Help getting famiclone multicart dump working

Discuss hardware-related topics, such as development cartridges, CopyNES, PowerPak, EPROMs, or whatever.

Moderator: Moderators

zyrobs

Help getting famiclone multicart dump working

Post by zyrobs »

Hi, I have an old Famiclone labelled as "LEVIS", or Mastergames. It is one of those SNES-style shells like the better known Super Com 72. It looks like a fully built PAL NES on the inside - seems to have the full hardware inside. It apparently works with stock PAL carts. We purchased one around 1992.

It has 255 games built in, on what looks like a standard 60 pin cart, soldered onto an unused cartridge slot inside the machine. Obviously it has far less games, something like 20 or 30, multiplied by making the games start at different levels or with different powerups or difficulty. So you get classics like Fiery Adventure Island 8 or Easy Road Fighter.

A bog standard famiclone in other words, but the machine holds sentimental value to me. I had the machine lost a long time ago, but I was lucky enough to find a matching unit on the market a few weeks back. It has the same type of 255-in-1 games, even the game order matches what I remember. More importantly it isn't a glop top but uses actual DIP chips, so I can dump the ROMs with my modest setup.

The cart inside the machine has a bunch of 74s (two 74174s, a 74153, and a 7402), and two ROM chips, which I dumped as 27c040s (512kbyte). One is the PRG ROM, and the other is the CHR one. If I open up the roms in a hex editor or a tile editor, I can clearly see the text and graphics that the games inside use. Based on the text inside, it seems the menu system supported more games originally, and has a setup for handling prefixes with the game names.

Anyway, I tried getting the dump working in an emulator, but I didn't have any luck. I most likely miss the correct mapper in the iNES header. The most I could do was to offset the PRG rom by 4000h so the menu program is at the beginning of the rom, set up the correct PRG and CHR sizes (20h and 40h), and set byte 6 and 7 to 30E0 (taken from a similar multicart dump, 1200-in-1 (J) [p1].nes). That way at least the menu works, but every graphic is garbled and most games don't work. Two games manage to boot that way (Wild Gunman and Tank), of course with totally broken graphics, but it is enough to confirm that the menu is at least there. Most games just warp back to the menu.

I've attached the two rom dumps. How do I get this dump working? I'm not familiar with NES mappers.

Pictures of the console and the hardware inside:

Attachments
x2 chr 27c040.zip
(218.88 KiB) Downloaded 275 times
x1 prg 27c040.zip
(326.5 KiB) Downloaded 272 times
krzysiobal

Re: Help getting famiclone multicart dump working

Post by krzysiobal »

Desolder all chips and post photo of front side of pcb with them removed.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

With the two '174s, we can be confident there's 12 total bits of latched state.

With the '153, it's almost certainly wired such that half controls H/V mirroring and the other half selects between 16K/32K PRG

So the only question is what is the 74'02 doing there. Part of it is probably selecting when to load the latches, but I don't know beyond that.

If you've still got the ROMs out, just a picture of the front and back of the PCB without the ROMs should be sufficient to deduce what's going on; you shouldn't need to also remove the 74xxx parts.
zxbdragon

Post by zxbdragon »

20170508164402.png

Code: Select all

static void K3010Sync(void) {
	if (prg & 0x01)
		setprg32(0x8000, (prg >> 2));
	else
	{

setprg16(0x8000, (prg >> 1));
		setprg16(0xC000, (prg >> 1));
	}
	setchr8(chr >> 1);
	setmirror((chr)& 0x01);
}

static DECLFW(K3010Write) {

prg = A;
	chr = V;
	K3010Sync();
}

static void K3010Power(void) {
	prg = 0;
	chr = 0;
	K3010Sync();
	SetWriteHandler(0x8000, 0xFFFF, K3010Write);
	SetReadHandler(0x8000, 0xFFFF, CartBR);
}

static void K3010Reset(void) {
	prg = 0;
	mode = 0;
	K3010Sync();
}

void K3010_Init(CartInfo *info) {
	info->Reset = K3010Reset;
	info->Power = K3010Power;
	GameStateRestore = StateRestore;
	AddExState(&StateRegs, ~0, 0, 0);
}
try.....

https://pan.baidu.com/s/1boG8bbp
password:6dsy
zyrobs

Post by zyrobs »

zxbdragon wrote:try.....

