Future of Nintendo?

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Re: Future of Nintendo?

Post by FrankenGraphics »

The one instance you're glad for its short life spanned battery
tepples

Post by tepples »

psycopathicteen wrote:Why can't game systems run games just by turning the game system on?
Because it doesn't know which purchased, downloaded game you want to play until you select one. And because concerned parents have in the past sued a console maker for triggering seizures, RSI, or television damage.
Add to the fact that HDTVs take longer to turn on, and you have to go through a bunch of inputs to get to the game system.
Would you rather only have the ability to connect one console to the TV at once?
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

But it could perhaps have a setting to autostart a physical medium if inserted upon power-on. That'd be neat.
DementedPurple

Post by DementedPurple »

FrankenGraphics wrote:But it could perhaps have a setting to autostart a physical medium if inserted upon power-on. That'd be neat.
But then there would be problems. You would have to eject the disk to get the downloaded games, but you can't eject the disk without turning off the entire system unless they didn't have the slot that sucks your disk inside and instead had a tray that popped open like the one on the PlayStation, but then they would be harder to fit on shelves. They are probably designed with the disk slot on the front so that you can stack the console on top of other things you might need by the TV, like a DVD player or cable box. If it had the slot on top, you wouldn't be able to stack other things on top of it.
DementedPurple

Post by DementedPurple »

Of course, it could also be simply because these tech companies want to cash in on these modern "trends" to make their system sell. One of these trends that I absolutely hate is that everybody thinks that buttons are ugly. I can understand not wanting to have giant buttons covering the entire surface of the system, but this has just gone way too far. I had a friend ask me to fix his Xbox One, and when I came over to fix it, the first thing I asked was "Where is the power button?" You shouldn't have to do that! Of course, game consoles are nothing compared to TVs. TV manufactures like to put the buttons on the back, on the side, or basically anywhere except for in the front. I'm okay with your product looking nice, but when looking nice has more of a priority over ease of use, then I have a problem.
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

If there's a lack of buttons, i can kind of understand it. Mechanical travel devices can be expensive, like toggle switches, potentiometers, etc. But now that you mention it, i'd much prefer if the buttons of my monitor were behind a lid on the front. I always struggle with the hidden mini buttons on my monitor.
DementedPurple

Post by DementedPurple »

Well for my TV speakers, it certainly wasn't the cost of mechanical buttons, because it uses something that's kind of like a touch screen but it doesn't display anything. I don't know how it works, but I can sure bet that that's a whole lot more expensive then real buttons!
strat

Post by strat »

What I'm really wondering is if the 3DS will be phased out in favor of concentrating only on the Switch. They seem to have more of the same relationship as the SNES and GB (or GC and GBA) - the dedicated handheld can get the cute lil' weird games with lower production values while the console (console/handheld in this case) gets the AAA games. But if the Switch is a handheld, isn't that splitting the market? But then should the Switch even be considered a handheld when clearly it's meant to be hooked up to the TV?

To answer my own question, the portability of the Switch is clearly being marketed as a convenience for social gaming. You're supposed to take your Switch to a friend's house for Mario Kart, not whip it out on the subway and go Lynel hunting. But a portable device it still is. So I think Nintendo will stretch out the 3DS as long as they can, but it's not going to be replaced with another dual-screen 3D handheld since that really will be competing with the Switch. And it's not going to be supported forever. The "New" 2DS is a sign of the 3DS being on its way out - remember the top-loader NES (or AV Famicom), SNES Jr., Wii Mini, etc.

Oh, and if Nintendo is ever forced out of the hardware business, it's not going down without a struggle. They have at no point been in the same position Sega was in during the Saturn and Dreamcast eras. They will need a massive tank of a failure to get there.
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

The 3ds was released in 2011. It has enjoyed a life span some consoles would be envious of. It has yet to beat the decade-long retail availability of the DS, though.
Jeroen

Post by Jeroen »

DementedPurple wrote:Well for my TV speakers, it certainly wasn't the cost of mechanical buttons, because it uses something that's kind of like a touch screen but it doesn't display anything. I don't know how it works, but I can sure bet that that's a whole lot more expensive then real buttons!
Actually often having touch buttons is cheaper than having full button assemblies. This is because you can just use a small piece of pcb material (which can be a snap off part of the rest of your product's pcb) and many microcontrollers nowadays have touch sensing pins built in.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

FrankenGraphics wrote:I promise to buy a Switch if they promise to STOP lighting up the touch screen of my Wii U in the middle of the night with commercials about the switch on it, and likewise stop flashing the bright blue LED of the home button at equally inconvenient times to notify there's garbage to be looked at in the eShop. :evil: I'm one step away from banning it in my router.
My Wii U doesn't do that. Is this what the "spotpass" feature that I never enabled does?
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Huh, it might be. Looking at wiki and ign, it seems to be for automatically downloading application-specific content (new SMB wii u and pikmin 3 has gimmicks, apparently), magazine articles for e-readers, patches and firmware updates, while playing a game or while "dormant". But it also sounds like the perfect backdoor for ads, so... will check my settings tomorrow. Thanks for bringing up the feature!
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

Jeroen wrote: Actually often having touch buttons is cheaper than having full button assemblies. This is because you can just use a small piece of pcb material (which can be a snap off part of the rest of your product's pcb) and many microcontrollers nowadays have touch sensing pins built in.
This is extremely annoying. Even kitchens have this touch button trend when it's just so much easier and more convenient to turn a knob to cook something !

As for TVs, now they are designed so they can *only* be operated with a remote. Back then, the remote was here so you don't need to stand up and go to your post to change the settings, but can stay sitted in your sofa. It was an alternative to directly handling the TV device. Now it's usually the only option, so that it makes the TV worthless if the remove runs out of batteries and/or if you loose it.
I promise to buy a Switch if they promise to STOP lighting up the touch screen of my Wii U in the middle of the night with commercials about the switch on it, and likewise stop flashing the bright blue LED of the home button at equally inconvenient times to notify there's garbage to be looked at in the eShop
I can't belive a device could be that stupied :shock:
Can't you remove the plug (or for portable devices - remove the battery) to get rid of such annoyances ?
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

In the case of wii u, the poltergeist-besieged device is battery backed. You'd need to unscrew the back panel for that to work.
Attachments
IMG_7320.JPG
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

Bregalad wrote:Can't you remove the plug (or for portable devices - remove the battery) to get rid of such annoyances ?
I mentioned a couple posts above, this is an option you can turn on or off. They call it "spotpass" and it causes it to download demos and news and whatnot. (I turned it off immediately the first time it downloaded a demo without asking.)

Or maybe it's this alerts setting, I'm not sure exactly, but I definitely have all that stuff turned off:
https://www.howtogeek.com/213969/how-to ... s-gamepad/