Drawing the world map on different hardware

Discuss technical or other issues relating to programming the Nintendo Entertainment System, Famicom, or compatible systems. See the NESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

Bregalad

Re: Drawing the world map on different hardware

Post by Bregalad »

I was too young to be interested in games at that time, but I heard that the SNES games were crazy expensive in the console's early days, something like the equivalent of 130€ per game. Maybe this was just in Switzerland though ?

No toploader NES was released here though, so if people wanted a NES they just had to buy the regular front-loading model, even late in the console's life (that or a famiclone).
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

To be fair, new NES releases were just as expensive.
calima

Post by calima »

Looks like they were like that here in Finland too. Sources say 600mk aka 100 euros in 2002 money, inflation-adjusted it would be 128 eur today.
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Post by FrankenGraphics »

I seem to remember NES games being 399 to 499 SEK in stores while SNES games were 499 to 599 at some point around '95 (i remember the time vaguely because Magic the Gathering 4th edition was newly out in the same stores). The inflation from that time is ~1.25.

Just a few years later on nes games could be bought second hand for 50 SEK a piece with no regard to what game it was.

Was Bergsala the general agent in all of scandinavia + finland, or just sweden?
thefox

Post by thefox »

FrankenGraphics wrote:Was Bergsala the general agent in all of scandinavia + finland, or just sweden?
Finland at least.
Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: fo.aspekt.fi
gauauu

Post by gauauu »

Sumez wrote:To be fair, new NES releases were just as expensive.
In Midwest US, my memory is that NES games were generally $30-$50, and snes were more $40-70.

Although the price of SNES games dropped faster. Years after the NES release, the price of games barely budged. SNES games dropped to $20-30 after just a couple of years. (At least in the stores near me)
Marscaleb

Post by Marscaleb »

gauauu wrote:
Sumez wrote:To be fair, new NES releases were just as expensive.
In Midwest US, my memory is that NES games were generally $30-$50, and snes were more $40-70.
I never saw a SNES game for more than $50.
At least, not that was just a game. I believe Mario Paint was $60, but it came with a mouse and a mousepad. I think a couple RPGs that came with strategy guides might have been a little higher priced. But if it was just a game, it was no more than $50.

Now I have this recollection of NES games being $60 when the system was first released, but that was when I was too young to really be aware of pricing, so I could be wrong. I suppose it also could have been markup since there might not have been such rules against it back then, but I could be completely wrong.

But I am certain about SNES games being $50, because I remember saving up my money to buy some. In fact, that's how I bought my Super Nintendo. My brother and I walked home for a couple months and saved our bus fare.
So yeah, I remember people being put off by the price of the SNES, and a lot of families not getting one. But you know what? I had one.
gauauu

Post by gauauu »

Marscaleb wrote: I never saw a SNES game for more than $50.
Final Fantasy II was $70 at my local Wal-Mart for a while. I wanted that game so badly, but couldn't bring myself to pay that much.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

Where I'm from (Ontario, Canada) new SNES games were usually about $70 CAD. Older games tended to go for a lot cheaper.

Chrono Trigger was $100 CAD the day it came out (late 1995), and that was unusually expensive. I had been saving for a long time and was ready! The only other SNES game I remember with such a high price was Earthbound.

At the time the CAD / USD exchange rate was something like 75 cents, and if you want to account for inflation I think we're looking at ~150% since then.

Here's a video game catalogue from 1996, and the prices look about right to me:
http://www.cdarchive.ca/UltimateVideo1996.pdf
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Post by FrankenGraphics »

video game catalogue
Wow! No wonder virtual boy never succeeded (apart from the concept being a little too ahead of the technology). They were clearly awkward marketing it not being able to display the core feature. Instead of just showing a flat image, there's just lacklustre logotypes...