Nesdev.com funding

Discuss technical or other issues relating to programming the Nintendo Entertainment System, Famicom, or compatible systems. See the NESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

How should I fund a new server

Keep the ads, but make them fit in better
35%
Ditch the ads and accept donations
55%
Neither option (please specify and alternative in a reply to this post)
9%

Total votes: 65

Bulldoggamer

Re: Nesdev.com funding

Post by Bulldoggamer »

I'd do a Patreon, or monthly recurring Paypal subscription. As others have said, Patreon is a great idea.
Punch

Post by Punch »

Patreon is an excellent idea but it might get the attention of Nintendo? I know nothing here is necessarily illegal but usually it's not a matter of who's right, but who has the bigger legal budget.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
B00daW

Post by B00daW »

Rich bullies shouldn't have any more influence; so I don't recognize that as an issue. Corruption is corruption. There's legal money and fines to be made from corruption in the same way that kick-backs are given to fascist public figures. If Nintendo wanted to take down NESdev, they would have a long time ago. Without NESdev there likely would not be the prevalence of their PC emulation and console Virtual Console markets.

I wouldn't sweat that too much, plus it's not like we're poor and will lay down like dogs on the issue if someone wants a fight.
tepples

Post by tepples »

If Nintendo wanted to go after public discussion of development of unlicensed games for patent-expired platforms, it would have done so around the release of the first Battle Kid. At this point, if WhoaMan has a lawyer, he can plead laches: Nintendo has been aware yet unreasonably delayed suit.
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

Punch wrote:Patreon is an excellent idea but it might get the attention of Nintendo? I know nothing here is necessarily illegal but usually it's not a matter of who's right, but who has the bigger legal budget.
Paratheon is horrible. It requires a credit card and many people (I for instance) do not have any. It requires you to donate money every month when you would want to do yearly or single-time donations.
Myask

Post by Myask »

Feels a little incongruous seeing forum ads for things that are in the wiki's abusefilter. I suppose paying advertisers differ from spam in that they're paying.
nintendo2600

Post by nintendo2600 »

Keep the Ads but allow for a subscription\donation option to remove the ads for those users.
zansatsu0

Post by zansatsu0 »

I see Patreon suggested and I think it's perfect. It allows users to use PayPal too.

I am rarely logged in mainly because I'm absorbing the words of the gurus here, but I say keep the ads. They are bearable.

I will definitely throw money at NESDev for a new server. This place is like any other institution of higher learning and my tuition is simply due.
micronix

Post by micronix »

Bregalad wrote:Paratheon is horrible. It requires a credit card and many people (I for instance) do not have any. It requires you to donate money every month when you would want to do yearly or single-time donations.
You can donate one-time on Patreon by just deleting your pledge after you have been charged the first time. Also it's not hard to get a credit/debit card. Just go to your bank and ask for a card. Mastercard and Visa are the most common.
Last edited by lidnariq on Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: spam was edited in
tepples

Post by tepples »

micronix wrote:Also it's not hard to get a credit/debit card. Just go to your bank and ask for a card. Mastercard and Visa are the most common.
Not nowadays in the era of stricter anti-money-laundering laws, sometimes collectively called "Know Your Customer". To establish a customer's identity and tax the interest paid on deposits, the bank requires several documents that an older minor or young adult may not be able to produce on a moment's notice. User "Burgundy Settee #3" in the Cyanide & Happiness fan community has run into roadblocks with this.
GradualGames

Post by GradualGames »

How about some nesdev merch? I'd love a nesdev teeshirt or even a cc65 tee shirt. :D
calima

Post by calima »

cc65 isn't affiliated with nesdev.
GradualGames

Post by GradualGames »

calima wrote:cc65 isn't affiliated with nesdev.
Yeah I know. I want a tee shirt anyway. :lol:
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

GradualGames wrote:How about some nesdev merch? I'd love a nesdev teeshirt or even a cc65 tee shirt. :D
Wow. Personally I already have 50+ teeshirts 'cause I volunteer in a lot of events and they always rewards with a tshirt, so getting more isn't going to be very useful.
NovaSquirrel

Post by NovaSquirrel »

I would totally wear nesdev related shirts if they were for sale, and then wear them to show off that I'm an ultra nerd.