Pixel artist looking for partner

A place for your artistic side. Discuss techniques and tools for pixel art on the NES, GBC, or similar platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

M_Tee

Re: Pixel artist looking for partner

Post by M_Tee »

Zolionline wrote:It's a me again :P

[CASE CLOSED][/color] I found someone, thanks for your letters! I really hope it will work out!
I'm glad to hear that. I hope you post your work as it progresses. Would love to see whatever project you end up working on.
Zolionline

Post by Zolionline »

Some update after the long months.

Since nobody liked the dwarf character - I really don't know what's wrong with it -, I made a new hero to the same base.
Attachments
hero2.png
hero2.png (1.94 KiB) Viewed 16152 times
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

That's pretty good! Lots of color and details for such severe restrictions!
Rahsennor

Post by Rahsennor »

I keep looking at it and going "there's no way that's only three colors... one, two, three... huh." That's a sure sign of some masterful pixelwork.
M_Tee

Post by M_Tee »

The new character is very well-drawn (strong silhouette good color contrast, easily trackable elements to assist in animation). However, I much prefer the dwarf. He looks less like a protagonist is expected to look than your new character which looks much more "typical" for a main character. Regardless, please keep posting progress. Your work is too good not to share!
nesrocks

Post by nesrocks »

I like both (had never seen this thread). The only problem I see with the dwarf is that both the orange and the green colors have a very similar level. I think it would look better if one was darker than the other.
https://twitter.com/bitinkstudios <- Follow me on twitter! Thanks!
https://www.patreon.com/bitinkstudios <- Support me on Patreon!
Zolionline

Post by Zolionline »

Thanks for the appreciation! Originally I liked the idea of a dwarven thief better, because it was a bad protagonist, rude, greedy, who mocks the bosses. But I wanted to make a game and none of the programmers liked it. Anyway, I have all the animations for the dwarf (removed the bag in the final form), if I ever succeed to find someone to make the game, maybe he can have some "cameo" in it, or some role - but I know that changing characters is a bit hard on NES. We'll see. Now I have some free time during the summer, I want to work on the idea.
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Post by FrankenGraphics »

I'm seconding what everyone else already said, you've got skill getting a lot "character" out of the harsh limitations.
Regarding the dwarf/elf boy decision, i think the dwarf may have been a bit more original, but at the same time, you've managed to make the most out of the latter. It is very expressive; more so compared to similar designs. I'm honestly a bit envious of how you manage to make those few pixels so expressive :mrgreen: All in all, great work!

I only see one area where i'd be able to make suggestions, if you want critique. The red and blue does clash a bit and can be hard to the eye when next to each other. This is unavoidable with the current subpalette (which i think is wisely chosen to enhance the expressiveness), but it can be mitigated a bit in the portrait at least by lightly reworking the shadows/depth a bit. I made an example partly as an excercise for myself, and partly to demonstrate, but i'll wait posting so you can chime in on whether you'd like to see it or not.
Zolionline

Post by Zolionline »

Frankengraphics: I'm open to any criticism, honestly I still modify my images here and there. Just one thing: let me keep your suggestions if I like them :)
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

That sounds very reasonable! Here's the suggestion. To help comparison: I've added black outlines to parts of feather, brim, and ear, and added a quick curl of hair behind the ear.
Attachments
hero2.png
hero2.png (1.29 KiB) Viewed 16009 times
Zolionline

Post by Zolionline »

Ah, now I understand, sorry I doesn't speak the language with such fluidity :) I like the outcome, I will modify the portrait, thanks for pointing at the problem! :)
Zolionline

Post by Zolionline »

Some mockup I made from the parts of a level. It's a bit thronged, but I wanted to show some key elements.
Attachments
sample.png
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

I'm really loving the goat/baphomet-like creature! Perfect mix of frightening and cute. Edit: And the face in the wall
Zolionline

Post by Zolionline »

I'm struggling with the background. I can not decide if I should use:

a) black background with some minor but vital background elements (like a big fountain or monument) used only one. Like in Metroid, and leave the other space to ground type tiles and make them more diverse.

b) use some background everywhere I can with more repetitive patterns. (like in the later 80's). I attached something I made.
Attachments
background.png
background.png (6.31 KiB) Viewed 15620 times
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

If there was a struggle, i don't see signs of it. It looks great! Top of the class.

The shading of the "triangles" (excuse my lack of vocabulary :oops: ) look a bit contradicting to what i was expecting, but it still works nicely.