Action 53 volume 3

Moderator: Moderators

M_Tee

Re: Action 53 volume 3

Post by M_Tee »

I'm glad I'm not the only one that made that connection. I've been referencing the Barbarella comics for Cheril inspiration for the cover art. :)
tepples

Post by tepples »

Are we going to want a relatively plain title screen like the one we have, or is a better one possible with 208 tiles? (The other 48 are for the notices at the bottom.) And is "Revenge of the Twins" still the theme?
Attachments
Current title screen: 85 tiles
Current title screen: 85 tiles
title_screen.png (895 Bytes) Viewed 4871 times
M_Tee

Post by M_Tee »

For what it's worth, I like the simplicity of the title screen. However, as I work on the box art, if you'd like me to convert the logo and title from the box to a format suitable for the title screen, I'd be more than willing to.

As for the theme, I'll wait until it's absolutely confirmed before I work on the logo for the box. Still inking the illustration anyway.
mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt »

I like the title screen fine, though I'm not sure I like the VWF font that's being used (is that Verdana Bold?)
tepples

Post by tepples »

The font is Chicago 12, the iconic UI font of Macintosh System 1 through 7. I chose it because it works at that resolution without antialiasing, about which you complained earlier. For "Press Start Button" in the first two volumes, I used Droid Sans (now called Open Sans).
Myask

Post by Myask »

I'd've said "what Chrono Trigger (and/or FF6) use" … and it seems like only one other person has noted the similarity.
mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt »

tepples wrote:The font is Chicago 12, the iconic UI font of Macintosh System 1 through 7. I chose it because it works at that resolution without antialiasing, about which you complained earlier. For "Press Start Button" in the first two volumes, I used Droid Sans (now called Open Sans).
Fair. It looks clean and legibility is up. It might just stand out to me because I am so used to 8x8 fonts on the system.
cppchriscpp

Post by cppchriscpp »

I like the simple clean title we have personally... I certainly don't have the graphical skills to come up with anything better. (Have you seen what happens when I try to draw a duck? :D)

Also, I uploaded what might be the final version of Waddles to its own topic. I ran through it on the latest multicart (on powerpak, yay) and poked it a bit; everything seems stable. This is probably the last version unless I take the time to get rid of that pesky graphical glitch at level start. I can't stop seeing it now, but I'm having a seriously hard time finding what I'm doing outside vblank/forced blank. (Note: If that improving prior entries contest ever happens, I may tweak Waddles more for that. As it stands though, I need a long break from that codebase)

Tepples - would you be willing to turn off exit patching for Waddles now that I've added the "Exit to Menu" option? (It's actually a menu item now; no weird two-button shortcut)
tepples

Post by tepples »

Adding exitmethod=none to Waddles and updating to the latest build.

Probably the last thing before I declare the ROM final is whether to keep "Revenge of the Twins" as the subtitle. Does INL have any QA facility to ensure nothing else is seriously wrong?
infiniteneslives

Post by infiniteneslives »

tepples wrote:Does INL have any QA facility to ensure nothing else is seriously wrong?
IDK if I'd call my little operation a facility, but sure. :)

I've yet to migrate my action53 mapper implementation over to my 8Mbit+ 3v board version and update erase/program algorithms. I'll do my best to get this wrapped up this week.

Once that's taken care of, and with the rom nearing completion, it'll be time to whip up the first batch of boards.

Haven't heard back on the print quotes if I don't end up doing everything in house, I just pinged the print house again so hopefully can get that ball rolling asap.
If you're gonna play the Game Boy, you gotta learn to play it right. -Kenny Rogers
mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt »

M_Tee

Post by M_Tee »

M_Tee wrote:For what it's worth, I like the simplicity of the title screen. However, as I work on the box art, if you'd like me to convert the logo and title from the box to a format suitable for the title screen, I'd be more than willing to.
If you prefer it, here's a title screen that corresponds with the packaging design:
Because of its white background, I think +/- #10 fades to and from white and black would help the transitions, as shown above.

If you want to use it, the zipfile includes .chr, .pal, and NESst .nam with attribute table. Because the credits text is no longer color #02 against color #00, I just included it in the .chr. Wasn't sure about that.
Attachments
a53v3TitleScreen2.png
a53v3TitleScreen2.png (3.13 KiB) Viewed 4305 times
a53v3TitleScreen2.zip
(2 KiB) Downloaded 141 times
mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt »

That looks nice and clean. Maybe it's not very NES-like for the in-game art to match the box art :P
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Post by FrankenGraphics »

Loving that title screen!
tepples

Post by tepples »

All I really need to add a title screen are the PNG and the palette. and added it to a53games.cfg.

Code: Select all

titlescreen=../tilesets/title_screen_a53vol3.png
titlepalette=20273C3820271C3820153C0020393C0C
Here's what it looks like on a TV:
a53vol3_new_title.jpg
It wouldn't be that easy to do the fade to white. Currently once the title jingle finishes its sixth loop, it cuts to a blank (now white) screen while the voice sample plays, and it'd be painful to interleave 100% CPU for the audio playback with PPU access for the fadeout. But I could probably add a fade-in and fade-out to the menu screen. I don't want to do anything too fancy because there are complaints that it doesn't look very attractive in the first place.