i am bored.

A place for your artistic side. Discuss techniques and tools for pixel art on the NES, GBC, or similar platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Re: i am bored.

Post by FrankenGraphics »

too wiggly
I thought it looked interesting/cool. The extensive detail makes them feel like they're part of a foreground layer, which works rather well with the pyramid/sand slope. Elsewhere, it's maybe a little more confusing. I'd experiment with rolling the wigglyness back just a little and see how that works.
Estlib

Post by Estlib »

Drag wrote:I think the large sandstone bricks look too wiggly; if you remove the bezel decoration on the front, they could easily pass as compacted snow-bricks. The black shadow also looks like it's too far forward, if you were going for a backlighting effect, so it ends up looking a little out of place.
Im not gonna redesign the large bricks. atleast not yet.
Drag wrote:The pyramid interior could benefit from some more contrast in the palette, the shadowed color is too bright and it makes the entire scene look flat, and like with the bricks, the black shadow on the pedestals is too far forward and looks out of place; all you need to do is push it farther to the right (almost up against the edge) and it'll look fine.
i couldnt find a better colour palette for this right now so until i do, it stays as it is right now. (though the standing torches did get that shadow edit)
Drag wrote:I really dig that nighttime scene; that horizon looks like it could strongly benefit from some the silhouette of some sandy hills against the gradient, not unlike the shape that's right above the water in the oasis scene. I might be wrong, but it seems like a neat thing to try out; you could also use it to hide the artifacting caused by the gradient tiles running into the diagonal sand tiles.
lazy patch at the edge of the pyramid. ill most likely just end the bg with a block, not a slope in practical use. i might do the hills idea here too though.
Drag wrote:The volcano environment looks neat too, but you may want to consider scrapping the purple haze, since you're going to run into more cut-out artifacting as foreground objects need to be placed overtop of it, unless you can come up with some creative way to mask it, of course.
you mean like this?
Drag wrote:I hope this criticism doesn't sound too negative; I really am enjoying all of the art you're posting so far.
its helping though.
NOPE.
Drag

Post by Drag »

The mountains in the volcano scene look great, that's actually what I was thinking of when looking at the nighttime desert scene.
Estlib

Post by Estlib »

some more images of existing art, but as actual level designs. (im using tiled to put some levels together for reference)
ImageImage
ImageImage
NOPE.
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

Looks good.
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES
Estlib

Post by Estlib »

ruins level
NOPE.
Myask

Post by Myask »

all looks good!
Frankly, it's somewhere between DokiDoki Panic (SMB2US) and Smart Ball (Jerry: SNES), having that late-system feel of "are we sure this isn't the next generation?"
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

As far as I know, I'm going to program this game, sometime in the future. This is just the concept art.
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES
Sumez

Post by Sumez »