cc65 project this time. (Most of what I've done in the past has been pure ASM.)

Using this as a base: https://github.com/cppchriscpp/nes-c-boilerplate

Looking forward to seeing other retro entries again!
pubby

Post by pubby »

I'll stream on https://www.twitch.tv/pubby8

Dunno if I'll make anything though. Might quit in a few hours.
team_disposable

Sounds excellent!

The theme is "a small world". I have no ideas yet, but I have a nice CC65 framework set up for when I (eventually) do.

I look forward to seeing what you two make.
team_disposable

Here's what i have so far - not sure what I'm building yet though. Maybe nothing too original.
small_world.22-04-2017@10-40-44.08-0.png
small_world.22-04-2017@10-40-44.08-0.png (1.62 KiB) Viewed 8052 times
This is loading levels built in tiled and compressed to the same format as Sumez's level editor.

ccpchrisccp - I checked out your boilerplate code, nice choice with MMC1! Does MMC1 allow for switching of nametable mirroring while the cart is running?
cppchriscpp

Post by cppchriscpp »

Yes it does! There's actually a function in boilerplate to do that: set_mirroring(MIRROR_VERTICAL|MIRROR_HORIZONTAL)

If I get time I may be using that for some cheap scrolling between screens.

Also I like your graphics - I'm about to the same point with loading levels, however my graphics currently look like hot garbage. Oh well, enough to build some mechanics on, at least.
pubby

Post by pubby »

Stream is going back up. https://www.twitch.tv/pubby8
team_disposable

ccpchrisccp - thanks! I'll have to check out that code. MMC1 is one of those that switches the whole bank as well, is that right? I quite like the idea of that, as it seems you could make something with two split game types quite easily.

pubby - I checked out your stream, I look forward to seeing what you put together, that engine you posted a while ago was great. I was flicking through and think I saw some kind of awesomely complex build chain?

Here's where I am so far - we have full physics with collision. They're not optimised - pressing select will show the frame time - and most of that is taken by pulling individual tiles out of storage as I don't use a separate collision map.

Any comments welcome. I've tried to go with an exaggerated loony toons feel for the character. The sprites are quite rough still.
Attachments
ludum_dare.22-04-2017@16-22-26.12.nes
(64.02 KiB) Downloaded 257 times
team_disposable

I realised I'd actually bracketed out the deceleration, so that has more instant twitch controls then I was expecting.

Here it is with proper deceleration!
ludum_dare.22-04-2017@17-20-44.87.nes
(64.02 KiB) Downloaded 277 times
pubby

Post by pubby »

Any comments welcome. I've tried to go with an exaggerated loony toons feel for the character. The sprites are quite rough still.
It looks great! I hope you finish :)
na_th_an

Post by na_th_an »

I absolutely dig the style of the animation. Looks superb.
team_disposable

Thanks!

I've been working on the main trick of the game all morning and it's getting there...
ludum_dare.23-04-2017@12-42-00.83-0.png
ludum_dare.23-04-2017@12-42-00.83-0.png (1.03 KiB) Viewed 7891 times
How is everyone else doing?
team_disposable

Here's the current build - gravity is working, and the frame of the map is there. I've got about 7 screens to do and then tying the whole thing together with pickups and win fail states.

Any comments welcome, especially if you find yourself getting stuck in walls or something similar.

Select is also set to switch your gravity manually as debug.
ludum_dare.23-04-2017@23-04-00.11.nes
(64.02 KiB) Downloaded 256 times
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Really nice idea, reminds me of some of the 2D stages in Mario Galaxy, and I can totally see it expanding into a bigger game.

I got stuck in the room under the number 19, when standing on the floor with "regular" gravity and leaving to the left you end up inside a wall.
Also the tree on the room where you start has some funny collision detection, I can sort of provoke it by jumping into it from a bit to the right, angling it so that the jump arc connects with the corner of the tree. A wild guess says it could be caused by an open area that's lower than your character's bounding box? Classic issue.