I read this:

Quote:
Duty Cycle Sequences

Duty Waveform sequence
0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 (12.5%)
1 0 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 (25%)
2 0 1 1 1 1 0 0 0 (50%)
3 1 0 0 1 1 1 1 1 (25% negated)

The reason for these odd sequences is that the sequence counter is initialized to zero but counts downward rather than upward

This is my approach:

Code:
auto APU::Pulse::clock() -> uint8 {
  if(!sweep.checkPeriod()) return 0;
  if(lengthCounter == 0) return 0;

static const uint dutyTable[4][8] = {
    {0, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0},  //12.5%
    {0, 1, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0},  //25.0%
    {0, 1, 1, 1, 1, 0, 0, 0},  //50.0%
    {1, 0, 0, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1},  //25.0% (inverted)
  };
  uint8 result = dutyTable[duty][dutyCounter] ? envelope.volume() : 0;
  if(sweep.pulsePeriod < 0x008) result = 0;

if(--periodCounter == 0) {
    periodCounter = (sweep.pulsePeriod + 1) * 2;
    dutyCounter--;  //note this is a uint3 type. If the value is zero, dutyCounter-- becomes 7.
  }

return result;
}

($4003, $4007 writes set dutyCounter=7 currently.)

By counting backward, it will effectively output:

Which looks nice, but I'm not sure if that's the intention or not.

But if you really mean we should be outputting LITERALLY:

Then why mention the decrementing thing? It's just confusing. If the counter is supposed to decrement, then store the table as if you're decrementing the counter (like my first example) and say you should decrement. If the counter is supposed to increment, then store the table in that order (like the second table) and don't talk about decrementing. Really, it's not a great code simplification to turn a decrement into an increment, in return for making the table look like hot garbage. >_>

Any help would be appreciated. I'd try to emulate this by ear but I cannot tell the difference at all between either way.

Post subject: Re: APU Pulse
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:38 pm 

byuu wrote:
But if you really mean we should be outputting LITERALLY:

That's correct. (Blargg's original doc doesn't mention decrementing, somebody probably added it based on Visual 2A03.)

Quote:
Then why mention the decrementing thing?

I agree that it's worded in a confusing way. It should say something like "... sequence counter in the NES APU hardware is initialized to zero ...".

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:44 pm 

I think the page mentions decrementing in order to explain how the circuit produces the sequence internally. I have edited the page to clarify this, giving both the lookup table and the resulting output.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:18 pm 

The information of primary importance is the output sequence. That's what matters.

What it does internally is irrelevant to an emulator, or for working with the output sound (e.g. making music). Nothing depends on whether it's counting up or down. Maybe it's nice to know why that weird sequence exists, but it's far more important that it just get the output correct.

I'd probably suggest making a separate "internal details" section further down in the article and explain that stuff there... I dunno. I just feel like the more words and diagrams you spend on those internal details the more it's going to confuse the useful bit about the actual output. Like, right now we have two tables, one with bits that it doesn't output, which precedes the table with bits that it does?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:33 pm 
Formerly Fx3

rainwarrior wrote:
The information of primary importance is the output sequence. That's what matters.

What it does internally is irrelevant to an emulator, or for working with the output sound (e.g. making music). Nothing depends on whether it's counting up or down. Maybe it's nice to know why that weird sequence exists, but it's far more important that it just get the output correct.

Agreed.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:41 pm 

...and done. Everything about the decreasing counter has been moved down to the "Implementation details" section.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:55 pm 

Yeah, that's probably an improvement.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:33 pm 

Quote:

Right, but the output sequence changes completely depending on whether you increment or decrement through the 8-entry duty modes. The table expects [well, did. Updated now :)] you to increment (without telling you to do so), but then adds a note that it looks weird because real hardware decrements. I'm not a very bright person, and took it to mean that -I- should be decrementing in emulation (as I'm trying to emulate how the hardware worked here), which indeed made the true output look really nice and clean. Which is apparently wrong.

Quote:
...and done. Everything about the decreasing counter has been moved down to the "Implementation details" section.

Thanks a bunch! That looks nicer :D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:04 pm 

byuu wrote:
I'd try to emulate this by ear but I cannot tell the difference at all between either way.
The apu_mixer\square test rom's sound output should vary based on whether or not this is implemented properly (though the test will also vary based on a lot of other factors).

I actually misinterpreted the information on the Wiki in the exact same way a while ago and also ended up creating a thread about it, so it's definitely nice that the wiki's wording was changed to make this more obvious.