Bart vs. The Space Mutants was underrated.

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

nesrocks

Re: Bart vs. The Space Mutants was underrated.

Post by nesrocks »

Only when rewatching the first season recently (with audio in english) I realized how many sound clips are taken directly from the cartoon and inserted on the arcade game (there are many). Now I would assume it was the case with the NES game too. But back then I didn't need to recognize that, it was enough that it was a simpsons game to get me hooked. You kids were spoiled to play games that had text you could understand. Not only did I not know that 'eat my shorts' was a catchphrase, I didn't even know what those words meant.

Yes, I'm from Rio too.
https://twitter.com/bitinkstudios <- Follow me on twitter! Thanks!
https://www.patreon.com/bitinkstudios <- Support me on Patreon!
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

nesrocks wrote:You kids were spoiled to play games that had text you could understand.
I remember playing point-and-click adventures such as Day of the Tentacle without understanding a word of english, based purely on trial and error, and somehow still loving the game!
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Same. Well, DOTT was late enough that I was beginning to get it, but it would probably not be far off to say that I actually learned my first bits of English from Monkey Island.
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

You fight like a dairy farmer.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
nesrocks

Post by nesrocks »

I did a quick test here about that idle pose.

Last edited by nesrocks on Thu May 04, 2017 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
https://twitter.com/bitinkstudios <- Follow me on twitter! Thanks!
https://www.patreon.com/bitinkstudios <- Support me on Patreon!
MottZilla

Post by MottZilla »

I agree that the game often is panned as just another bad licensed game. But if you put some effort into the game it's actually quite playable and not a bad game. There's certainly far worse released for the NES. I think the high difficulty and lack of any easy mode tends to turn many players off. Maybe people expected it should be an easier game.
Rahsennor

Post by Rahsennor »

Dwedit wrote:You fight like a dairy farmer.
How appropriate, you fight like a cow!
Macbee

Post by Macbee »

Love this game. I've finished it a gazillion times and I explored it so much that I found many of the "mystery items" by myself back in the early 90s.
It's silly but until very recently I used to dream that I've found completely new secret stages on this game (these dreams finally stopped after reading about all existing secrets on TCRF).
tokumaru wrote: Ah man, Bart's voice from season 1 brings back so many memories! Bart's had so many voices in portuguese that I had totally forgotten​ about the very first one. Such a contrast from the original voice acting, that sounds pretty much the same to this day!
In fact only 2 actors played Bart in Brazil: Peterson Adriano and Rodrigo Antas.
A good number since we already had 3 Homers, 3 Lisas and 4 Marges since the show started here, back in 1991.
Fisher

Post by Fisher »

tokumaru wrote:I remember playing point-and-click adventures
I remember I've played Full Throttle back in the day!!
I didn't had much access to PCs at the time, but I just loved that game too!!

Nesrocks: Nice to find more brazilians here!!
I say the same to Macbee! :-)
Is my theory about Bart's nose correct, or not so??
DementedPurple

Post by DementedPurple »

Fisher wrote: Here's a pic of the lot, just try to guess wich is the Simpsons cart:
16602875_1258472724259660_8716528830958869713_n.jpg
Speaking of which, I wonder why Brazil is so big on piracy. I can understand why China is, because they used to be a communist country and they had a ban on video game consoles up until 2014. But I don't know what's up with Brazil, does it have a ban on imports or something? If so, I don't know why they couldn't have a Brazilian company sell their systems like they did in Korea.
Revenant

Post by Revenant »

From what I understand, importing goods into Brazil tends to be prohibitively expensive.
tepples

Post by tepples »

A Brazilian company would still need to import the integrated circuits, and the import duty would be added to that. My first guess is that Brazil has adopted a policy of import substitution industrialization, which places prohibitive tariffs on imported goods as an incentive to foreign companies to instead, for example, set up a chip fab in Brazil to serve the Brazilian market.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

Brazil was under a military dictatorship until the early 80's, and I believe that had a great impact on the importing of merchandise. Even to this day, import taxes are extremely high, presumably to boost the national industry.

From what I've heard, companies were in fact trying to make deals with Nintendo to officially release the NES here, but Nintendo was very hard to please and they couldn't reach an agreement for several years. In the meantime, several companies decided to make money off clone systems. The technology was still quite new back then, so I don't think there were many laws preventing companies from selling counterfeit cartridges either.

The Atari 2600 was officially released here, so clones of that system weren't as abundant, but the cartridges were so easy to copy that I and almost everyone I knew only had pirate cartridges. But with the NES there was just no option, few people would import an NES privately when even renowned hardware manufacturers were releasing their own clone systems, such as Gradiente's Phantom system or CCE's Turbo Game. Most people saw these as legitimate products, AFAIK.
Fisher

Post by Fisher »

tepples wrote:set up a chip fab in Brazil to serve the Brazilian market
I don't have a big knowledge of the case, but I think you're right.
Maybe to cut costs some manufacturers agreed to share resources.
This would explain the Megadrive joysticks and the MasterSystem lightgun on the Gradiente's console.
tokumaru wrote:import taxes are extremely high
I really don't understand much of these taxes politics... Isn't the Laffer curve a valid and known concept in our country?
tokumaru wrote: Most people saw these as legitimate products, AFAIK.
Yes, I think these clones were taken as legitimte consoler here back in the day.
As long as the companies payed the taxes, our law woudn't bug them.
DementedPurple

Post by DementedPurple »

Speaking of stuff being imported to other countries, in Korea, they had a ban on imports from Japan, so in order for Japanese companies like Sega to sell their consoles in Korea, they gave Samsung the right to sell their consoles, which lead to a SMS clone called "The Gam Boy" :roll: Totally original guys!Image