2016 NESDev Compo - Guidelines/Rules

Moderator: Moderators

gauauu

Re: 2016 NESDev Compo - Guidelines/Rules

Post by gauauu »

tepples wrote:Should I keep quiet until I have fixed all four of these?
No way, your updates give me something to read while I should be working :)
Attribute corruption in Rock Paper Scissors Lizard Sbock and Spacey McRacey. I'm not sure if I overestimated how many zeroes at the end are unused or if they actually have problems with uninitialized memory.
Yeah, I noticed this. I'm not sure the answer (haven't had time to look carefully), but I'm guessing for Spacey McRacey, it's more related to uninitialized memory. I don't think there's any reason chopping zeroes at the end would cause the attribute corruption.
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

Rock Paper Scissors
Which build? 5 ? Probably didn't zero all tables. The original is non-scrolling, so I probably only zeroed one table, or maybe I forgot altogether. It was rushed.
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES
NESHomebrew
Formerly WhatULive4

Post by NESHomebrew »

na_th_an wrote:I have older / unreleased material if you want to fill up free space, by the way.
Well if we have officially doubled the space, then post what you've got, or send it to Tepples directly and we'll see what we have room for. I see no reason to exclude things if we still have space.
na_th_an

Post by na_th_an »

I always have experiments I can quickly tune into little games. Let me see :)
na_th_an

Post by na_th_an »

(probably silly) question: Will the ROMs at the compo site will be updated with the latest versions, or will they be substituted for the multicart download?

I'm asking 'cause some entries have been improved, most changed, and some even bug fixed.
tepples

Post by tepples »

There's a big 'revised' folder in my Action 53 volume 3 project folder that I could zip and upload here once the cart goes gold.
NESHomebrew
Formerly WhatULive4

Post by NESHomebrew »

I'm
na_th_an wrote:(probably silly) question: Will the ROMs at the compo site will be updated with the latest versions, or will they be substituted for the multicart download?

I'm asking 'cause some entries have been improved, most changed, and some even bug fixed.
In the past I didn't update any of the entries, but if tepples does upload all the final versions that will be on the Cart, I would be happy to put a disclaimer at the beginning of the compo page and link to the latest download.
Myask

Post by Myask »

In the past I didn't update any of the entries, but if tepples does upload all the final versions that will be on the Cart, I would be happy to put a disclaimer at the beginning of the compo page and link to the latest download.
Supplement, not replace, please.
na_th_an

Post by na_th_an »

My ream concern is that one of my games can't really be finished, that's all :-)
NESHomebrew
Formerly WhatULive4

Post by NESHomebrew »

na_th_an wrote:My ream concern is that one of my games can't really be finished, that's all :-)
In that case I could make an exception and change the main download. Maybe not change it, but just add it (also maintaining the original version).
tepples

Post by tepples »

VEG wrote:Is it possible to add this one to the Category 2 (the non-contest category)? =)
Good luck getting permission from Alex North's music publisher for that tune. Rainwarrior might have the best idea of how to approach this after having done MOON8.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

My approach for MOON8 was to pretend it's covered by mechanical royalties and pay them as such.

YMMV, but probably I would have had the same result (i.e. nothing) if I had not paid royalties at all. At least I can say it "felt" more legal.
Myask

Post by Myask »

Rahsennor wrote:Jupiter Scope 2 and CYO both looked, sounded and felt great, but the gameplay was a complete letdown. Maybe I've played too much Touhou.
…"CYO"? I don't see that anywhere.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Cover Your Own is a hypertext viewer that I developed for Hagen's Alley Books back in February to port gamebooks to the NES. One was shown at Midwest Gaming Classic 2017, if I remember correctly. That's why I asked a month ago if anyone knew of suitable gamebooks: I've been given the OK to release Cover Your Own to the public, and I wanted something to test with, possibly to fill unused space in Action 53 volume 3.

EDIT: Oh, you're talking about that CYO, the one that was withdrawn.
Myask

Post by Myask »

Hmm. Well, it's not in that "archive". Archive.org's copy isn't old enough, either. Don't suppose anyone has a copy I could have?