pcx2snes win won't work!

Are you new to 6502, NES, or even programming in general? Post any of your questions here. Remember - the only dumb question is the question that remains unasked.

Moderator: Moderators

Nathonion

pcx2snes win won't work!

Post by Nathonion »

So I've recently started looking into snes assembly programming (I don't know if this site does snes or not, but it seems like it does, so I'm posting here anyway), and I've been reading this tutorial that says to use pcx2snes for sprite design. However, whenever I open it, it gives me this error:

"Component 'COMDLG32.OCX' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid"

So I decided to look for this file, (the link in the tutorial just gave me the exe and a txt, I think it was old) I found the original one with these extra files, but it still didn't work, giving me the same error. Please help! :D
tepples

Re: pcx2snes win won't work!

Post by tepples »

If you're willing to install Python for Windows (per instructions) and use the Windows Command Prompt, the converter in my LoROM project template for ca65 supports Super NES tile format (but not palette format). Then you can take an indexed PNG made in GIMP (or any other paint program capable of producing indexed color images) and turn your 128xwhatever pixel tile sheet into CHR data.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

Nathonion wrote:"Component 'COMDLG32.OCX' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid"
I believe that's an old Visual Studio 6.0 runtime component. The correct way to get that OCX (and others you likely need, this is just the first error you're getting) is probably to install the Visual Studio 6.0 runtime redistributable from Microsoft.

Or, as tepples was sort of suggestion, maybe just find software that was made more recently. PCX2SNES is about 16 years old, and people don't normally have those old controls installed on their systems anymore.
Nathonion

Post by Nathonion »

If that's the case, do you have any suggestions? Preferably something that outputs .inc files (As stated earlier, I am just recently starting to learn snes assembly, so I am a total noob, and the tutorial I'm reading says to do that :P )
tepples

Post by tepples »

pilbmp2nes.py from the LoROM template makes files that you can .incbin, but you have to pass a planemap to make it use one of the Super NES tile formats.
  • 2-bit (Super NES mode 0, mode 1 BG2, mode 4 and 5 BG1, and Game Boy):
    tools/pilbmp2nes.py --planes '0,1' kitten.png kitten.chrgb
  • 4-bit (Super NES modes 1, 2, 5, 6, and sprites, and TG16 background tiles):
    tools/pilbmp2nes.py --planes '0,1;2,3' kitten.png kitten.chrsfc
  • 8-bit planar (Super NES modes 3 and 4):
    tools/pilbmp2nes.py --planes '0,1;2,3;4,5;6,7' kitten.png kitten.chrm3
  • 8-bit packed (Super NES mode 7):
    tools/pilbmp2nes.py --planes '76543210' kitten.png kitten.chrm7