Your thoughts on destroying a working arcade machine?

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

DementedPurple

Re: Your thoughts on destroying a working arcade machine?

Post by DementedPurple »

GradualGames wrote: :lol: Like...people making obscene amounts of ad revenue on Youtube by...destroying things? Effed up. How the hell does this guy have 4m subscribers? I don't have words.
Because this is 2017. I'm pretty sure that's what old people thought of the Angry Video Game Nerd back in 2006. "How does this guy get so much money from playing Video Games? Our society is going down the drain!"
Punch

Post by Punch »

Oh yeah, that thing that started when you were 2 years old at most? :lol:
Pretty much no one ever said any kind of variation on what you just wrote. Playing games, totally like destroying a 1980s cultural icon with low number of preserved units to promote a mobile app, yep.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
pubby

Post by pubby »

I don't think AVGN made much money off his videos until a few years later. Actually, I don't think he makes very much money now. Most of his collection was bought back when retro games were cheap. Nowadays their price has skyrocketed.

In 2006, the big fad was to wait in line for an XBox 360 to smash in the parking lot. 12 year old me found this hilarious.
DementedPurple

Post by DementedPurple »

Punch wrote:Oh yeah, that thing that started when you were 2 years old at most? :lol:
Pretty much no one ever said any kind of variation on what you just wrote. Playing games, totally like destroying a 1980s cultural icon with low number of preserved units to promote a mobile app, yep.
I was only joking, of course I'm disturbed by the fact that they can get away with this! (Not the AVGN) My parents grew up in a small town. Since it was a small town, they could work for anyone in their town because they knew everybody. They would work for quarters and then bike down to the 7-11 to play Pac-Man, as a matter of fact, that's how they met! So the fact that this game is what brought my parents together only to see it destroyed only makes it that much more painful to watch.
DementedPurple

Post by DementedPurple »

Speaking of which, these MAME machines are totally illegal, How would I go about reporting them? They're being sold everywhere. What should I do? Should I just ignore it?
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I find this kind of stuff completely disgusting. I don't mind taking apart a classic cabinet for parts, but stuff like running a hammer through a well functioning arcade monitor really pisses me off. These things aren't being produced anymore and are getting harder and harder to come by. There are people out there who can't afford arcade machines, and would LOVE to have an original Pac-Man cabinet in their home. In the end they probably made more money this way than they would have by selling it, but that hardly justifies anything.

I recently sold my old wood cabinet, and one of my requirements for the buyer was that they kept the CRT monitor intact and wouldn't ever consider replacing it for an LCD or similar. I know it's ridiculously idealistic of me, but in the end a friend of mine bought it, and he loves it for what it is, which makes me happy.
nicklausw

Post by nicklausw »

Didn't Mao Zedong make China basically destroy everything that showed the existence of any culture before he showed up and changed up the place? Maybe this is just modern people doing that to themselves subconsciously. I can't wait to see the videos of "watch me burn old original family photos from the attic". Now that, I'd watch.
In 2006, the big fad was to wait in line for an XBox 360 to smash in the parking lot. 12 year old me found this hilarious.
Same with 6-year-old me, but I saw anything as funny if the person showing it to me was laughing hard enough (@ my brother). Still do.
Erockbrox

Post by Erockbrox »

I think its one thing to destroy something new that is being currently manufactured, but to destroy something that is vintage that's another thing.

I could easily see the guy making such videos as:

Let's see what's inside a T-Rex skeleton from millions of years ago. Takes a hammer to it.

Let's see what's inside the Declaration of Independence. Cuts it with scissors.

Let's see what's inside the Rosetta Stone. Drops it off a building.

Let's see what's inside the Mona Lisa. Starts rubbing off the paint with paint thinner.

Let's see what's inside the Egyptian Pyramids. Blows it up with a nuke.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

I don't think the adsense revenue from the views on such videos would cover the cost of purchasing those items, Erockbrox. ;P There are some very real reasons this isn't subject to such a kantian escalation to the extreme case.

You can easily find a Pac-Man for under $1000, I think. I'm sure there's many thousands of working Pac-Man machines in existence at the moment. (One of the most successful arcade games in history.)

I'd never want to destroy something like this, myself, but I can't say that I haven't wasted $1000 worth of something that probably someone else would value and would prefer I'd kept.
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

rainwarrior wrote:I don't think the adsense revenue from the views on such videos would cover the cost of purchasing those items, Erockbrox. ;P
Would it for this? I thought YouTubers who weren't PewDiePie only got pocket change, or at least that's what they act like.

Regardless, I still think this guy's an asshole. Only thing I can say is at least he didn't destroy the PCB. If he does this to an Irem game, he'd better hope he doesn't live anywhere near Nacogdoches. :lol:
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

Espozo wrote:Would it for this?
Yes, I think the over a million views it has would cover it, plus whatever he makes from other merchandise (someone mentioned advertising for an app?) as a bonus.
DementedPurple

Post by DementedPurple »

You know what else is funny, he said that the operators guide was cool and that he should keep it. Do you know what was inside that operators guide? How to open the machine without using a chainsaw! I guess people now days will do pretty much anything as long as they'll get views.
Fisher

Post by Fisher »

Unfortunatelly, that's the society we're living...
Videos like a guy bathing in Nutella or in instant noodles get lots of views, even if these things would be better used if were eaten, specially by hungry people.
Heck, there's even a guy who do junk videos with a toy similar to slime and other who had cut his 100k Youtube board and got tons of views!!
For many people, what matters is the spotlight and nothing else!
I really don't like o see these things being made, but I just don't care that much.
In the end it's their money who's being wasted.
GradualGames

Post by GradualGames »

Erockbrox wrote:I think its one thing to destroy something new that is being currently manufactured, but to destroy something that is vintage that's another thing.

I could easily see the guy making such videos as:

Let's see what's inside a T-Rex skeleton from millions of years ago. Takes a hammer to it.

Let's see what's inside the Declaration of Independence. Cuts it with scissors.

Let's see what's inside the Rosetta Stone. Drops it off a building.

Let's see what's inside the Mona Lisa. Starts rubbing off the paint with paint thinner.

Let's see what's inside the Egyptian Pyramids. Blows it up with a nuke.
He should join this guy then. Haha

I agree though. I LOVE watching iphones get destroyed in multifarious ways, such as being run over by a tank for instance. But old, precious stuff that will never be back? That were not manufactured by thousands of depressed, suicidal corporate slaves? I really don't like it.
Drag

Post by Drag »

I wonder how many people have made brand new Pacman PCBs (for example), given the current tend of people remaking the C64 and ZX Spectrum.