It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:02 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 9:42 am 

NewRisingSun wrote:
The opposite is the case: The "CNROM version" is just a mapper hack of the TCU-02 version.

So, if the only actual Taiwanese Joy Van release of Weilaixiaozi appears to be using the TCU-02, and the mapper hack is unofficial, I guess the "GS63030-A" chips on Pongba's post represents the actual IC. Joy Van's Mahjong Trap also appears to be using the GS63030-A IC as well, but the current and ONLY dump is using CNROM and thus likely (I haven't exactly checked yet) a mapper hack.
viewtopic.php?t=2909

We REALLY need to organize our dumps, or else crap like this gets lost forever in a swarm of loose .NES files screaming "hacks, hacks, hacks. NESTIIICCCCLLEEEE!!!! copiers, copiers, hacks, hacks, hacks.".

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 10:06 am 

kazblox wrote:
Joy Van's Mahjong Trap also appears to be using the GS63030-A IC as well, but the current and ONLY dump is using CNROM and thus likely (I haven't exactly checked yet) a mapper hack.
Confirmed. It starts off by writing to $4101, but then only writes to $8000-$FFFF, followed by RTS and some leftover garbage that looks similar to Mapper 136 code in Diebian. I suppose I could try to "unhack" it, but I won't, lest I would contribute to more hacks flying around.
kazblox wrote:
We REALLY need to organize our dumps,
Theoretically, GoodNES would be the candidate here. Unfortunately it's so badly maintained that it's beyond useless except as a search term for torrents.

So, anyone still in contact with pongbashi?

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 10:15 am 

NewRisingSun wrote:
Unfortunately it's so badly maintained that it's beyond useless except as a search term for torrents.

And this is why I'm adding on to the Sachen stuff in the MAME softlist in private until I'm assured that the dumps are at least good and directly come from the actual ROM chips, or a Kazzo board.

MAME also does a horrible job at documenting Sachen stuff, considering that most of the knowledge in that area derives from GoodNES, but I'm planning to fix a big chunk of that. ;)

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 11:07 am 

OK, my friend has an original Mahjong Trap cart and a Kazzo, yay! :D

If someone could write Kazzo scripts for all variants of the ASIC described in this thread, that would be great. Currently, I'm at an outing for a few hours, so I won't be able to do much.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 11:53 am 

I have modified the CNROM dumping script for Mapper 136 (rename extension to .ad). Since I have no Kazzo, I cannot try it; just tell me if it does not work with Mahjong Trap. Mapper136 is the simple version, which should be enough according to my understanding of the IC, otherwise Mapper136a initializes all four registers.

Attachments:
Mapper136a.txt [615 Bytes]
Downloaded 34 times
mapper136.txt [477 Bytes]
Downloaded 30 times

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 2:12 pm 

kazblox wrote:
Here you go:

The rest of the PCB's he has of some Sachen stuff is on his flickr page, including Rocman X (which seems to be wired up to a weird CHR ROM and CHR RAM variant, despite not showing any instance of Chinese text boxes in the game at all?)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/153392699 ... 2682439086

Needs PPU-accessible RAM to map four nametables. I keep reading that it's one of those that do, but now that we've got someone with the board handy, we should make sure…

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 4:53 pm 

Myask wrote:
[Sachen's Rocman X] Needs PPU-accessible RAM to map four nametables. I keep reading that it's one of those that do, but now that we've got someone with the board handy, we should make sure…
The PCB pictures are good enough to successfully trace the 6264's /CE pin to the NOT PPU A13 signal on the card edge, so that's something.