This works, but has glitches, some of the games have graphics corrupted (Tetris title screen, Adventure Island halfway to stage 1), some games are completely garbled and unplayable (Mappy, Bomberman).

I don't know of these are emulation issues, or if the dump is bad? Setting different region or ppu type in FCEUX did not make a difference. It works the best in Dendy mode though.
I'll redump the roms later tonight, to rule out that possibility.

lidnariq wrote:If you've still got the ROMs out, just a picture of the front and back of the PCB without the ROMs should be sufficient to deduce what's going on; you shouldn't need to also remove the 74xxx parts.
zxbdragon

Post by zxbdragon »

zyrobs wrote:
zxbdragon wrote:try.....

This works, but has glitches, some of the games have graphics corrupted (Tetris title screen, Adventure Island halfway to stage 1), some games are completely garbled and unplayable (Mappy, Bomberman).

I don't know of these are emulation issues, or if the dump is bad? Setting different region or ppu type in FCEUX did not make a difference. It works the best in Dendy mode though.
I'll redump the roms later tonight, to rule out that possibility.

lidnariq wrote:If you've still got the ROMs out, just a picture of the front and back of the PCB without the ROMs should be sufficient to deduce what's going on; you shouldn't need to also remove the 74xxx parts.

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMjc1MjQ3MDIwMA==.html

makeunif bug,mirr not make.
Attachments
255-in-1 (Unl,K-3010).7z
(382.38 KiB) Downloaded 276 times
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

zyrobs wrote:s12.postimg.org/xbe9mppah/cropped_IMG_2504.jpg
Back of PCB also?
zyrobs

Post by zyrobs »

lidnariq wrote:Back of PCB also?
My initial post has it.
zxbdragon wrote:http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMjc1MjQ3MDIwMA==.html

makeunif bug,mirr not make.
Thank you, that video shows everything working, but with the updated rom you uploaded, some other games are broken now - Sky Destroyer and Exerion have buggy graphics, Tank and Ice Climber seems to be unplayable.

On that video everything seems to be fine though. Bug in FCEUX?
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

zyrobs wrote:My initial post has it.
Oh, so it does. Sorry!
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

Analyzing the PCB pictures, I basically exactly agree with zxbdragon's implementation.

In the convention we've been using on the wiki:
A~[1... .... ..PP PPpO] D~[..CC CCCM]
All twelve bits are cleared on hard or soft reset
When O=0, PPPPp sets 16K in both $8000 and $C000
When O=1, PPPP sets 32K at $8000
CCCCC sets 8K for PPU $0000
When M=0, CIRAMA10 = PPU A10, horizontal layout/vertical mirroring
When M=1, CIRAMA10 = PPU A11, vertical layout/horizontal mirroring

No bus conflicts.
zxbdragon

Post by zxbdragon »

try unf FFFF4D4952520100000001--FFFF4D4952520100000005
nesrocks

Post by nesrocks »

I always wanted the rom of the 110 in 1 version of this multicart to work. I don't know why, some would argue it is useless, but it feels nostalgic to me to play that game selection from that menu.
I don't know if it is a bad dump or an emulator incompatibility. In theory punes should run most things.
https://twitter.com/bitinkstudios <- Follow me on twitter! Thanks!
https://www.patreon.com/bitinkstudios <- Support me on Patreon!
zxbdragon

Post by zxbdragon »

nesrocks wrote:I always wanted the rom of the 110 in 1 version of this multicart to work. I don't know why, some would argue it is useless, but it feels nostalgic to me to play that game selection from that menu.
I don't know if it is a bad dump or an emulator incompatibility. In theory punes should run most things.

this rom is good dump
like my dump k-3014a

dump status complete,prg ok,chr over dump.
krzysiobal

Post by krzysiobal »