Lunar Limit (Ludum Dare)

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

pubby

Lunar Limit (Ludum Dare)

Post by pubby »

The game I made for this week's Ludum Dare is called Lunar Limit. It's an early 1980s-esque arcade shooter about blasting space ships and dodging bullets. In the game, you're in control of a miniature version of planet earth; "Mini Earth", and must use your faithful satellite; "The Moon Cannon", to survive.

Controls:
  • DPad - Move Earth
  • A/B - Rotate moon
  • Select - Use Powerup
Let me know if you find any serious bugs before I submit it to the Ludum Dare website. :wink:

ImageImage

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hya0hYITBwQ

Enjoy!

Edit: I've fixed a rarely-occuring crash and have uploaded a second rom.
Attachments
lunarlimit_bugfixed.nes
(40.02 KiB) Downloaded 500 times
lunarlimit.nes
(40.02 KiB) Downloaded 436 times
Last edited by pubby on Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sumez

Re: Lunar Limit (Ludum Dare)

Post by Sumez »

Nice job. I'm especially impressed at how effortlessly it gets really hectic without slowdown or annoying consequences in the gameplay.
Memblers
Site Admin

Post by Memblers »

This game is pretty fun.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

Interesting way to aim, and I remember that "infinite bullets" idea. :) The mini earth is cute.

I like it.

As for bugs, after the PPU warmup I notice there is one frame of "random" (uninitialized) sprites before the game starts. Seems to indicate that your OAM buffer in RAM is not initialized. If it's just that, it's probably inconsequential, but if you're not initializing the rest of RAM you might want to.

It also seems that you can pass through ships (but not bullets). That's probably not a bad design, just I was surprised by it.
Bavi_H

Post by Bavi_H »

pubby wrote:Controls:
  • A/B - Rotate moon
  • Select - Use Powerup
Consider adding "D-Pad - Move Earth" to your list of controls.

(I tried the game out before clicking on the video. I don't usually think of the Earth as being able to move, and I didn't try pressing the D-Pad until after several Game Overs.)
team_disposable

Post by team_disposable »

This is ace. Love the use of the nametables, too.
cppchriscpp

Post by cppchriscpp »

This is awesome; I love it! I like the infinite bullets to allow for greater control of your tiny world.

Always nice to see another entry for older consoles. I'll be sure to poke at it again once voting goes live.
pubby

Post by pubby »

Thanks for the comments everyone. :beer: :)

I wrote a short article on the danmaku.nes bullet code for the Ludum Dare blog. It's written for non-nesdev people and there's a bit of hyperbole and bombast in there to make it sound more interesting/technical than it really is, but if you're interested here's a link:

https://ldjam.com/events/ludum-dare/38/ ... cal-part-1
Consider adding "D-Pad - Move Earth" to your list of controls.
Haha. Whoops!
As for bugs, after the PPU warmup I notice there is one frame of "random" (uninitialized) sprites before the game starts. Seems to indicate that your OAM buffer in RAM is not initialized. If it's just that, it's probably inconsequential, but if you're not initializing the rest of RAM you might want to.
Should be fixed in the version on the LD site.
Erockbrox

Post by Erockbrox »

This looks outstanding!
dustmop

Post by dustmop »

This is really neat!

I'll be honest, when I first saw the danmaku demo using nametables for bullets, I didn't see what the purpose of it was, especially with the non-smooth movement. But here it totally makes sense; the shakiness actually helps the enemy projectiles to stand out, and making the background out of sprites solves the problem of not having any nametables to work with. The added camera drift completes the effect nicely. Color me impressed!
rikami

Post by rikami »

The technical aspect of this game is insane :shock:

Really impressive work!
tempus edax rerum
zzo38

Post by zzo38 »

This game is good I like this game. However, I have some ideas of altering the scoring a bit (so they aren't always a multiple of ten):
  • If you collect heart when you already have nine lives you can earn three points.
  • If you collect alphabets that you already have then you can earn one point.
  • If you activate "B" to destroy everything then you can earn one point.
The battery version that can save the high score can also be the possible idea, to more easily to keep track of high score. (I think my highest score is something a bit more than 09000 although I did not actually keep track of it.)

Also, why it says eleven games even though is only one game and why it says VCS even though it is actually NES?

There is also a bug sometimes the hearts and alphabets will seem to teleport to a different location rather than moving properly.
(Free Hero Mesh - FOSS puzzle game engine)
pubby

Post by pubby »

Thanks. I'll look into that if I ever work on the game again.
Also, why it says eleven games even though is only one game and why it says VCS even though it is actually NES?
It was a parody of VCS box art, which tends to be nonsensical.

Space invaders was 112 games, apparently: http://www.videogameobsession.com/video ... rs-vgo.jpg
gauauu

Post by gauauu »

pubby wrote: It was a parody of VCS box art, which tends to be nonsensical.

Space invaders was 112 games, apparently: http://www.videogameobsession.com/video ... rs-vgo.jpg
It wasn't really completely nonsensical -- The VCS (Atari) boxes listed the number of game variations. Many Atari games had quite a few game modes -- sometimes as simple as adjusting difficulty or enemy speeds, but sometimes having major feature changes between versions (Space Invaders, for example, had modes with invisible enemies, bunkers or no bunkers, 1 or 2 players, enemy bullets that could move horizontally (or not), and more). Once you had all the permutations of those features, you could easily come up with 112 variations. I'll admit that calling them separate "games" was a stretch, but it did make some level of sense.

I also wondered, when seeing your box, how to access the other 10 game modes.
tepples

Post by tepples »

gauauu wrote:Many Atari games had quite a few game modes -- sometimes as simple as adjusting difficulty or enemy speeds, but sometimes having major feature changes between versions (Space Invaders, for example, had modes with invisible enemies, bunkers or no bunkers, 1 or 2 players, enemy bullets that could move horizontally (or not), and more). Once you had all the permutations of those features, you could easily come up with 112 variations. I'll admit that calling them separate "games" was a stretch, but it did make some level of sense.
It made as much sense as 9999-in-1 Famicom multicarts that have about 40 unique. At least Action 52 was more honest.