Would it be possible to make Mega Man 10 truck?

Discuss technical or other issues relating to programming the Nintendo Entertainment System, Famicom, or compatible systems. See the NESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

MartsINY

Would it be possible to make Mega Man 10 truck?

Post by MartsINY »

I wondered if it would be possible to make Mega Man 10 truck exactly the same?

I know I can't use sprite since there is too much. So I need to use Name Table and have 2 screen in 1.

However, as far as I understand this, since the truck is in the middle and there is a roof and a floor, I would need to either accept there is no floor, no roof (or a special floor/roof for which the animation wouldn't be scrapped.

Am I right and if so, would there be another way?
rainwarrior

Re: Would it be possible to make Mega Man 10 truck?

Post by rainwarrior »

The trucks in Nitro Man stage?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj9GxenNzsc

I think these are 100% doable. You'd need a few sprites for some overlapping edges but almost all of the truck could easily go on a background layer.

You don't have to choose between roof and floor if you have a mapper with IRQ (e.g. MMC3). You can have more than one raster split (i.e. for the top and bottom of truck area).
MartsINY

Post by MartsINY »

rainwarrior wrote:The trucks in Nitro Man stage?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj9GxenNzsc

I think these are 100% doable. You'd need a few sprites for some overlapping edges but almost all of the truck could easily go on a background layer.

You don't have to choose between roof and floor if you have a mapper with IRQ (e.g. MMC3). You can have more than one raster split (i.e. for the top and bottom of truck area).

yes those trucks!! Thanks for answer. Would you have an example of a game with 2 raster split that allow only the middle part of screen to be modified? I only found game with ones. But if I could have 2 I see how I could make it.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

Bucky O'Hare is full of stuff like that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWHPNnrTmKs#t=4m16s
MartsINY

Post by MartsINY »

rainwarrior wrote:Bucky O'Hare is full of stuff like that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWHPNnrTmKs#t=4m16s

Holy ****!!!

exactly what I needed, thanks a lot!!!!
Myask

Post by Myask »

Rainwarrior's answer is not entirely fitting, because you can in MM10 freeze them with Chill Spike and have them collide with each other (or, at least, not both be moving). Which won't work for just raster scrollsplits.

If you had the truck body as BG and the edges as sprites to get around this (which would be quite annoying to code, like having a 4-8 Quickman lasers going all at once) you could do it?

ETA: by quickman laser, I mean a continuous BG segment of horizontally-uniform stuff like the tralier of the later, bigger trucks in Nitro Man with its edges obscured by moving sprites.
Last edited by Myask on Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

Or just make them not freezable, or limit them to one at a time.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
MartsINY

Post by MartsINY »

Will probably limit them to one at a time. If I freeze them it will be with a stopper so I won't need 2