It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:19 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 3:05 pm 

hex_usr wrote:
loopy wrote:
Show me one game that does this.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

To avoid getting into meta-argument about what you can prove...

Loopy's point is there's no demonstrated utility in including the CRC.

If you want, you could make a working disk image to prove that you could make something that relies on a bad CRC. Such an example doesn't demonstrate utility though, just that it could be done. It's obvious that it could be done, nobody here is doubting that.

I don't think there's a harm in trying to emulate/record the CRCs in some way, but arguing that it's theoretically possible isn't a very convincing way to make anyone interested in it. If you could actually discover a cool new game that it was meaningfully relevant to, maybe people would care, but otherwise it's an extremely academic desire.

...and I still think trying to do it with heuristics on the disk image is underperforming for this academic goal. There's not much point in adding only a CRC, add the whole enchilada and be done with it! If you're trying to cram it into the .FDS format instead of a new format, do something that doesn't affect the integrity of the disk image you're trying to test! That's why I suggested using the header and changing the FOURCC.

Though, actually I think Loopy's suggestion to just use a new file extension is a much better idea than reusing .FDS and changing the header. Simply changing the extension to, say ".FDC" would solve the whole issue with no effort, and no "heuristic" workarounds.

...or if you just want CRCs use the .QD format since it already has them?

Last edited by rainwarrior on Tue May 02, 2017 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 3:22 pm 

"fds" stands for Famicom Disk System, though. You should know that I am against the continued use of copier extensions such as "smc", "swc", "fig", "gd3", "gd7", and all that, because they do not match the console's initials and do not clearly indicate which console the ROM is for. Especially "bin". Is this .bin file a Mega Drive ROM, a PlayStation disk image with a cue sheet, or something else entirely?

"qd" is similarly non-indicative. It just stands for "QuickDisk" and says nothing about which console or computer the disk image is for.

...but I'm just going to drop it. This discussion showed me why I usually don't bother trying to inspire positive changes. And I'm sensitive and don't take harsh words well. I was called "racist" once, and I near-permanently quit the board where that happened.

byuu was right. It's not worth it.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 3:25 pm 

So really your whole problem is that the only possible solution you can accept has to be named ".FDS"?

I would suggest that you're putting some aesthetic needs about 3 letters above the practical needs of a file format, and you might have an easier time of this if you adjusted that priority.

(And I'm not trying to insult you by suggesting this. I'm just trying to give you my perspective about a way to dissolve this problem.)

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 3:56 pm 

hex_usr wrote:
This discussion showed me why I usually don't bother trying to inspire positive changes.
This reminds me of that time where this rando came to the forum whining about how it's impossible to store Galaxian in .nes not as an overdump and that therefore we should clearly allocate a new mapper for only Galaxian that would have its own completely incompatible definition of what the size bytes mean in the header.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 5:08 pm 

hex_usr wrote:
"qd" is similarly non-indicative. It just stands for "QuickDisk" and says nothing about which console or computer the disk image is for.

Nor does .zip tell what system board MAME is supposed to emulate. In fact, there are a bunch of containers that are renamed zipfiles, such as .smzip (StepMania), .wsz (Winamp), .jar (Java Standard Edition), .apk (Android), .odt (LibreOffice), and .docx (Microsoft Word).

hex_usr wrote:
And I'm sensitive and don't take harsh words well. I was called "racist" once, and I near-permanently quit the board where that happened.

Sometimes I take a couple weeks off when I feel I've become less than wanted.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:26 pm 

The .FDS format is awful - it "saves" bytes by removing the CRC and '0' gaps between files, but requires to fill with "0"s until a size of 65500 is reached - cancelling all the file size "savings".

I think that this is unfortunate but we have to deal with it. Inventing new "formats" for FDS would only make things even worse. Also the way you (the OP) react when we point out that your idea isn't that great really shows a lack of maturity. It just happens to everyone - you get an idea and it happens that after all it wasn't a good idea. It's just normal and you need to admit it.

I'm not familiar with the .QD format (never seen it) but if it includes checksums it's great. The different file extension makes it clear it's different and no confusion is possible. Then use the .QD format. It being 65536 bytes instead of 65500 is meaningless, especially since actual disks are smaller than both of those sizes.