Score add in C

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

tschak909

Score add in C

Post by tschak909 »

This one is putting me in the fetal position, because I am deliberately trying to avoid the division and modulo that is used in the canonical algorithms for converting numbers to an ASCII string, e.g.

Code: Select all

char* itoa(int num, char* str, int base)
{
    int i = 0;
    bool isNegative = false;

/* Handle 0 explicitely, otherwise empty string is printed for 0 */
    if (num == 0)
    {
        str[i++] = '0';
        str[i] = '\0';
        return str;
    }

// In standard itoa(), negative numbers are handled only with 
    // base 10. Otherwise numbers are considered unsigned.
    if (num < 0 && base == 10)
    {
        isNegative = true;
        num = -num;
    }

// Process individual digits
    while (num != 0)
    {
        int rem = num % base;
        str[i++] = (rem > 9)? (rem-10) + 'a' : rem + '0';
        num = num/base;
    }

// If number is negative, append '-'
    if (isNegative)
        str[i++] = '-';

str[i] = '\0'; // Append string terminator

// Reverse the string
    reverse(str, i);

return str;
}
Implementing a string to string addition works except when I try to handle the carry, and I've implemented it nine times (yes, I actually am saying this in Ed Rooney's voice), and can't seem to make an algorithm that handles the carry correctly.

I suck atm.

-Thom
tepples

Re: Score add in C

Post by tepples »

Omegamatrix wrote a 16 bits to 5 digits converter that finishes in less than 200 cycles. It's written in assembly language, but if you ask nicely, someone can adapt its calling convention to work when called from C code compiled by cc65.
tschak909

Post by tschak909 »

tepples wrote:Omegamatrix wrote a 16 bits to 5 digits converter that finishes in less than 200 cycles. It's written in assembly language, but if you ask nicely, someone can adapt its calling convention to work when called from C code compiled by cc65.
Ah, Omegamatrix is here too. I've known him for over a decade on AtariAge. He hasn't signed on in over a year in either place, it seems...

-Thom
zzo38

Post by zzo38 »

I invented another way (for signed 16-bit numbers into decimal), which however requires many more ROM tables and special pattern tables. I have not compared the speed

However, in some cases you can just work in base 10 or base 100 for scoring anyways and it will work, and you do not need to convert (although you can't use 6502 decimal mode so you have to implement it by yourself instead). (It depends much on the program.)
(Free Hero Mesh - FOSS puzzle game engine)
tschak909

Post by tschak909 »

zzo38 wrote:I invented another way (for signed 16-bit numbers into decimal), which however requires many more ROM tables and special pattern tables. I have not compared the speed

However, in some cases you can just work in base 10 or base 100 for scoring anyways and it will work, and you do not need to convert (although you can't use 6502 decimal mode so you have to implement it by yourself instead). (It depends much on the program.)
I wound up doing it like this:

Code: Select all

#include <stdio.h>
#include <math.h>

static unsigned char score0[7]={"0000100"};
static unsigned char score1[7]={"0000000"};

static unsigned char i;
static unsigned char a;

/**
 * Add score0 to score1
 */
void add_points(void)
{
  a=0; // clear carry

// Convert result to binary.
  for (i=6;i-->0; )
    {
      score0[i]=score0[i]-'0';
      score1[i]=score1[i]-'0';
    }

// Add each piece
  for (i=6;i-->0; )
    {
      score1[i]=score0[i]+score1[i]+a;
      a=(score1[i]>9);
      if (a)
        score1[i]-=10;
    }

// Convert result back to ASCII
  for (i=6;i-->0; )
    {
      score0[i]=score0[i]+'0';
      score1[i]=score1[i]+'0';
    }
}

void main(void)
{
  for (int q=0;q<1000;++q)
    {
      add_points();
      printf("%c%c%c%c%c%c%c\n",score1[0],score1[1],score1[2],score1[3],score1[4],score1[5],score1[6]);
    }
}
Although, I am altering the ASCII converts, as my number tiles start a 0x01 now.

-Thom
thefox

Post by thefox »

I spy with my little eye a bug. Your loop should start from i=7 since you decrement in the loop condition. (Which, I have to say, is a very non-standard thing to do, but I think I see why you did it.) Anyway, as it is right now the least significant digit is not handled. I'd also get rid of the binary/ASCII conversions altogether, and simply adjust the comparison in the addition loop. (E.g., if you want to keep using ASCII, generate carry when result > '0'+9.)
Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: fo.aspekt.fi
tschak909

Post by tschak909 »

Correct on both counts, have fixed this, and will post up in the wiki. :)

-Thom
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

Have you looked into storing your 'unpacked BCD' representations little-endian? It would let you add different sizes of numbers easily, rather than requiring everything in 6 bytes.
tschak909

Post by tschak909 »

lidnariq wrote:Have you looked into storing your 'unpacked BCD' representations little-endian? It would let you add different sizes of numbers easily, rather than requiring everything in 6 bytes.
That's a definite possibility, for now it's on my list of crunching bytes to save space.

-Thom