Vigilante Ninja (edit)

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

dougeff

Re: Vigilante Ninja (edit)

Post by dougeff »

It's actually 99.9% finished. I want to revise the graphics a little, and tweek the difficulty of the bosses.

I might make the platforms on level 5 a little less insanely difficult. Maybe.

I'm planning for a VERY limited release. Pretty much, if you don't contact me directly, and tell me you want one, you probably won't be able to get a copy.

Since you already told me (just now) that you want one, 8bitMicroGuy, I'll reserve you a copy.
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES
8bitMicroGuy

Post by 8bitMicroGuy »

dougeff wrote:It's actually 99.9% finished. I want to revise the graphics a little, and tweek the difficulty of the bosses.

I might make the platforms on level 5 a little less insanely difficult. Maybe.

I'm planning for a VERY limited release. Pretty much, if you don't contact me directly, and tell me you want one, you probably won't be able to get a copy.

Since you already told me (just now) that you want one, 8bitMicroGuy, I'll reserve you a copy.
Yay! Thank you!
Also, I see that the hearts and the weapon in the HUD have an ugly pallette. If you could place nice colorful sprites over them, that would be cool and you could make it look like it has 7 colors: 1 background, 3 from background and 3 from sprites! There's 6 hearts that are 8x8 and there's a 16x16 weapon which is exactly 8 sprites per scanline. If you program the drawing routine to draw those 10 sprites, that would be very cool. I'm just not sure if you have enough room in the code and the CHR ROM and the OAM to place all that.
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

I don't have any free sprites.

The core game code was programmed before I knew what I wad doing. I had to do some ugly hacks to get enemies bigger than my hardcoded 16x16 design to work. There will be no code changes, other than slight tweeks of hitboxes, or slight tweeks of timed code (sprite zero).

The main fixed bank has...I think 17 bytes free. So. No changes.

...actually, that's an exaggeration. I have 2 unused banks ($4000 bytes total) free. I could swap banks and put more code there. But, I don't want to.
8bitMicroGuy

Post by 8bitMicroGuy »

Alright. I'm waiting for the moment to get this game. When I do, I'll make a Let's Play of it when I get the time.
tepples

Post by tepples »

dougeff wrote:I'm planning for a VERY limited release. Pretty much, if you don't contact me directly, and tell me you want one, you probably won't be able to get a copy.
Does this also mean no Internet release of the final product? Or does "VERY limited release" apply only to the cartridge release?
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

I want to see if there's any interest in the cartridge, before I decide on how to release it. There's probably a good reason the Battle Kid isn't available free. I'm going with the same assumptions.

There is a free demo of some of the levels.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

Any plans for a soundtrack release? (NSF and/or bandcamp?)
8bitMicroGuy

Post by 8bitMicroGuy »

dougeff wrote:I want to see if there's any interest in the cartridge, before I decide on how to release it. There's probably a good reason the Battle Kid isn't available free. I'm going with the same assumptions.

There is a free demo of some of the levels.
If you're going to sell cartridges, maybe you should start a Kickstarter campaign for your game so that you get enough money to run the production of the cartridges. Unfortunately, I don't have an NES so I cannot play a cartridge, but I'd loyally keep the ROM for myself if the game is not free just like how I keep the DRM-free version of Freedom Planet only to myself. I'm not a seeder or a pirate. If you want, you can send me a version of the ROM tha has a subroutine that renders "LICENSED TO 8BITMICROGUY" on the screen in the main menu, in the loading screen and on top of the HUD during gameplay. You can make a checksum checker to cause the game not play if the text is hacked. Also, keep in mind that this is just one of my online usernames. The other one is Zvoc47.
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

No. I meant you can buy one, if you want. I don't plan to make personalized versions.

Anyway, there will probably be a kickstarter for the other game I'm working on...which is not my call, since I'm not in charge of that project.
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

Any plans for a soundtrack release? (NSF and/or bandcamp?)
That's up to estlib. They're his songs. I thought he was going to post them somewhere, but I don't think he has.

Edit, correction...
He did post one song...

https://m.soundcloud.com/estlib/vigilan ... heme-dread
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Depending on the costs (these usually aren't cheap to produce), I'd be up for a cartrdige.
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

The game is now 100% done...with only some final play testing remaining, before I order cartridges.
M_Tee

Post by M_Tee »

I hadn't really heard the music before (didn't have speakers hooked up to my work station for a very long time and didn't check the ROM out again after getting them hooked up).
Estlib's tracks, especially the one you linked, are all great. Thanks for sharing it.
8bitMicroGuy

Post by 8bitMicroGuy »

How much would a ROM cost? I would like to buy the game.
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

I have to crunch some numbers, see how much it costs to print a booklet / label. It will be similar to the homebrew prices at RetroUSB, plus shipping. I don't think there will be a box, but if so...a little more cost.